New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Bee w/ a 1978 MC... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome... With a little TLC she will be a great ride...

Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 AM

welcome.. looking forward to pics of the progress.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM

You have it completely opposite brother, the older you go the easier it is to work on. As you start to go newer in years there's more electrical components allowing more things to go wrong. I have a 1977 Monte Carlo and when it isn't driving well I can almost instantaneously call out what the problem is. Parts really aren't expensive, and the engine itself is easy to work on. 305s are really good to learn on that's what I have in mine and will keep in mine until I save money and invest in a 383 stroker or a perhaps a supercharger. You have something that's a lot easier to maintain than you are playing it up to be my dad and the general public tends to believe that older = harder when that's really not the case. Now if you have a 1965 Mustang, that's where parts become harder to find but we just don't fall into that class of muscle cars where it costs thousands to rebuild. I have a second gen and I can literally pick up parts for as much or cheaper than my room mates 1998 Dodge Ram.

As for starting out check your fluids, both tranny and oil. Then move on to brakes, make sure you have good brake lines etc. I highly recommend taking some trips to the junk yard for seats, doors, fenders and any cosmetic thing that's that big of a class. As for carpet check ebay they sell premade carpet that can fit your monte carlo. Then move to paint and continue on up the food chain there's many people on this site that can give you tips on cosmetics. I personally am not a 3rd gen man, I thought they looked to similar to my room mates back in the dorms 1988 oldsmobile.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes and the good info you guys have... looking forward for more. I bought few parts off ebay and some parts I thought I really need from www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com . I am gonna start working on the basics and move upwards from their... I will be posting pictures soon. Haven't had time to load them up to my laptop from SLR..but will soon.

Btw how good are those ABS headliner boards, I think I need one but not sure yet until i tear some of that cloth that is hanging off it, the foam seems to be dissappearing...

Thank you all for the good info once more.. keep the advice comming.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Welcome to the site.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Hey man, Ive done a few headliners in the past. If your board aint all busted up it can probly be recovered. The hardest part is getting the board out of the car without breaking it. Once out I always use a scrub brush to remove the rotten foam. Gotta brush lightly or you may tear up the board. Let the brush do the work. If you buy real headliner material (its the only way to go) it already has the foam on it. Get you a can of 3m headliner glue, and spray the board. Dont put it on to thick as it will bleed through the new material and ruin it.. Once the material is on and pretty much dry, then go through and cut out the dome light and visor holes. Good luck man.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM

welcome

Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Good luck with everything!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Good luck with everything!
Thanks, nice ride btw.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bitchnbobb
Hey man, Ive done a few headliners in the past. If your board aint all busted up it can probly be recovered. The hardest part is getting the board out of the car without breaking it. Once out I always use a scrub brush to remove the rotten foam. Gotta brush lightly or you may tear up the board. Let the brush do the work. If you buy real headliner material (its the only way to go) it already has the foam on it. Get you a can of 3m headliner glue, and spray the board. Dont put it on to thick as it will bleed through the new material and ruin it.. Once the material is on and pretty much dry, then go through and cut out the dome light and visor holes. Good luck man.
where to find the real headliner material...

Quick Reply: New Bee w/ a 1978 MC... need advice