New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

My first car, loving it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member
Default My first car, loving it.

Hey so I just bought my 2002 monte carlo ss, limited edition. It came with all the options and only has 118k miles on it. I think the car was originally sold in Canada and thus I think some things are odd about the car. Everywhere I read online it says that the SS has a 17 gallon fuel tank, but I have yet to put in over 13 gallons with some serious top off (I assume its got a gallon left in the tank) I don't fill it up untill the low gas light comes on. Is this the normal gas tank for this momodel year or was the tank different in canada? Or maybe is it an aftermarket tank. I know that one of the owners before me had the exhuast done and possibly some other things. Also my air intake sounds different than the others I heard, it almost sounds like the air is being forced in like a turbo, but the 2002 wasn't a boosted engine. Is that the norm for this car? (No other 2002 SS' around) or is it possibly soemthing to do with the custom exhaust?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 AM

Can't answer about the fuel tank but if its not holding 17 gallons then it would have to be a non stock fuel tank. Either that or your gauge isn't accurate when it tells you it's time to fill up. The air intake is simple to tell if its stock or not. Take a picture of your engine compartment and I'll tell you. If its stock your air intake will be in a box on the drivers side of the engine compartment behind the headlight. If its not stock you likely have your air intake outlet exposed in the open. The exhaust might give it somewhat of a throaty sound but it won't sound like air is being forced into the engine because the exhaust is letting emissions out. Sure there could be a turbo but it wouldn't be stock. If I'm correct they didn't start supercharging any monte's till 2004.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with griffindor about the fuel tank because I don't stop putting f uhh el in till I reach 17 gallons
But maybe yoj have an aftermarket intake. I have a cold air intake and when I do a cold start or when I'm cruisin I ca hear air being sucked in...cool sound

Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Griffindor
Can't answer about the fuel tank but if its not holding 17 gallons then it would have to be a non stock fuel tank. Either that or your gauge isn't accurate when it tells you it's time to fill up. The air intake is simple to tell if its stock or not. Take a picture of your engine compartment and I'll tell you. If its stock your air intake will be in a box on the drivers side of the engine compartment behind the headlight. If its not stock you likely have your air intake outlet exposed in the open. The exhaust might give it somewhat of a throaty sound but it won't sound like air is being forced into the engine because the exhaust is letting emissions out. Sure there could be a turbo but it wouldn't be stock. If I'm correct they didn't start supercharging any monte's till 2004.
I was thinking about the fuel tank and your probably right that's its non stock, the home center estimated milage will tell me I'm getting lower milage than I actually am. Maybe ill put a can of gas in the back next weekend and run the car till its empty. The air intake looks a lot like what you are describing but it sounds like a cold air intake like described by owens. I'm very unfamlilar with this enhine so don't know exactly what to look for. My brother has a grandprix with a 3800 series II so maybe ill look at his for camparison.

Last edited by dbaldwin; 08-06-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Putting 13 in when the light comes on isn't that far off.. Run it all the way to the red line on the fuel gauge then put fuel in. When I do that I usually put about 15.5 gallons in.

As for the intake, post a pic? Check to make sure there's a filter in there and if there isn't put one in immediately.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Putting 13 in when the light comes on isn't that far off.. Run it all the way to the red line on the fuel gauge then put fuel in. When I do that I usually put about 15.5 gallons in.

As for the intake, post a pic? Check to make sure there's a filter in there and if there isn't put one in immediately.
Did some lookong at the intake. Looks like it is stock. I just can't figure out why it sounds this way. Checked and cleaned filter. Its louder when I cold start the car. As for the fuel I'm still pretty lost. By the time I get it to a gas station I'm hitting the red line. And the homlink milage estimate is under 30 miles left.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Hi `dBaldwin,
Please read below & decide `if you want to run your gas tank low...
I had to learn the hard way...I hope the below helps you & the readers of the below article...
Running on empty: Low gas in the tank can be costly $$$ 4-$ure Oh `no

Consumer Reports News:

Most motorists today are pained at the thought of filling up with gasoline as prices hover around $5.00, but for those who put off the fuel stop until the last possibly moment, the costs could be even higher.
Waiting until your gas tank is almost empty before a fill up can be pricey, could be dangerous and downright inconvenient. “While the cases are rare, there is real potential of a costly mechanical problem,” says Consumer Reports Auto Test Center shop supervisor and certified mechanic John Ibbotson.
The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail. The repair could end up costing a couple hundred dollars to fix—much more than the $4.00/gallon fill up.
Also, if there is dirt in the fuel tank, it could lead to blocking the fuel filter; again, another expensive repair.
Another effect of driving on a low tank is the risk of getting stranded or even in an accident when the car suddenly stops running--you could be in the middle of a busy highway or on a deserted road.
Luckily, these scary scenarios are preventable. Here are some tips to keep in mind to avoid running out of gas.
  • Keep your gas tank no less than ¼ full.
  • Fill up before heading out on a long trip or to work as you could get stuck in traffic and have a longer ride than intended.
  • Don’t rely on your car to tell you how many miles are left, as those range numbers can be deceiving and run down quickly, depending on how you drive.
  • We all want to save money at the pump, but instead of driving miles away to the gas station, use online tools or even smart phone apps to find the cheapest gas near your house.
So far, AAA hasn’t seen any measurable increase in roadside assistance calls for running out of gas—it’s still about 2 percent of the 30 million calls they receive each year. Let’s hope it stays that way, for cars stuck on the roadside are dangerous and can lead to traffic congestion, which in turn can reduce the fuel economy for hundreds of passersby.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
1 Year Member

Took a closer look at my air filter (dont work on a car tired and in the dark) This is what I found

still sounds unusual to me (a little throaty-er) but the car feels better now. Put in a wix filter and waiting for the K&N on back order.