New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

my 97 monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Default my 97 monte

Having just received my 97 monte back in very sick condition, I am sure that I will get a wealth of information here. I have decided that since I have to make him road worthy again I will take the time and put him in all his glory. My first thought was a Northstar transplant, but that idea is beginning to have less and less appeal. Right now he has a 3.1 with either a blown headgasket, or if I'm lucky an intake that is allowing the motor to dump all its coolant into the oilpan. It runs smooth, but when you open the oil filler the motor is full of creamy p-nut butter.And not the tasty kind either. I'm gonna pull the intake and see if I got lucky or not. Any ideas? As for the rest of him, he has been cedarchoppered to the max, and I got alot of work to make him look good again. I had 16inch A. R. E.s on him with dunlap 225-60-16s when he left. Now I have 2 of those, with 205 non matching banana peels, on the front, and a set of 16" bonneville rims on the back with 235-16 goodyear tires. Any thoughts onwhat to do after I get done with the jailtime I'm gonna have for killing the s.o.!!!!! that did this to my car ? lol

Old 12-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Default RE: my 97 monte

Welcome to the forum!

First boneyard or ebay for new rims and rubber. Also think L67 swap (3.8 supercharged). This engine has alot more power and modifications available for it. Also is it a much easier and less costly swap than the N*.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

Welcome to the forum!

First boneyard or ebay for new rims and rubber. Also think L67 swap (3.8 supercharged). This engine has alot more power and modifications available for it. Also is it a much easier and less costly swap than the N*.
Wise words....I was thinking something along the same lines myself. Even if it's just the intake that is somehow dumping coolant into your oil pan, I would look into an L67 swap anyway...not a bad idea and probably cost you about the same for a complete rebuild.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your Monte...what a shame.

ORIGINAL: Danny
Any thoughts on what to do after I get done with the jailtime I'm gonna have for killing the s.o.!!!!! that did this to my car ?
Lol...sure...if you get a good lawyer you could probably get out in 7-10. I would suggest a 2017 Z06!!! Lol..

Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM

Well I got all the figures together, and even working where I do it's gonna be $4000. to $5000. to put monte back together again, and that's not counting the paint and body work I have to do. I work for a wrecking yard and I think I could probably find an 03 to 05 that would be rebuildable, with a good drivetrain, and probably not spend that much money. So I guess that is probably gonna be the way I go. I sure hate to give up on the 97, but it just doesn't make sense to have that much money in the 97 when I can upgrade for less. We just did an 06 300M for my bosse's wife and he had less than $ 6000.00 in it when we got thru.However, if any
one comes up with a hunting permit for backwoods cederchoppin buttheads I'm in the market.

Danny