New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Mickey Mouse 1981 Monte Carlo Turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Default Mickey Mouse 1981 Monte Carlo Turbo owner

Hello Everyone; my name is Gregg and I live in Lakeland Florida. I also work for a rodent. Yup that's right I work for Mickey Mouse at Walt Disney World in Orlando. As you can tell from my user name I have a thing for Mopars. Sorry guys but it has been a life long affliction. I'm not upset by it though.
How did I end up here on a Monte Carlo forum? My son in law told me he had an old Monte Carlo that was a T-top car that he had at a friends house but hadn't worked on it in a long time. He said it had engine issues. I told him that if he wanted to bring it out to my house he could store it there and I would help him work on it. A few weeks later I got a phone call from him and he said that his friend got a letter from local zoning and the car had to go. I again renewed my offer for storage and help. He said he would send the car to my house. Before the car arrived at my house he called me again and was upset. He had gone and looked at the car and it had deteriorated quite a bit and many parts were missing. He said his friend didn't know where they went. He told me that when the car got to my house that he wanted me to tell the tow truck driver to take the car to a scrap yard. He said I'm over it. I told him I wouldn't do that. I told him that I would have the tow truck driver drop the car here. I told him that if he felt the same in a few weeks that he could junk the car or I would make an offer on it, but the offer to help fix it was still open. He called me again a few days later and said he thought about it. He decided he wasn't going to fix it. He said he called a junk yard and they offered 200.00 for the car sight unseen. He told me if I wanted it for that then he was cool with that and he wanted the flow master mufflers off of it. I said how much for the mufflers because they won't fit your truck. He said if they wouldn't fit the truck he had another friend that would give 200.00 for them too. I gave him 400.00 and bought a 1981 T-TOP Monte Carlo.
When the tow truck driver was dropping the car I noticed that it had a hood scoop on it. At first I thought it was robbed from a Regal T-Type. Upon closer inspection I saw a 3.8 turbo badge with a bow tie emblem. As I walked around the car I saw the same emblem on the trunk lid and then another on the dash board. I decided to decode the VIN# and found it was a legit turbo car. I then did an internet search and found out they were only built for two years 1980 and 1981. In 1980 there were under 14000 built and in 1981 there were only 3027 built. I told my son in law what he had but it didn't make any difference. He didn't want the car any more. That is how I acquired a 1981 Monte Carlo Turbo.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum Gregg. Our lead administrator is a mopar guy. If memory serves me right, he's got a Mirada. Not sure which year.

It sounds like your son in law's car was being picked over for parts. Probably without him even knowing it. I've seen it done before. One member looked at his project Monte Carlo one day, and found the interior missing.

You have a rare third generation Monte Carlo on your hands. You may be more familiar with the 3.8 turbo V6 in the well known Buick Grand National from the same era. The Grand National and the Monte shared the same body and frame. The Grand National was known for having a lot of power in a small package (engine). If you're able to restore your Monte Carlo, you'd certainly have a fun ride on your hands. Even if it does have a bowtie on it, instead of a pentastar.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome and post pics when your allowed. Also I think you may have the longest user name on here.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Welcome Gregg to our Monte Carlo Family...

Look forward to reading everything about your rare Monte Carlo + pictures & your personal review of it's condition..

Wish you good luck on getting your Monte on the Road.
Below are pictures of a Turbo Montee (not yours: )

Source above

Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site!