Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   Ignored Monte owners (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/ignored-monte-owners-5610/)

NTIMD8T 09-18-2007 06:07 PM

RE: Ignored Monte owners

not to terribly much for the older 00-05 but when you start with perfection where do you go???

NTIMD8T 09-18-2007 06:09 PM

have to agree with space... when you start with perfection where can you go???
with the ricers all aftermarket parts especially lights make hidden horses!!
ask any ricer have one standing in front of me swearing his projector lights help cut through the wind better for an edge

GrandPaDave 09-18-2007 06:19 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Variable valve timing is just that, the engine changes the relative advance/retard of the cam timing determined by speed and programming and such. I know advance/retard is mainly when you're talking spark, but it's hard to explain how it works with the cam. Lemme see if I can find that document.

Variable Intake is something totally different. The intake has two different paths. One is shorter, while one is longer. The Longer path when at lower RPM increases the torque at lower RPM... but loses it's benefit rather quickly. At higher rpm the intake changes to a shorter path, which allows that second torque curve peak at 4800 or so RPM. Lemme see if I can find the docs...

Ok, here goes... lotta tech-lingo, but I think you'll get it:
[align=left]Variable valve timing [/align][font=epleld+arial,arial][align=left]Perhaps the most significant technological feature of the new 3.5L (or the 3.9L)V-6 is the adaptation of variable valve timing – a first for cam-in-block engines. The system incorporates a vane-type camshaft phaser that [/size]changes the angular orientation [/color]of the camshaft, thereby [color=#cc0000]adjusting the timing of the intake and exhaust valves [/size]to optimize performance and economy, and helping lower emissions. It offers infinitely variable valve timing in relation to the crankshaft. The cam phasing creates "dual equal" valve timing adjustments. In other words, the intake valves and exhaust valves are varied at the same time and at the same rate. The cam phaser vane is attached to the camshaft on the front journal – a technique made easier by the award-winning "assembled-camshaft" design pioneered by General Motors. With this design, separate camshaft lobes are installed on a hollow camshaft tube rather than the traditional method of grinding a camshaft from a single piece of stock. The cam position sensor reads a new cam target ring, with four segments that increases the accuracy of the position readings. Hydraulic roller lifters actuate the valves via pushrods.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Variable intake manifold [/align][font=epleld+arial,arial][align=left]The variable intake manifold is an engine feature usually found only on high-cost, premium European performance cars, but the new manifold design is standard with the 3.9L V-6. The active air intake optimizes incoming airflow through a valve in the intake manifold. The valve creates longer or shorter intake tracts that correspond to desired engine-performance parameters. At low engine speeds, the valve creates a longer path for intake air, enhancing combustion efficiency and torque output. At higher engine speeds, the valve opens, creating a shorter air path for maximum power production. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]And this is all off of GM's media site. Not through Chevy, but from GM's site. It kinda makes sense, if you're familier with how pulse-jet engines work it the same theory kind of. Popular Mechanics gave an award for the VVT technology, because it allowed sport car like tuning, without the much more expensive Over-head cams. The intake thing mainly works on the lower rpm side of things, even though you really feel it after 3500 rpm because it opens up and 200 RPM later the engine is just pullin like crazy.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Sorry to hijack your thread CMCSS! [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]If the car wasn't so radically different I think we'd be in different positions. We'd probably still be whining because noone makes enough stuff for the cars. That's why we have to resort to things like Group buys and all that. Company isn't going to put time and money to make a 200$ part if they're only going to sell like 10

FlynhghR 09-18-2007 09:08 PM

GPD:
GM doesn't use two cams, becausewe still have the pushrod aka cam-in-block engines. The only benefit we would have from a DOHC system would be that the exhaust and intake cams could be "phased" (as gm calls it) or advanced/retarded seperately. As it is now, the system has to do both equally, and simultaneously.

Well, the Vtec engine... from what I understand is only the inline four... so they have one cam for the intake, and one for the exhaust valves. As a result, if Honda wanted/needed, the intake timing could be changed seperately, and differently from the exhaust.

If GM were to do this on the 3.9, there would be four cams... two on each bank, (one intake, one exhaust)
That would mean a whole heckuva lot more moving parts, a more involved timing belt system (would have to travel further) and more stuff to break. While there would likely be more powerand very likely economy benefits, it would make a much more complicated system. It would be more expensive to make, and would hardly be worth completely redesigning the engines.

Instead GM uses their VVT technology tochange how the engine reads the cams... By doing this... GM can modify the timing equally, without having to complicate the assembly of the engine as much as a DOHC system would.

AwesomeSS 09-19-2007 12:09 PM

I'm kinda glad there's not alot of after market for our cars, if there were I would be totally broke - I'm sooo weak when it comes to modding. Already have a long list for my Mini Cooper LOL. Luckily I'm done moding my Monte - I want it to still qualify for Stock class at car shows

GrandPaDave 09-19-2007 02:21 PM

Thanks Fly.

rj 09-19-2007 08:39 PM

As a Monte owner we get little respect. Till we smoke some unsuspecting d00d.

You should have seen the geezer in the T/A convertible when I pulled up behind him at a stop light. He was looking in the rear view at himself. Playing with his hair. (what he still had)

I shifted into neutral and gunned the engine. He looked back at my LTZ. When the light changed he tore off. And that's all that happened. His T/A couldn't shake my Monte loose.

scc24540 09-19-2007 10:03 PM

exactly rj d00d hearing people run their mouths is sickening but smoking them is priceless

FlynhghR 09-19-2007 10:17 PM

Glad to help GPD! I've been doing some crazy research trying to find out exactly what makes this engine tick... Not much out there, but each doc I find has just a little bit more info than the last.

FlynhghR 09-19-2007 10:20 PM

Oh, and Amy... I know what you mean about having a "weakness" lol. I just bought my first really major mod (it's ordered anyways) a black out billet aluminum grille.

The bad thing is I have at least like 4 other mods planned.. just waiting for the cash to get em... lol!