Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   I Come From Alabama (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/i-come-alabama-51604/)

ZIPPY02 12-27-2014 10:33 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forum!!:thumbsup:

Appears fate dealt you a sweet deal, in that you were lucky to snag it before anyone else saw the low mileage Monte and the color is not all that common, so cool. These 6th gen. Monte's like you just bought ride so sweet, hold the corners very well and float down the road.

DRAGON64 12-28-2014 11:59 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys, it is much appreciated. A little more about me; I am a mechanical designer by trade, but my love is logistics and supply chain management. I'm 50 going on 18 again. I look out the window every couple hours and pinch myself, as this is the first used car that I have bought for myself that did not have a dent, scratch, chipped or faded paint, or was rusting out... I'm going to go play the lottery before the weekend is out.

Incidently, as I was getting into the Monte Carlo to come home, the dealership took ownership of an 81 Vette, with the exact same color scheme as my new car, and it had only 43,000 miles on it. Columbia TN, being the GM town that it is, apparently has some real gems lying around.

While the listing is still live, here is the skinny on my 2001 Mont Carlo SS per the selling dealership:

Used Chevrolet Monte Carlo For Sale Toney, AL - CarGurus

GTHSS 12-29-2014 11:09 AM

Welcome to the forum. Nice burgundy Monte!

DRAGON64 01-06-2015 09:30 AM

Okay Monte Carlo guru's... my car is starting to scare the crap out of me; Since arriving home, the radio sound went out, the temp gauge has flatlined, the coolant level and low tire pressure warning lights are always on, no matter what I do to adjust them... should I expect my intake manifold to explode too! The more I read about issues with the 2001 model, the more I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach... Have I screwed up?

GTHSS 01-07-2015 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by DRAGON64 (Post 642612)
Okay Monte Carlo guru's... my car is starting to scare the crap out of me; Since arriving home, the radio sound went out, the temp gauge has flatlined, the coolant level and low tire pressure warning lights are always on, no matter what I do to adjust them... should I expect my intake manifold to explode too! The more I read about issues with the 2001 model, the more I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach... Have I screwed up?

I have a 2001 SS and love it. You didn't screw up. Be patient and the guy's here can help you through all the issues. The radio sound could be a fuse. The temp gauge and low coolant warning could be real since you have them at the same time. Is your coolant full? If so, the warning can be reset. Check your manual, it explains how to reset the warnings. If your coolant is full, the low coolant sensor could be bad. It cost about $50. Mine started intermittantly sending a low coolant warning, since it is always full and I have no leaks I unpluged the cable to the sensor. Problem solved. The low tire psressure warning comes from a rotation sensor on the wheels. If one tire is rotating more than the others the computer assumes there is a tire loosing pressure. If your pressures are good and the warning comes back after properly cleard, then most likely it is a bad wheel sensor.

I hope this info helps, some of the other members may have better information to share. If things get too bad and you have to sell it, post it here. You have a nice car!

Good luck!