New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Howdy from Canuckistan

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 AM
Default Howdy from Canuckistan

Hi there. I'm Teej. I'm in the process of restoring the car that I got my driver's license in Ontario way back in 1981, it's a 77 Monte. It belonged to my Mom's BF and a year later, he sold it to a guy that was moving to BC. I moved to BC in 92 but I never thought I would see it again. I was wrong.
About 5 years ago, a friend of my daughter's was tree planting in Prince George and needed a way home to the kootenays so he bought this old Monte. When he showed up at our house, I thought I had seen a ghost. I paid for a record check and sure enough, it was the same car. I told him that if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I would buy it.
About 2 years ago, he gave me a call and I brought my baby home. So far, the engine and tranny have been rebuilt and now I'm starting on suspension and body work.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your Monte back home! That's a great story! Good luck with all the future upgrades and keep us posted. Would be great if you can share several pics of the ride as well.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:38 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum Teej!!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome and that's her in my profile pic.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Welcome to the MCF. I had a friend who owned this 2nd Gen Monte back in the 70's.
My Father was a Buick owner and I think this Monte and his Buicks were similar in size. I recall my friends car had the swivel bucket seats.
Took all day to wax it back then, a lot of surface space.
Not long ago I was at a car show and they had one in the line up, it was fun to see.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM

Yeah, up here we call them land yachts LOL 77 was the longest I believe. I do know that I have a fullsize Chev pickup and my Monte is about 3" longer then my truck LOL. There is nothing that compares to driving down the highway in a big car, they just float
My kids were commenting on the hood ornament. I told them it was a gun site LOL

Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum Teej, I was involved in my first accident (as a passenger) in a 77 monte, we got hit from behind by a school bus, and all it did was crumple the trunk lid and shifted the bumper a bit lol, my friend wasn't too happy about it though but on the positive we were all ok after being hit

Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the old girls were built nice and solid. They aren't tin cans like newer cars