New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi everyone, I Need Transmission advice/Help/Thank You!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Good info.
Btw, i told him to unplug a sensor so it would throw a cel lol. That way he could drive it without too many issues while he was getting the pcm unlocked both his monte and the donor impala are 3.8 cars.
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
A couple of things:
1 - It's NEVER a good idea to unplug a sensor while the car is running. They have power going to them, the PCM is getting readings. Unplugging the MAF and then starting the car well still throw a CEL.
2 - I would not bother swapping the ignition and key from the Imp. You will make things potentially worse. The theft lock is with the ignition, the BCM and PCM (I'm sure other items interact with it).
3 - If you want to try the Imp PCM, I would only do that if the Imp and the Monte had the same v6 (such as a 3400, 3800 or 3800 S/C). If the engine in the Monte is different from the one in the Imp, don't bother, the tunes for the engines will be WAY off.
4 - Also, if the engines in the cars are different, I wouldn't bother with the trans unless you have a reason to want that gearing. The 4T65 used between the 3400 and the different 3800's are different.
5 - If it is worth trying the PCM from the Imp, pop it in, try doing a "security relearn" if it doesn't start (I will post the directions at the bottom).
6 - I do offer some PCM services, but they are basic. Click this link for more info ----> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/
BTW - It takes a little research, but if I should be able to pull the trans settings from your Imp PCM (or if I have a compatible Imp PCM BIN file already) and drop those settings into the PCM for your Monte (this means you could have the Imp gear ratios, shift points and all other trans related settings packed into your Monte PCM). And I can do some other stuff too, but I don't mess with Air/Fuel ratios (refer to the link I mentioned for more info).

PCM Relearn Info:
Please read this completely before attempting to install the enclosed PCM.
These are the steps to performing a security relearn in the event the car does not start up immediately.

Notes: Security relearn procedure will not work with the valet key! Also, do NOT remove the key until the relearn is complete. When the steps state to switch the ignition to the off position, just switch to off, do not remove the key from the ignition.

Method 1:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Install new computer
3. Reconnect battery
4. Put emergency brake on to disable daytime running lights (this step is required!)
5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window
6. Try to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in the on position for 11 min on 97-03 cars and 15 min for 04 and newer cars. The security light should turn off after this amount of time.
7. Before proceeding, verify the security light is no longer on OR that the message center is no longer flashing the security message with the other messages it's cycling (such as battery).
8. Turn off ignition for 30 seconds
9. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat step 5 two more times.
10. If this doesn't work disconnect battery for 5 seconds and then try and start the car.

Method 2:
1. Disconnect battery for 10 sec.
2. Reconnect battery
3. Turn key to ON position
4. Do not try to start vehicle, just quickly click to RUN position to engage security light
5. Let vehicle sit with key ON for 35 min.
6. Attempt to crank vehicle. Once vehicle is running, the security light may still be on
7. If security light is still on, turn key to OFF position for 5 sec.
8. Turn key to ON position and security light should turn off
9. Start vehicle and enjoy new PCM

Method 3:
1. Try to start the vehicle.
2. Turn ignition to OFF for 10 seconds.
3. Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
4. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.
5. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
6. Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
7. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the second time.
8. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
9. Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
10. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the third time.
11. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
12. Start the vehicle.

Notes: If your car starts at any time and stays running, you are done. If your car starts and dies, try step 9. If it dies after 2 seconds after you have done these steps, you either have a bad FP resistor or the security setting in your PCM is wrong and it will need an update.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 PM
1 Year Member

today I got an fr9 tranny from an 01 grand prix with 135,000 miles im going to pull it out tomorrow so im excited for that it saves me a lot of work I kept the trans and pcm from the impala for back up because the 01 grand prix caught fire but trans looks fine fluid smells and looks ok and sensors are not ruined so I should be able to use it I also kept the 3800 out of the impala. thanks for all the help.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM
1 Year Member

my monte not have that electronic box on the shifter rod but the transmission out of the grand prix has it can I take it off and use the tranny? the impalas tranny does not have it either but its the f83 option

Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 PM

You dont have to pull it off, just dont plug it in. Its a park/neutral switch. Some had em some didnt

Old 12-27-2013, 09:47 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you so much!!!!!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 PM

No prob

Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 AM
1 Year Member

another ? where would my neutral safety switch be if its not on that rod?

Old 12-28-2013, 03:14 AM

Not sure but as long as you dont have any left over wires when ur done, ur gold.
Originally Posted by 02paceSS
another ? where would my neutral safety switch be if its not on that rod?

Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 AM
1 Year Member

that's what I figured ima give it a shot im pretty sure im good to go. thanks for all the help ill let you know if I run into any problems

Old 12-28-2013, 03:56 AM

Good luck man
Originally Posted by 02paceSS
that's what I figured ima give it a shot im pretty sure im good to go. thanks for all the help ill let you know if I run into any problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi everyone, I Need Transmission advice/Help/Thank You!