New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hey y'all

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Default Hey y'all

My Accord was totaled, so I set about looking for a car. I got tired of looking and my dad offered to help. What we ended up with is the Monte Carlo.

At first, I was a little excited to have an american 6 cylinder car, as I've always wanted to play around with raw muscle. However, the more I researched about the car and the engine, the less it looked like it would be even worth my time.

With that being said, aside from the large weight, heavy doors, slow acceleration, passenger window motor going slowly, vibration at 50-70mph, shuddering/vibration when slowing from 50-70mph, and the rear defroster becoming disconnected; I still have to drive this car and I like to have fun driving. So I'm here to figure out how to fix my ride and try to make it a little more comfortable to drive maybe even make it faster.

Last edited by 02LS; 01-04-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately there isn't that much for your 3400 LS, it was just the base model of that year. But if you show us some pictures and go into detail about a few issues we may be able to help!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM

ive got a couple pics snapped, however nothing of any real value, since they all look the same when stock. its black..

so my only plans right now are to fix the ride quality, fix the rear defroster, fix the burnt-out hvac lights, and put in a carpc with replacement components and a sub.

the problem that i see with my window is that it just rolls up extremely slowly, the owner-mechanic stated that he replaced the regulator.

the ride quality is one that just throws me off, the old owner said that he had replaced a wheel hub and changed the front brakes in an attempt to alleviate this issue.

im not sure why it shudders when braking, i can only assume warped rotors or dried up mounts.

the back windshield looks like i can just heat up the solder on the contacts and reattach it to the glass.

if im looking for suspension/body/engine/drivetrain parts, im looking for things for the w-body, correct?

also, does anyone make lightweight replacement hood, doors, trunk lid, fenders?

my budget doesnt exist yet, as id like to see if i grow to like the vehicle, i do want to fix the things wrong for resale value and to not have to worry about it breaking on the way to work. 160k miles.

if it does end up that i do like the car in the end, and it stops feeling like im driving a small boat, id be more than happy to do more to it. i take that back, haha, if it were rwd or awd then i would! fwd with a traction control button just seems useless to me.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM

15 Year Member

We all love our FWD cars :P

My Monte brings me the most joy when I drive it. I love the car more than any other.

The HVAC lights aren't the easiest to fix, as they are soldered in, you will have to take out the HVAC unit, open it up, and then heat the solder points taking the light out and replacing with a new while the solder is warm. I have left mine blown out for now because I don't want to deal with it yet.

The window could be the regulator, or the switch. If it rolls up really slow, I would assume it's the window motor. Should be an easy junkyard find of $20.

Rotors are known for warping when you drive them and brake really hard and then get them wet (for instance, driving in a heavy rain and slamming on the brakes) OEM replacements and doing it yourself is cheap enough.

If you have 160K on the car, the mounts and shocks could be very warn. That will make you feel every bump and not have a great ride condition. You could also install strut tower braces in the front and rear of the car to help reduce body roll.

Auto Part Stores sell rear defroster kits for about $10 and you can re-attach the clips no problem.

Yes you are looking for W-Body parts. If you want to check out zzperformance.com and then click on Grand Prix anything from 98-2003 will work on your car (Engine wise you are out of luck as they share the same engine as the Monte SS)

It's not worth the money to start getting light-weight materials and doors, etc. These cars are heavy and they are big, but that is what a lot of us like about the cars. These are solid machines.

The biggest job you can give yourself, if you really want to have fun in the car, is to start researching how to swap the 3400 that you have, for the supercharged 3800 that came in the Monte SS 04 and 05 (also in the Grand Prix GTP, Regal GS, etc.)

You will take your measly 160HP to 240HP (and the aftermarket to get well above 300HP) very quickly. But you have to be good with cars and wrenching also.

This website, and many w-body websites have TONS of information. We hope you grow to love the car, and everything you can do with it. Just look at a few members for inspiration, we all have taken care of our cars and love them to death!

(Also don't let the mileage worry you too much, my car is almost 11 years old and I have 173,6xx miles on it)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum man.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM

im not afraid of high-mileage at all, to me its just an indication of wear and tear.

any problems with the bottom end needing to be rebuilt after a certain mileage? ie rings, rods, bearings, etc.

i think im pretty hand with a wrench, from what ive looked at so far, it seems to be pretty straight-forward swapping motors.

id like to see how a large, heavy car competes in fun-driving versus my friends slk55 amg, not that id want to own one, hes had problem after problem and theyre all exspensive. i just dont get the traction control.. it came on in the rain once and around a corner going like 60-65. seems like youd have to be pushing the car pretty hard to get it cut on in the first place.

being a solid machine was the goal in looking for a beater. all i know is that if i start modding this car, itll be after i get another car, i used to mod an import and didnt have another car. now it just seems illogical to mod the DD with crazy things that might not make it work, ie i lost the bypass plug to my msd dis2 on my old car!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM

15 Year Member

Mine is the DD for now, and I don't mind modding it. Everything I do has helped improve the efficiency of the car (MPGs are now above 32) also happened to improve power :P

I'm not 100% on the bottom end of your engine, I know the 3800 bottom end can take a ton of abuse.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM

speaking of which, i need to take a look at the ignition system. its been cold here in atl for the past two mornings and its as if the monte carlo is just as sleepy as i am and doesnt want to get up. i keep telling it that i want to go back to bed too.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Hey y'all