New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hey all

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Default Hey all

I originally found this site looking for help to reset my tire pressure light. Didn't find it. I didfind help of sorts, it just didn't work. IWill be in a bigger hurry when I put the winter tires back on. For now, I'll live with it. Its been on nearly the entire time I've owned the car anyways. Only out of laziness

The issue with that light is because I have an after market system, and all I could find were directions leading me to the trunk where I'm told the original stereo should be harnessed. I've read here that it is the only way to put aftermarket stereo equip in. Its not. My factory equipment is in my basement. And I've had NO issue with my car after I put the aftermarket in.

I love my car but I've had A LOT of issues with her. Mostly the dealership b.s. which believe me, make a woman with guts cry and you ask for trouble. I no longer take my car there for ANYTHING. My biggest issue with my car was the paint. The clear coat was bubbling along the back bottom windshield and peeling. I called GM and was get this.......201 klms (oh I'm Canadian) out of warranty for that. The dealership did end up cutting me a beautiful deal to re-clear coat the car. There is huge suspicion as to wether this car was stolen and re-painted Maaco style[:@]

I do have one question for y'all. Why does the Monte Carlo seem like and old man's car? No, I'm serious. Whenever a guy pulls up and sees me in my car he does a double take. I'm clearly a woman, and its clearly my car and I'm definetly not old!!. And I only ever see old men or woman driving them!! What's up with that!!

*wanders off to turn green with envy at all the Monte Carlo beauties*

~Jenna

Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Hey all

Welcome Jenna from a fellow Canadian. Where are you in Ontario? I am in Windsor, Ontario. There are a number of Monte Carlos around the Windsor area. The age group of the drivers seems to depend on the year of the Monte. The 80s Montes seem to be driven by the typical drag-racing types, age30 and up. The 90s Montes seem to be really popular with younger drivers. The 2000 and up Montes are kind of a mix. But mostly over the age of 30. I think the reason is probably because of the price involved in buying one.

Another factor is the fact that the Monte is a larger car. Most younger drivers like smaller cars than the Monte, for various reasons.
What do you consider "old"? lol. I won't ask your age, because I've learned that it is impolite to do so.

As for your tire pressure monitor...

What year is your car? There are differences depending on the year. The 2005 and earlier Montes are not that difficult to reset the tire monitor. The 2006 and 2007 Montes are going to be more difficult with aftermarket rims. The 06 & 07 use sensors inside the factory rims. Each sensor sends a signal to the computer, telling it what the tire pressure is in each tire. Therefore, the car is able to tell you which tire is low. Without the sensor inside the rim, the car sees that tire as having no air in it.

The 2005 and earlier don't use sensors inside the rims. Here is the reset instructions from my 2004 owners manual:

[align=left]To reset (calibrate) the system: The tire pressure[/align][align=left]monitor system can be reset two ways. With the ignition[/align][align=left]position at ON, pull theoutside lightscontrol to the[/align][align=left]ON and OFF settings three times.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]It can also be reset through the radio using the[/align][align=left]following steps:[/align][align=left]1. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON and turn the[/align][align=left]radio off.[/align][align=left]2. Press and hold the TUNE DISP button on the[/align][align=left]radio for at least five seconds until SETTINGS[/align][align=left]is displayed.[/align][align=left]3. Press the SEEK SCAN up or down arrow to scroll[/align][align=left]through the main menu.[/align][align=left]4. Scroll until TIRE MON appears on the display.[/align][align=left]5. Press the 1 PREV or 2 NEXT button to enter the[/align][align=left]submenu. RESET will be displayed.[/align][align=left]6. Press the TUNE DISP button to reset. A chime will[/align][align=left]be heard to verify the new setting and DONE will[/align][align=left]be displayed for one second.[/align][align=left]7. Once the monitor has been reset, scroll until EXIT[/align][align=left]appears on the display.[/align][align=left]8. Press the TUNE DISP button to exit programming.[/align][align=left]A chime will be heard to verify exit.[/align][align=left]The system completes the calibration process during[/align][align=left]driving.[/align][align=left]The system normally takes 15 to 20 minutes of driving[/align][align=left]in each of three speed ranges to “learn” tire pressures.[/align][align=left]The speed ranges are 15 to 4 mph (25 to 65 km/h),[/align][align=left]40 to 65 mph (65 to 105 km/h) and above 65 mph[/align][align=left](105 km/h). When learning is complete, the system[/align][align=left]will alert you after two to eight minutes if a tire is[/align][align=left]12 psi (83 kPa) different from the other three tires.[/align][align=left]Detection thresholds may be higher and detection times[/align][align=left]may be longer on rough roads, curves and at high[/align][align=left]speeds. The system is not capable of detection[/align]at speeds greater than 70 mph (110 km/h).

When using the light switch method, I think you're only supposed to pull it out to the half way point. Where only your parking lights are on, and the headlights are not. Pulling it out all the way doesn't work. Either that, or the other way around. Hope this helps.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Hi Taz, thanks. I'll tell ya how old I am I'm 33. I bought the car when I was 31. I've dreamed of a Monte since I was in my teens. The 80's when it was cool to drag the strip downtown London. I was in windsor mid-September and used to live there. I love Windsor.

I bought my car for the exact reasons younger people don't buy them. SHE'S HUGE!! I grew up driving huge cars. The first car I drove was a Chrysler Newport. The next was a buick La Sabre. So if that doesn't tell y'all where my affection for big cars come from, nothing will.

When I was shopping for my car my husband tried desperately to get me to buy the Grand Prix GTP. While I did like the power it had, I hated everything else about it. I hated the space inside. We argued about it and ultimately it came down to what I wanted. When I got the car re-clear coated the lender they gave me was the GP, he soon stopped bitching about Manny (she's Manny the Maneater) and came to see what I meant about no interior space. I imagine it wouln't be an issue if I wasn't stuffing two kids one in carseat, and half a million hockey bags. I know, "what about a mini-van?" NO. Period,uh-huh, no way jose!! I know this Monte can handle what I need it to, I'm getting herI was looking at a buick, when he called and said "you obviously didn't see the red beast get dressed I'm comming to get you. It was Manny and it was love at first site.

The tire light trick I did do, pulling the lamp switch out all the way. I will try doing it not pulling it out all the way and see how that works. I have low profiles on too, and my uncle was impressed that the sensors work on it. When I do set it, it does learn those tires. I check them manually anyways. But I had to replace a front wheel bearing and that sensored worked with those tires on too, and when it was replaced that light turned itself off. Impressed I was!! So, was my (mechanic) uncle.

I know that my oil light does not work. Not when its supposed to tell me to change it.I've watched it and it comes on after I change my oil and never came on at all and I finally changed it anyways, after nealy a year. Even though the idiots at the dealership said I didn't have to. I told them I'd put 10,000 klms on and its been nearly a year CHANGE THE OIL. Why oh why do they see woman and "think dough brain"? Or atleast that dealership did. My first clue should have been when the sales man after my telling him " I want a car no smaller then a V6" brings me the Cavalier. I then had to show him the specs. Because he didn't want to believe it was only a 4. Idiot. LOL.

I've seen a few younger guys driving the 2007 Monte. They're pretty Impressive looking.

Now, Taz how old are you?

~Jenna

Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

The dealerships around here keep telling me not to change the oil until the car tells me to. I know from a lot of members here that the change oil light never seems to come on for them either. So I politely told the dealership to just change the dam oil.

I used to have a 1991 Cavalier Z24 years ago. It had the 3.1 litre V6 engine in it. It was tons of fun to drive! But Chevy stopped putting the V6's into the Cavalier in 1995. I can assure you that salespeople don't just try to put stuff over on women. I've had plenty of GM dealership salesmen try to put one over on me as well.

I'll be the first (in this thread) to ask you for a pic or two of your Monte. I'm 37 by the way.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Okay, I posted an album. Its all wonky. I get little red x's but when you click on them they open the pick. I also posted pics of a Monte I'm hoping to bid on. She's being restored to all her original glory and more!! Cross your fingers for me all!!

~Jenna

Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I think I may have answered your question in my reply to your PM. It also explains the three million apostrophies in your signature. LOL.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM

BAH!!! We like apostrophies!!!

~Jenna

Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 PM

i thought i might throw in another post from someone else her. im 19 and i drive an 06, i bout it from a 23 yearold, i go to school with a few people who drive montes [dont take care of them] who are from 19- 23. around my area in illinois i do see alot of mid aged women driveing the 00-05s and a decent amount of kids in the 90s. but the select few 06 and 07's ive seen have actually been females younger like 25 and men around 50. but about the paint [i work in a body shop] when the paint was bubleing did it ever peal off and end up being clear still? and if you look near the lower areas and body lines are there any runs? those will be very clear signs that it has been repainted. also get it in the sun. look at it panel by panel with the sun gleaming on it. if you notice any slight shade differences its been repainted[dont worry about the bumpers paint always looks different on plastics]
enjoy the monte

Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM

Oh, she's been re-painted alright. When I noticed the bubbling, it was bad. I went over her with a fine tooth comb and found pock marks from BONDO!! Yes, bondo. They slapped it on didn't bother to sand it, just painted it over. To top it all off, its not chevy red either. Its a long drama filled story. In the end the dealership, re-clear coated it for free, gave me a rental for the week and a half it took. No, it shouldn't have taken that long but the manager on the paint side didn't agree with the manager on the show room side about fixing this for me and swallowing the cost. They only agreed to fix the clear coat. I was to have my car back within 3 days. On the 3rd day I went in to get it at the end of the day, and she wasn't ready. The department customer care area was full at the time so the manager asked me to go home and wait for him to call. I knew by the look on his face to just shut up and do it.

He called me about half hour later from his own house and told me why she wasn't ready.This is when he told me that he didn't think it was right what they were doing to me. He also knew about the other issues I had when I bought the car. Intermediate drive shaft, sway bar link, brakes ect.... because there was only so much he could do, to help he'd decided to take the bumpers off and correctly paint them. Which was fantastic because there was a MAJOR run on the back one, and I'd bottomed out badly damaging the front one. He'd also removed the moulding around the windows and done the clear coating properly. Despite the manager telling him not to do that. So, he explained what was taking so long, and not to worry the rental was not costing me a thing and I would not have a surprise bill. But I would be very happy and he hoped this helped. I'd already cried infront of him, out of frustration. That was when they were dicussing what to do and the manager had said he wouldn't be doing anything. The paint manager fixed that for me to. So that was nice.

I had major issues with this car when I first got it. I had to fight tooth and nail for her. I had actually gotten quiet nasty in the showroom causing a scene about the intermediate drive shaft, brakes,and sway bar link (which is a safety standard issue) and said to the manager " you know, you people are dry ****ing me without so much as a courtesy spit!!" I've never seen a man's jaw drop so fast or low in my life. I wanted his attention. He said there was no reason to talk like that and I said " well, I've got your attention now don't I?" this was also after 3 weeks of fighting with them. I was being reasonable for way to long. If you ask me.

I'm glad to hear younger people are learning to appreciate the big cars. There really is nothing to compare the Monte too. I won't get rid of mine. EVER.

~Jenna

Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 PM

somebody had definately butched it up. im sorry for that. we do see alot of cars that get butched. like today a c63amg mercedes came in for a new front cover. i took it off to discover massive runs in every hole possibel and lots of sanding scratches.
i was trying to sell my car. trying is an overstatement tho. i jsut had it on here and on autotrader. i am jsut about going to give up. i found a turbo kit that i could put in. i also wanna doa big brake kit, paint some MORE stuff including intererior and the mirrors. i was thinkin about some halo headlights off of ebay. it is now something to do. not so much as a car anymore.
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/minisz618/

Quick Reply: Hey all