New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Help please!!! My Monte Carlo won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Question Help please!!! My Monte Carlo won't start.

Hello everyone, my name is Luke. I'm 23 and live in Michigan. I need advice or help with fixing an issue with my Monte. Please anyone help I would appreciate it. O.k here's the run down. I own a 2001 Monte Carlo ss. It has 180k. So the other day I was driving it and it just shut down on me. Never had this issue before. I can't get it to start back up. I replaced the battery and alternator. Got a scanner to hook up and it won't even let me read any of the codes on the scanner. This is what happens. The car has power when I turn the key to acc. Radio lights etc. But it will not start. When I go to start it nothing happens. No crank. It doesn't even try to start at all. Does anyone know what my issue is. Please help. Thank yal very much.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:55 AM

First, Have you looked over all your FUSES? Don't always rely on a Fuse tester because I have seen them show a Fuse was good when it wasn't. When you turn on the car can you hear the Fuel Pump prime your system? If so then keep reading and try and see if there is anything in my post that can help you with this issue. If you don't hear your fuel pump prime, Need to work on finding out that issue before anything I offer here as help. Also it could be that you may want to release the pressure from your fuel rail. Please don't smoke while working around fuel.

There are some things you can do to try and figure out what is going on! One I am going to say that I don't think it is related to Neutral Safety because you said that it was driving just fine and then stopped.

However you could try and see if the car will start in anything other then P. So first try N and see if the car starts. Again don't think it is the issue but a place to try. Put it back in park and turn car off.

Open hood and take out the Starter Relay. Look at the relay and find the Pins 87 and 30. You need to test that one of them PINS has 12v.

Please understand that if you are not sure about working with cars and Electronics please don't do anything I say from here on. I am not saying this is a Smart way of starting your car on a daily basis but is a way to test to see if you can start the car.

If you find 12v there you can take a Jumper wire or even a Paper clip and make a connection to them 2 point and see if the car turns over. If the Starter spins you can then put the key in the car and see if the car will start doing this. However you need to understand this can be hard on your starter and motor if you don't remove it after the car starts. Don't want to GRIND

Again if the car don't start but was able to turn over this way. You need to look over your Wires and hardware in your car. This could be as easy as looking over the grounds and power wires on the car. Doing a Visual check of the wires that are in the motor area to see if any of them have rubbed and or shorted up to the car, motor or transmission.

It could be related to PCM/ECM however before you go tossing money at the car there is a bunch of testing you should do.

If you don't have a DVOM/DMM I would say that now is a good time to buy one. You can get one at Home depot or Wal-Mart is ok. You don't need some 150 to 1000 DMM to do some time to time testing.

Also you may want to look over some youtube Videos and learn what Back Probing is and why it is important while trouble Shooting your cars issues. In Short, Front probing can show that the Volts are there however once a load is on the line it causes a short. So Back Probe is best bet for finding your problems.

Good Luck Luke, Hope something here was helpful

James