New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello Monte World!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Unhappy Hello Monte World!

My name is Peter and I am new here, hoping to find some solid advice from experienced Monte Carlo owners. I just recently inherited a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34 from my grandfather. The car is in exceptional shape however I am having an issue. Yesterday, my wife used the car to run some errands and today I went to start the car and absolutely nothing happens. The battery is new, plugs and wires are new. I am stumped. I do remember a security light coming on and off, but would that cause a system shutdown?? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:58 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum!!
I do not know the answer to your question but I am sure someone will post soon who can get you looking in the right direction!!

Old 08-28-2015, 04:55 PM

Has to do with the battery, if it's a security issue the car will still light up inside, check the voltage on the battery and the connections and wires leading away from battery. Only a bad battery can cause a car to have absolutely no power at all.

Oh and welcome to the forum Pete

Old 08-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

In my experience, when there's no lights and no sounds when you twist the key, the biggest suspects are the battery and battery cables. Something may have been left on overnight that could drain even a new battery; or if it's not the battery, a loose cable would easily be enough to interrupt the whole electrical power circuit.

But since you mentioned the security light flashing, it could be that the ignition key is now dirty or wet, or maybe even damaged. Did you try starting it with the other ignition key? According to the owner's manual, the security feature shuts down the engine's starter and fuel systems if it detects a fault with the key (but presumably that doesn't mean the entire car is shut down electrically).

Peter, does your Z34 still have its owner's manual? Might be some more clues in there.

Search this Thread