New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

hello (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Default hello (long read)

Hello everyone,

I am a car guy through and through. However, i'm getting ready to buy my first monte, most likely an 06-07 ss in silverstone or white. The path that has led me to buy a monte carlo is a little crazy so I will try to condense it a little.

I had a great job and was going to school full time, pursuing a career in law enforcement. It took me six or so years out of highschool to figure out that i wanted to be a police officer. So i jumped in head first, going to school full time and working 50 hours a week. I worked my **** off and maintained a 4.0 gpa, acceled at my job, and got into the best physical shape of my life at age 27. Things were really looking up.

A little over a year ago and a few months shy of starting the police academy, I broke two vertebrae in my neck while jumping into a friends pool (c-6, c-7). Intially, I was paralyized from mid chest down with numbness in both arms and limited use of my hands. Two major surguries and 3 months in the hospital later I returned home and was left trying to pick up the pieces of what was left of my life.

It took a few months toshake off some of the depression I was suffering from and again, i started to work my **** off. Three days of therapy a week, weight lifting, and getting out and seeing some old friends has helped. I have since regained much sensation throughout my body, use of my lower back and abdominal muscles, and the numbness in my arms is non-existent aside from my left hand. My hands continue to get stronger and have more dexterity.

I just finished drivers rehab and will take my state driving exam the 25th of this month. I started considering different vehicles afew months ago and was leaning heavily towards a scion xb with ramp for my wheelchair. The mods neccesary to drive the scion were around $23k and after much thought, I couldn't see myself driving a scion and plus $23k on top of the $17K for the vehicle was pretty steep. I figured I would need a ramp vehicle due to my hand dexterity but I started practicing taking my chair apart at home on the edge of my bed. Last week I went and looked at an 07 monte to see if I could get my chair into it and it was a breeze. I also fell in love with the comfort and seat position which should make make driving with the hand controls relatively easy. I now have three dealerships trying to track me down an ss and I can't wait to be on the road again. Next step will be getting some hand controls in the camaro as wellbut I'll be sure to post up some pics of my monte when i get it all set up.

sorry for the long read but I'm looking forward to getting to know the monte carlo crowd and the members here on the forum.

by the way, here is a pic of me standing for the first time after my accident- taken about 9 months ago.

Noah B.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Default RE: hello (long read)

[align=center]Hi Custom 95, and Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I was sadden to read about your accident, but happy[/align][align=center]to read that you are overcoming the obstacles [/align][align=center]that have been placed before you on your[/align][align=center]journey of life.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think the Monte Carlo is a excellent choice of vehicles,[/align][align=center]but I love the Monte Carlo and I am sure[/align][align=center]that it will except the controls without problems.[/align][align=center]The Monte is a powerful Touring Coupe[/align][align=center]that offers many great features for the $.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I know that it can not be easy, but it seems[/align][align=center]like nothing good in life is easy. 4-Sure.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Use the MCF Search Engine to explore the [/align][align=center]questions that you have about the Monte Carlo, or[/align][align=center]post your questions for the members to respond.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I wish you the best in life.[/align][align=center]May your mind and body stay strong to deal[/align][align=center]with life's challenges.[/align][align=center]KidSpace[/align]

Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center]Hi Custom95,[/align][align=center]We have several great members on the MCF that I am[/align][align=center]sure will assist you with information needed on the[/align][align=center]Awesome Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]Just post your questions. Our MCF is in process of[/align][align=center]upgrading to a new vB server and we are experiencing [/align][align=center]some posting problems. I am sure they will be resolved[/align][align=center]in the near future.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I am in constant search of finding information on how[/align][align=center]to improve my mind, body and spirit.[/align][align=center]I often try to make positives posts on the MCF[/align][align=center]that the members have to endure. Hopefull they[/align][align=center]are helpful to some.[/align][align=center]Yesterday, I posted the below that I thought you[/align][align=center]may extract something from ? Its a long read also.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_100645/tm.htm[/align]

Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 AM

That link was a very good read. It has been difficult not being able to the things I used to. Snowboarding, wading streams fishing, and wrenching on my car are just a few. However, I have been blessed with an amazing family and friends who are helping me get through this.

It's funny because I hear people complaining about trivial things all the time and I have a hard time relating to them. Most of the time I feel like telling them to quit their bitching because things could be much worse but I don't. I will usually say something along the lines of "be thankful for the good stuff you have going on in your life."

Anyhow, thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Dear Custom 95 ,

I salute you and thank God and modern technology in medicine that you are still here on this earth .

I am a ex Army vet i served in the first war in Iraq "dessert storm " I too have had a spinal injurie to my L-4 though L-6 , after many surgerys I can walk again , but only with a cane .

I also find that the 2002 monte ss i have and drive is really comfortable , and the seats are very well engineered to keep you in the seat and in comfort at any speed !
Plus you can't beat the style , power , and options for the money !!

I hope too see you in your Monte , Flying Past me on the Super Slab , Some day !

Good Luck and God Bless You Bro ! ,

ShoveL

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Shovel,

Thank you for serving our country and for the welcome.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome custom95!

Thank God for modern medicine. Being able to operate a vehicle without having to install a ramp really opens up your choices. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with your choice of van, minivan, or SUV.

I used to work with a girl in the mid 90's that was able to fold up and stuff her wheelchair into the backseat of her early 90's Lebaron (pretty sure that's what it was). She got it down to a science practically, and was able to get in and out of her car very quickly. I was amazed that the chair fit between the driver seat and the backseat, but it did.

One thing she did was had the latch for the seatback fixed in such a way that she could fold the seatback forward without having to find and lift the latch everytime she exitted the car.

Good Luck on your new Monte. We'd love to see some pics when you get a chance. Don't worry about the long read. We have lots of long winded people here. Myself included sometimes. So far the record is held by KidSpace (aka "Space"). By the way, it helps to keep in mind that sometimes Space's room-mates post as well. He's not crazy and talking to himself. Okay, maybe a little crazy. LOL.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks Taz,

One of dealers im working with bid on on 07 black ss the other day but didnt get it. then i called on a silver 07 ss today w/ 15k on the odometer for $18,500 but they sold it yesterday. i called on two others as well, an 06 black w/ silver gfx w/ 12k for around $19k and a solid black ss with 24k miles for $18,500. im going to try to get down state to look at them this week so we'll see what happens. in the mean time, i've got three local dealers searching also. i'm getting very anxious but am trying to be patient and wait for the right one!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 PM

well boys and girls, i go to pick up my monte on monday. my local dealer found me an 06 black ss w/ ebony leather, power moonroof, and all the goodies. 34k miles- a little higher than i wanted but it's immaculate, plus it was a steal. the salesman took me for a ride and it was a good time. hopefully by the end of the it will be fitted with my hand controls and i'll have my wheels on order (black 20s w/polished lip). i will also be tinting the windows, getting black led tail lights and a k&n drop in filter. might do some debadging too. nothing to drastic, i've already dumped way to much cash on the camaro and my monte will be a daily driver. now i can get back to school and on with my life.

anyhow, i'll get some pics up when it's all set up.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the 06 SS!

Sounds like a nice ride you picked up. You should really enjoy the power and comforts of your new-to-you car. The V8 engine put in the 06 & 07 Monte SS were a nice boost in power, and filled the long awaited requests for a return to V8 engines.

Hope it serves you well for many, trouble free years.

Quick Reply: hello (long read)