New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello everybody!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Default Hello everybody!

Hello everybody, my name is Richard.

I was planning on buying a 1986 Monte Carlo SS for $2k, but its in pretty bad condition, the interior is really falling apart and it has some small bosy rust (thats the only thing I see just be looking at the car). I havent been able to look in the trunk yet, though it might just be ok. I sold my car a couple days ago just to buy that car, I sold my car for $1800. and the guy is making payments on it, so I got $1200. right now. He wont go any lower, my sister got might have got him down to $1500., but it still seems a bit too much. It has some good things, like an Edelbrok carb and filter, and headers, but it still seems too much. The plugs, and most of the interior light needs to be changed before being allowed on the road legally. And a tree fell on the rear of it, so the spoiler needs to be replaced and maybe the rear bumper cover too.

I also seen a 1980 El Camino, I can talk to guy down to $900., but the problem is it needs a new core support, a new fender and maybe a new hood. I cant really decide what to get.

I know I'm kinda going off topic right now, but I joined here just to get some good edvice. I will use either car for a daily driver. I'm not sure what the El Camino has, but the Monte Carlo has a V8.

I really would love to know, because I'm not rish, but I love the muscle cars. I know during the 1985's+ was the emissions era, and some say that the Monte carlo is worth it, but alot of others say its not.

Please, if somebody could help me figure it out, it would be great. Also if I happen to get the Monte Carlo, if anybody could donate me some small parts like lights, or screws that would be great.

Thanks,
Richard.

Edit: Heres a small video of it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2i1b...e=channel_page .

Last edited by Snowboi; 03-26-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Snowboi
Hello everybody, my name is Richard.

I was planning on buying a 1986 Monte Carlo SS for $2k, but its in pretty bad condition,

Also if I happen to get the Monte Carlo, if anybody could donate me some small parts like lights, or screws that would be great.

Thanks,
Richard.
Hi Richard, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum

The members on this forum love the Monte Carlo, but any auto that is abused can be problems. I would do your homework, and if you
decide to buy ?, I would really have a good mechanic check it out.
Below are some links with things to check when buying used.
Let us know what you do... Good Luck from KidSpace & the BeachBums.

<LI about="r11">What to look for when buying a used car, how to check a used... Tips with photos how to inspect a used car, how to check an automatic transmission, engine, car body for an accident, history report by the VIN, and more.
www.samarins.com/check/ - 16k - Similar pages http://www.samarins.com/check/
<LI about="r12">Used car information - How to buy, check, maintain, sell a u... Illustrated guide what to look for when buying a used car, how to check car history, maintenance tips, how to sell a used car, car reviews, auto glossary ...
www.samarins.com/ - 16k - Similar pages
http://www.samarins.com/
<LI about="r13">Used Car Buying Tips, Check the used car history, Avoiding S... How to buy a used car and avoid scams, all about used car classifieds, negotiating with a tough seller, how to run a Autocheck title check for previous ...
www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm - 101k - Similar pages
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm
<LI about="r14">How to Check out a Used Car Before Buying It - wikiHow How to Check out a Used Car Before Buying It. If you are thinking about purchasing a used car, you know how confusing it can be. There are so many things to ...
www.wikihow.com/Check-out-a-Used-Car-Before-Buyi... - 46k - Similar pages

Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. I know its been used. Its an automatic, and its kinda hard to to move the shift **** to anything, I think he claimed the tranny has been rebuilt. I know it has rust, most of the old muscle cars do, well that dont get taken care of that is. I'm going to go over there today, or call him, and ty to get it for $1400. or $1200., if I cant get him to go down lower, then I just might buy me the El Camino. But it will need to be in the shop, to get a new core support/radiator support welded on. Both would look good in my drive way, and under my care port. The Monte Carlo looks more sporty than the El Camino, butthe El Camino only has 2 seats, and I hang out with my friends alot, and go to parties, so it doesnt fit into that section.

I wish I could just flip a $100. or a .25 cent.

If somebody with alot of experience please reply, how hard is it to replace the interior lights (gage cluster, gear selection in the center colum, dome light, ect)? Also how hard is it to align the doors. I never had such a major problem. I owned an import, never had a problem like that. I'm very into cars, not so much into honda's, personally I hate honda's, but thats not the point.

If I do buy the Monte Carlo, will this forum really help me out, I went to a forum for my 95 Nissan Maxima, and some of them were just mean.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Talking I hang out with my friends alot, and go to parties : )

Hey `Richard,
The MCF has some SuperMember's that will share their knowledge.
In our Monte Carlo family, we give respect, when we get
respect.. We don't tolerate members that are mean or hurt
with their posts.
I suggest you get the best mechanic you know to check `out
whatever U decide 2 purchase.
I would also do Googles Search on parts sites for the items
that you may need for the vehicle that U decide 2 purchase.
Also use our Forum Search for subjects of interest.
Also a Auto Manuel with details of Subject Car is a good investment ?
Many libraries in Florida have Auto Manuals U can check `out.
Old cars can be a Money `Pit, but can be a lot of fun to work on.
Wish U good luck in your search 2 find the right ride 4 U.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site! If you were to buy the Monte Carlo there are some good sites out there for parts for 4th gens. mikesmontes.com and dixiemontecarlodepot.com. If I am not mistaken I think the El Camino was built off the same platform and the Monte, so parts might be interchangeble. Check out those web sites for more info.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

to buy an 86 monte SS and just have it be a daily driver that you don't want to put money into seems to be a waste.

It sounds like it would be an excellent hobby car, as the 86 SS is one of the nicest 4th gens. Hell, it's got to be my favorite style of the car.

If you want the car, but don't want to do the work to get it up and running and really nice, I say it's not worth it. But if you buy it, knowing you will have the money to put into it, then it is definitely worth it.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 AM

I a car guy, and love to work on cars. I stay up after 12:00 just to get the job done. I usually fix what I need to. I want to put some money into both, which ever I buy. The El Camino can be very helpful, because I need a truck alot of times, I used to take my Maxima around with a tow hitch, towing a small trailer. But something great with the Monte Carlo is, I can put a trailer hitch on it, have a good sized cack seat, so some of my friends can seat in the car, rather than stay outside in the rain (if I buy the El Camino, and if it rains, I dont usually drive in the rain).

I dont want to spend top dollar for parts that will not be helpfull in the performance or that will fall off. I like to add some custom to every car, or put some of my interest in it somehow. In the 4th gen. Monte Carlo's, is it hard to get a rust trunk (nside)? From what I hear, trunks on those cars are pretty solid. From what I remember, its been sitting for awhile, like a year or a few months. It starts, but it may need the battery recharged, and it will need a major tune up.

Edit: Sorry forgot mention, the El Camino doenst have bad rust on it, nothing I cant try to get out, with the Monte Carlo, there is some rust on the buttom doors, and on the right top of the passenger roof. I know it will need new window sweeps before it legally gets on the road, rain just gets in the door and I think everybody knows what happens after wards....... Shame, the owner is not good with storing cars. He put black electrical tape over the rust. But he does have a bads* Grand Natonal.

Last edited by Snowboi; 03-26-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's just the fact that you said you just wanted a car for a daily driver that had me concerned.

If it's a toss-up and if you are going to fix them up, you are on a monte forum, we are all going to vote that direction.

There are plenty of sites devoted to 4th gen monte cars/parts. Give them a look, see what you'll need and how much money/time you will need for that car.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Thats the problem, I've been looking, and couldnt find any good deals. I went nearly everywhere I could think of, ebay, ect..

Old 03-26-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snowboi
Thats the problem, I've been looking, and couldnt find any good deals. I went nearly everywhere I could think of, ebay, ect..

Hi `Richard, Have U check'ed out Craigslist in your area.
They have some Super Auto Deals on the below link. I think this is the one in
your area ? (They also have a parts link) Check `it out `if U haven't
Good Luck

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cta/

Quick Reply: Hello everybody!