New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default First Car

I picked up my first car on Monday, a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. I figured I should probably join this forum as I have a decent amount of work to do on it. The car is solid mechanically, but I have a few things to fix/replace. I need some new tires, the radio was disconnected, and Traction Control and Cruise Control don't work (hopefully just the fuse). Also I'm hoping someone has some info that they can share with me, as the car has "Limited Edition" on the speedometer, and is black with the silver ground effects, but isn't a pace car or Intimidator model. I haven't been able to find anything about it online, maybe left over Intimidator models? Anyway, hopefully I can contribute something on here and not just ask for help all the time.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 AM

Welcome to the Forum and hope you find happiness in your MC. Radio if it is there and not working it maybe that the person or person before you took out the OEM harness and can't connect it back. in that case it would be easier to get aftermarket to put in. Or pull a harness from a wrecked car and wire it back up.

On the Cluster it could be that the owner before you or anyone of the ones before you pulled the Cluster from a Wrecked car. Black and Sliver was color for 2001 Limited. Would also have Black silver 2 tone leather if it was an 01 limited. Also if you look in the trunk does it have a Limited Edition Plaque on the trunk lid? and the Spoiler.

Love to see some pictures of the inside dash area. The car and maybe the RPO sticker could shed some light on the car

James

Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome!

Regarding your limited edition question, it sounds like your's has the High Sport Appearance Package which included full perimeter ground effects, Nascar style stand up spoiler, diamond cut cast aluminum wheels, tuned suspension, etc. These High Sports DID come from the factory with the limited edition cluster. Prior to my 06, I had a solid yellow 03 SS High Sport and mine had the limited edition cluster. High Sports came in the following color combos in 2003 - solid black, solid yellow, solid white, solid silver, black w/silver, yellow w/silver, red w/silver, and white w/silver.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 03-17-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

to the forum!

Yep, as stated above, the limited edition is because your car was optioned with the High Sports Package.

Your trac control issue is most likely a wheel hub and sensor going. If you search for wheel hub assemblies, you will see a ton of information.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to MCF!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

welcome to MCF! and Congrats on the new purchase.
Isn't it great you already know a little bit about the new car. Now make sure you keep it in good running order, check your fluids every week. Make sure your Oil is clean and it will last along time.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Imp42017
snip
It looks like an alternate radio was hooked up in the trunk, as they left over all of the wires. I'm gonna have my neighbor take a look at it because he's done it before in a Monte (in return I'm gonna replace the window motor on his truck).

Car is definitely a 2003, VIN says so. As 06mistreSS said it's the High Sport package, not sure why I had so much trouble finding info about it.

I'll grab some pics soon, working on a few more things.

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
snip
Thanks for the info, makes a lot more sense now.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
snip
I have a feeling it was a side effect of whatever was done with the radio earlier. Gonna be taking a look at the wiring soon, hopefully I'll be able to get everything working soon.

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
snip
I checked all the fluid levels today, everything looks solid, and I can't find any leaks. Did an oil change today, just a cheap(ish) filter for now, have to buy tires and I'm a little short on cash.

Funny story, when I bought the car I noticed the tires were a little small. Figured whatever, I have to buy new ones anyway as these are pretty worn. Noticed this morning that none of them are the same brand, and 2 are 205 while the other are 215. Like what was that guy doing with it?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Sometimes you can check Craigslist and someone will have Tires and wheels that are the same size and will get you running until you can get some new ones.
Search for Auto parts and just put Monte in, you get all kinds of stuff that shows up.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by EvanLauer
Funny story, when I bought the car I noticed the tires were a little small. Figured whatever, I have to buy new ones anyway as these are pretty worn. Noticed this morning that none of them are the same brand, and 2 are 205 while the other are 215. Like what was that guy doing with it?
Ooooh, I hate when people do that.

Evan.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello and Welcome to the forum...

Do your wheels look like aftermarket ones, your Limited Edition would have some extra nice 5 spoke factory wheels.