New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Ez now...this is my 1st time🤤

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Cool Ez now...this is my 1st time🤤

If you're reading this, hello 🤙🏽
Yes, this is indeed the 1st time I've posted in a thread, let alone started one, in all the seemingly countless amount of forums I've read through over the years. I consider these to be an invaluable tool, but also so frustrating when it comes down to having to find that "needle in the haystack" person that is dealing with exactly what I am at the time.

Anyhoo, I am going to throw this post against the wall & just see what happens-
See yesterday after 47yrs on this earth, I bought my 1st Monte Carlo-a 1988 LS Model. I've always dug Monte's, but never had the correct opportunity to own one..until yesterday. See I noticed this car in a fellas yard, obviously not being driven, so after a couple months of saying "One of these days, I'll ask about it" I stopped & asked. Turns out dude was the original owner & his wife only drove the car basically to the store & back..after 29yrs the car only has 53k miles. Body is in great shape, no dents, no wrecks, no BS "mods", interior is incredibly nice & incredibly blue as the car has a light blue exterior.

My thing is I don't know what to do here.
I don't have bunch of $$ to invest, but gotta get the steel wheels/hubcaps off & a decent looking set of wheels on it because I am going to take this baby to work & paint it..I work in custom paint/collision center👍🏽 I'm not sure what color I'm going with yet, but the blue interior it limits my options.

Now back to my desperate need of new shoes for this cream-puff, if anyone has a treasure box website, or honey hole salvage spot & can point me in that direction..I'd be much appreciated! I've been reading that certain BMW wheels will work, does anyone know the details of this tidbit? I see lots of brand new wheel/tire combos on Craigslist & such that came off brand spanking new cars, that look great & would look even better on my new girl.

Ok, I'll leave it there & see what responses come back to me, or "stick".

Thank you my new Monte Carlo family!🤘🏽🤙🏽

Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the MCF family,
if it has been sitting a lot or long time there are things to check and pay attention to.
There are very smart and informative people on the MCF
be patient this is old school not FB

Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the Monte!!
I am sure some of the 5th gen owners on here will have some ideas about your wheels. I have a 4th gen and 6th gen so I am not much help with wheel ideas.
Now paint!! I am a lover of blue and would probably opt for a dark metallic blue with the blue interior!!
Again, welcome!!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:34 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

to the wheel question. I would say stay with the spoke wheels old school to new have always kept the look

Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Shawn is correct about things that will need to be checked/changed with it sitting so long:
Oil & filter change #1
Wipers #2
Check tires for wear and dry rot/cracks.
Check brakes
Check all lights (critters just love chewing thru wires in sitting vehicles)
If it has been sitting more than 6 months, siphon off as much gas as you can and put new gas in it and put STP gas treatment in it to get rid of any water/moisture in the system.
WD-40 every single hinge you have. Wipe excess with rag.
Change air filter.
Have battery checked at local parts store.
Once you get your new wheels/tires, I would probably take it for a complete lube job.
I would probably also do an alignment so your new tires(I am guessing new rims will get new tires ) will last a long time.
I would use a rag and spray silicone to clean/lubricate/refresh your weather stripping around doors, trunk, and under hood.

Please do not take offense to anything in the above list. I write most of my lists like a person has never taken care of a car before because you just never know.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I had to push it out of the garage the security drained the battery

just sitting for winter all of my tires were low pressurized |

shiny and clean is a goal, my goal, I'm getting there

Last edited by shawn parker; 03-31-2017 at 09:18 PM.