New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Decisions Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Default Decisions Decisions...

Greetings and Salutations! Obviously new to this forum but Im not new to cars or automotive forums. Im beginning the search for the ideal MC for me. Im also not new to cars I had a 2000 Pontiac TA WS6 with quite alot of mods and now Im off to try something else. Im slightly on the fence between a 2004-2007 Monte or maybe a 2005 GTO. Im really leaning towards the Monte at this point I want something I can build up. I have a couple questions if anyone feels like entertaining them...

I would like to build towards the 400hp mark, I know the 04-05 SS was SC at 240hp while the LTZ 06 hit that without the SC. The 06-07 SS 5.3 was around 303hp without a SC. So for what Im looking to do should I be looking to snag a 06-07 SS with the LS4 in it or can those gains be had decently commensurate with an older L series?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM

...Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
Explore the forum and you will gain a lot of information on all generation Monte Carlo's.
I do like the GTO's, and the main reason is that they are RWD, and they have a super base engine to mod...
I think there are limitation for FWD's, but there still are some advantages also...

To me, the Monte Carlo is a great performance/touring coupe, and there are some great deals out there on the last generation Monte Carlo's S.S.

Keep us updated on what you decide..It does pay to do intensive homework when shopping for a new ride..
Good Luck

Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by KidSpace
I do like the GTO's, and the main reason is that they are RWD, and they have a super base engine to mod...[/SIZE][/FONT]
I agree, my TA had somewhere around 450hp and the GTO is running around 400 just out of the box. That also gives me pause because I like the idea of building up a car rather than just buying it straight up fast, if that makes sense.

I think there are limitation for FWD's, but there still are some advantages also...
I know alot of the purists claim FWD is just not as good, but alot of the good Euros utilize it and seem to do just fine. Whats your pros/cons for it if you dont mind elaborating?

To me, the Monte Carlo is a great performance/touring coupe, and there are some great deals out there on the last generation Monte Carlo's S.S.
Again another great reason to look at the Monte. I could dump 16k into a GTO or find a good deal on a Monte and use the extra to mod it up.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 AM

I know alot of the purists claim FWD is just not as good, but alot of the good Euros utilize it and seem to do just fine. Whats your pros/cons for it if you dont mind elaborating?
..Hi Fridaze,
I am not expert 4-Sure, so I rely a lot on Dr Googles & his search engines for many answers for help...
Below are just a few that describe it so much better then I can...
I hope it helps..

Handling- fwd vs. rwd - GM Inside News Forum

The FWD/RWD deal if simple physics. If you accelerate, weight transfers to the rear ... It's one of the main reasons that most racing classes have a minimum ...
www.gminsidenews.com › ... › General Car Lounge - Cached - Similar

awd vs. fwd vs. rwd - Import Tuner Forums at Import Tuner Magazine

Feb 28, 2009 ... awd vs. fwd vs. rwd - Discuss Import Tuner, General Discussion, ... However if you look a bit closer, the melting pot of all racing the SCCA ...
forums.importtuner.com › ... › General Discussion - Cached - Similar

AWD vs FWD vs RWD - eBaum's World Forum

15 posts - 5 authors - Last post: Jul 31, 2004
AWD vs FWD vs RWD Cars. ... Stop light racing, if you have awd and some decent power you could easly own a much faster rwd or fwd car to the ...
forum.ebaumsworld.com › Cars - Cached - Similar
Get more discussion results

FWD vs. RWD - Which has better handling? - Benzworld.org ...

Jun 29, 2009 ... Given the same car FWD vs. RWD, any driver/enthusiast would choose a RWD ... about racing I got respect for his ride its a complete sleeper, ...
www.benzworld.org/.../1454089-fwd-vs-rwd-has-better-handling.html - Cached - Similar

Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. Personally I'd go for the GTO because it's RWD. I know a couple guys with FWD 3800 cars that are having problems with traction, I'd hate to see the problems a fully built LS4 might have with traction.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by yutzybrian
Welcome to the forum. Personally I'd go for the GTO because it's RWD. I know a couple guys with FWD 3800 cars that are having problems with traction, I'd hate to see the problems a fully built LS4 might have with traction.
So is it not typical for guys to try and add alot of power? Is it pretty standard to just do the small hp upgrades vs turbos or such?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 AM

The L67 has a large aftermarket as far as performance. It just depends, around here most people just do intake, exhaust, and pulley if they are S/C. If you hop over to clubgp a lot of people do cams, rockers, intercoolers, manifolds, heads... I've done a good bit of upgrading to mine but not rockers or a cam as I don't won't it to become unreliable. My 04 is for sale btw

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM

When done right, usually means $$$$$, reliability, is usually not an issue. This means doing your research, matching the right parts and installing them in the proper order. It`s time consuming. Can be expensive and not for the impatient. Myself being one of them. Will have to change my ways if my build is going to get done, and done right.

RW v FW v AW.

I`m guessing I`m one of the older people here. AW drive is still pretty new to me. Regarding FW v RW. There was a time that FW drive was not meant for big HP applications. You could build up the engine, beef up the trans to a point. But it still came down to the weakest link, the front drive linkage. There was just no way or aftermarket parts available to beef them up to handle the higher output. After the first time or two of showing off you were bound to leave something lying on the road, or at least hanging from your undercarriage. Having to call the hook or a flatbed to get home will spoil anyone`s day. Tends to put a big dent in the wallet too.

Times are changing. As was mentioned. Check what is available in the aftermarket. Decide which way you want to go with your new project. Mild to wild, or any point in between. Do not ignore the details.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a good base. But can not beat the feeling of knowing you built it yourself.

That`s my .02. 5L.Eater heading back to the shadows to read.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Good luck on the search! && btw just bcuz it says SS on the 04 & 05 montes does not mean it has a supercharger...I'm like super **** about that lol I'll have people talk to me all of the time on how they see supercharged ss models everywhere & I'll ask them if it said supercharged in front of the ss & they will say no & I'll be like arghhh people lol

Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Good luck on the search! && btw just bcuz it says SS on the 04 & 05 montes does not mean it has a supercharger...I'm like super **** about that lol I'll have people talk to me all of the time on how they see supercharged ss models everywhere & I'll ask them if it said supercharged in front of the ss & they will say no & I'll be like arghhh people lol
All 05 SS's were supercharged.

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions...