New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Which Cold Air Intake is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Which Cold Air Intake is Best?

ORIGINAL: MC2K

I try taking the stock air box from my monty and I noticed a silver/metal box with wires connected to it. Do you know what this is and where should I place it if I get rid of the stock air box?
not to be biased, i'm sure all the other set-ups are just as good, but i only say this because i'm familiar with the k&n one and that it comes with a tray that bolts to the bottom of the heat shield that will house the computer. the k&n guys really did their research on this unit, no drilling required, just bolts and screws, the hardest part was putting the rubber seal (gasket) around the top of the heatshield....i think that the k&n one gets just as much cold air as a fenderwell one as its right where the fenderwell hole is, and its got a heat shield around it to keep all the heat off the engine away from it...

Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Do you know by any chance what the part number is for the one that has the tray? Or do they all come with a tray? I want to buy a cold air intake that would look good and makes a good sound too. I heard that the K&N is very good but never try it.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM

no i dont wish i still had it.
but you can find them eaily enough . just look for the blazer computer tray. want to say it was for the 99-03 versions.
they go on the pax fender of the truck and mount with like three screws. you will end up having to redrill the holes for mounting it anyway due to where it will be mounted.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

part # is in the bottom corder part # 57-3045 and that little sqare empy spot you see no the right side of the pic is wheret he computer goes...4 allan key bolts hold it in place...and all the steel is the heat sheild with the gasket around the top and that little horseshoe hole is for the wiring for the computer to go through

Old 01-21-2007, 01:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had my K&N intake for almost a year now. I didn't like the open top, so I fab'd a clearlexan cover for it. Actually it's my third, and there will soon be a fourth and maybe fifth version, the last being with graphics. The piece on there now was a free piece of scratched scrap big enough for 2 pieces. Seems to work fine.

Driving in the winter was an issue to me, but so far no problems from moisture and the PCM, which is now open. I drive an hour each way to work, andI have put 32,000 miles on this car with this K&N cold air intake. It immediately increased my milage by 2.0 mpg. I had it 2 weeks before adding the K&N. 22.5 before, and 24.5 after. On premium. After adding the electronics, I'n now averaging about 23.8-24.2 mpg.

The jist is, I highly recommend the K&N system, but you got to cover it, or any other open intake for that matter. Hot air is an issue, at least for me.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

I've had my K&N intake for almost a year now. I didn't like the open top, so I fab'd a clear lexan cover for it. Actually it's my third, and there will soon be a fourth and maybe fifth version, the last being with graphics. The piece on there now was a free piece of scratched scrap big enough for 2 pieces. Seems to work fine.

Driving in the winter was an issue to me, but so far no problems from moisture and the PCM, which is now open. I drive an hour each way to work, and I have put 32,000 miles on this car with this K&N cold air intake. It immediately increased my milage by 2.0 mpg. I had it 2 weeks before adding the K&N. 22.5 before, and 24.5 after. On premium. After adding the electronics, I'n now averaging about 23.8-24.2 mpg.

The jist is, I highly recommend the K&N system, but you got to cover it, or any other open intake for that matter. Hot air is an issue, at least for me.
My fiance put plexi glass over his open air CAI on his 05 Mini Cooper and it looks real cool. I haven't looked at it yet to see how it's holding up with the cold and the salt and the snow. My 05 Mustang has an open air CAI and the car lives outside and I haven't had any problems with it, I just have to wash the filter in the spring cause it looks mighty dirty right now.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Problem with the plexiglass is it is so brittle. You touch it wrong and it breaks. Lexan costs twice as much, but it is "bullet-proof".

Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

Problem with the plexiglass is it is so brittle. You touch it wrong and it breaks. Lexan costs twice as much, but it is "bullet-proof".
actually the cost have come down some on lexan. (thanks God!!!)

Also i would not call it bullet proof but yes it tends to bend and asorbe that would crack or destry plexi.

Also to make plexi stronger for you use a thicker peice for it but remember it dont bend at all with out damage. also be carefule when driling on either as it could crack both. jus tmake sure you ahve a good sharp bit and throw a peice tape over it to help stop if from chipping or cracking while drilling.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 PM

OK guys... I went and bought the CAI, K&N brand and installed it myself last night. The job took me about 3 hours. I could have done it in a shorter time period, but I decided to clean the area where the old filter used to be. I know... what can I say... I ama clean-kinda-guy... I even wear gloves to work on this!

The car has definitely improved in sound and performance. The only down side that I can see is that the filter is exposed and it will suck hot air from the engine. I would like to put a piece of plexiglass on it to prevent the hot air from the engine, but after readin some of the commets... maybe I just leave it the way it is. As soon as I can figure out how to put pictures here, I will post some before and after.

By the way... next in the works is a set of MagnaFlow. I'll let you know how it goes.

MC2K

Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM

look in the Genreal secton there is a post in there about how to post photos in this site.

Quick Reply: Which Cold Air Intake is Best?