New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Which Cold Air Intake is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Which Cold Air Intake is Best?

It does look bigger!! Is it going to be open or does it have a casing? I am not sure how it's going to work if it's just open like that... it will suck the hot air from the engine compartment.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

it has a heat shield around it like the one you posted, works really well

Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 PM

OK... Thanks. I will post the result and try some pictures when I'm done.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I want to go with the K&N that Wiz Kidd has. It looks like a real good setup. My car is also a show car and I think it would look great under the hood. The original air box is real hard to clean because of all the grooves on it. Hopefully I will be able to save up the money for it over the winter and get it in the spring just in time for car show season. I don't think I will have a problems with the check engine light. I didn't have a problem when I put on my Dynomax Cat back exhaust. It depends on the car. I have an 05 Mustang V6 as my every day driver and I put a CAI system on it but I had to by a tuner because the intake/engine is too sensitive so with that car it's a must or you will get the check engine light to come on. I think are montes will do fine with this K&N set up.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 PM

poor DESS
when i get back we will see if i can find a bone yard in the area that ahs the parts and we can make you one for under 30.00 and it will even say K&N on it to . (those are cheap stickers LOL )

here is the thing with these things.
to get a true "cold air:" induction out of any of them you need to ge tthe filter as far from heat as you can.
the best way to do this is to suck the air from out side of the engin bay completly. it makes them suck kooler air. But honestly anythign you have is goign to get heat soacked some so it wont always suck cold air.
So if you keep this in mind when you install,buy etc... you will see what ones might work better then others.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks mickey!! By the way... I try taking the stock air box from my monty and I noticed a silver/metal box with wires connected to it. Do you know what this is and where should I place it if I get rid of the stock air box?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 AM

the metal box your talking about is the computer . yeah not a good thing to let hang from those wires.

the first thing i did with mine is i tied it down to the place it was in the beggingin.

But after looking aroudn and readign i found out you can get the PCM try from a Blazier (for ge tthe year) and it will bolt on to the fenderwell righ tin the same place as the wir box with very. liltel mods.

Or if you know your not going to use the stock air box again you can cut the comp. try off the bottom of it and mount it to the same place it was . this will requier you to drill a hole int he tray and then one in the fender support there to hold it in place.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: MC2K
By the way... DESS03, congrats on the winning, your Monty looks prety good. You are setting new standards.
I'll say he's setting newstandards... just the size of thesignature picture alone. Congrats on the win Dess if I forgot before.

I have a Wizaired box and it seems to be the best out there. I also did about 3 months research before purchasing it and it paid off. It doesn't look the best in any means, but the construction is right on the money... no gaps that others complain about.

Also - welcome to the forum!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:57 PM

hey 04 intimidator if ya get a chance can you post a photo of it?

i have to say this Im not agianst K&N or even Air Raid etc... but i cant see paying 200+ somthimes for a peice of tube that is the same as you have already, the only diffrencen is a sticker?

the cone filters can be added directly tot he end of the pipe you have now goign in to the filter box. all you have to do is have ashort peice of tube to make it a male end on that side to mount the filter.

you can find other kitsout there cheaper and they do the same job. you can even get a universal kit of elbows etc. and make your own kit.

Jsut look aroudn and see what is out there befor eyou go witht he flow and by a name .

Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 AM

Hummmm!!!! mickey might have apoint on this one! Im gona have to check around around before doing the investment. After all... if I can get something out there at a lower price that would do the same... why not?

More to come. Thank you guys.

Quick Reply: Which Cold Air Intake is Best?