New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Changing Muffler on 2007 ss

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Question Changing Muffler on 2007 ss

I'm changing my muffler on the 2007 SS. I want to do it myself, but I don't trust that I can weld on a new muffler with my limited welding ability.

I want to use a clamp but the pipes bend very close to the start of the muffler, and I'm afraid that a clamp wont have enough space to attach the muffler securely.

What should I do? Is it possible to use clamps here?

Changing Muffler on 2007 ss-img_1488.jpg

Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 AM

I used clamps in the same spot for a couple weeks.. The way I had to do it was clamp it with the right size clamp, then go down a clamp size to close up the gap.. But I also had the wrong size sleeve to go from the exhaust pipe>muffler..

As long as you put on the right size connector and clamps (no gaps), you should be fine.. Those clamps are stronger than you would think..

Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Would you recommend trying a guillotine clamp at all?

Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by SUPERSTRUTTER
Would you recommend trying a guillotine clamp at all?
Yea those are the ones I was using.. Just be sure not to over tighten them or you could cause some restriction issues..

Something else I did was turn them upside down so the nut/bolt part of it was facing up towards the bottom of the car cause them things are ugly..

Be cautious doing this tho.. Be sure you have a good 2 inches or so of "overlap" on each end of the sleeve to make sure its (the muffler) not gonna fall off OR if you just dont have that much length after the bend, secure the muffler to the car first..