New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

car shopping - 04 supercharged monte

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Default car shopping - 04 supercharged monte

Hi there, looking for some advice while car shopping and was wondering if anyone could help.

I am looking at an 04 monte carlo ss supercharged, black on black loaded with all the options. Its a pretty nice car although it does have some things im not too fond of. First is the mileage 152,000. There are a few other small things like a small paint chip on the hood, the radio button being broken and the leather a little worn but all in all its a nice car. I loved driving it, its so nice and smooth and the acceleration .

So I was just wondering what you guys thought about the miles. This is the only supercharged one for sale in my area and they want 5995 for it.
Right now I drive a 1990 Turbo Pontiac Grand Prix, I love the car but it gives me too many issues. Hope you guys can give me some input on the car.

Thanks,
Dylan

Old 04-30-2010, 07:24 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well 152k is alot of miles, and even with that price being very cheap, you will start having problems eventually especially if you put on a lot of miles every year. I mean if you really love it, go for it, but with the hp that sc engine can push the tranny could go to. Yea tons of people will pop on here saying how they can last to 200k, but its all luck, mine went at 110k. So just do a bit more searching, mabye even drive a bit farther to find a lower mileage one. Also take it to a mechanic.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:13 PM

What do you want this car for? Is there a carfax on it? Those are some of the questions that I would ask first before I can give you an option on it.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:41 AM

i pretty much just want a cruising car to go from point a to b. i work two jobs within a mile from my house and go out occasionally. i want like having the power but dont really use it... just want to be able to get up and go. no car fax but could get one.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Was planning on taking it to a mechanic before i commit. I put on maybe 10000 miles per year. its got everything i want except for the high miles lol.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Wow 152K! Thats a lot of miles for a 04. I got my S/C 04 almost 2 years ago with only 18,395 on it but mine was also a lot mroe then 6K lol. hmm idk that seems like a lot of miles but it the car seems to run fine & the checkup from the mechanic is good then i guess its a good deal

Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 AM

MILES DONT MEAN **** my point is if it breaks fix it I JUST LOVE WORKING ON CARS so i dont care if it breaks lol but yet again thats alot of miles and u dont no what the car has been threw so thats all up to u my first car i bought had 140 on it sold it with 220 so thats all on u

Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 AM

gonna see if theyll let me take it to the chevy dealership tom to have it looked at. if all is well im gonna buy it tom.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi Dylan, & Welcome to the MCF
The price is decent & the miles are high, but it depends a lot on how the Monte was driven & maintained.
Yes, do get a CarFax 4-Sure...It will tell how many owners/and if it has been in a accident that was reported.

It would pay U to have it inspected by a certified/experienced mechanic, and also a body man to check for any flaws.

Wish you super luck on getting it...Please keep us updated, and we will expect pictures : )
Look forward to your future post....

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM

So went to get the car today and the dealer had already started fixing things I didnt like. One of the headlights was off colored so they put a brand new one in. The a/c doesnt work, they said they tried to charge it but it has a hole in it, they have the part on the way.

So took it to the shop, they found a pretty decent oil leak and a tiny bit of play in the drivers wheel bearing. Also said the fluids were a little dirty. They said it was a nice car but didnt like the high miles either. They also said it had no signs of an accident, has had suspension and brake work done, lots of new parts.

Took it back to the dealership with the list the shop gave me, they said theyd start work tomorrow so it would be ready Friday. Said theyd replace all new fluid and find the oil leak and fix it. Said I was welcome to take it back to the shop after to have it looked at or they would put it on a lift and show me the work.

I feel pretty good about it, I think Ill be joining the Monte Club on Friday.

Quick Reply: car shopping - 04 supercharged monte