New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Bought a 98 monte carlo ls.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Default Bought a 98 monte carlo ls.

Im not very good with cars yet so im trying to learn with my buddy but what do you guys suggest i put into it? It only had 98,000 miles and its in perfect condition i only paid 1k for it as well. Should i keep it and upgrade? I know this is a monte carlo site but there is a cheaper mustang im looking at as well should i sell this car and get that?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If it were me I would get a nice intake for it and a nice stereo and maybe some rims and keep it stock other than that. Keep it nice and clean and dont waste your money on alot of performance items for it. Post up some pics.

I wouldnt waste your money on the mustang. If its a V6 mustang, you will be dissapointed with the performance and it wont be as practical or comfortable to drive as the monte.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
If it were me I would get a nice intake for it and a nice stereo and maybe some rims and keep it stock other than that. Keep it nice and clean and dont waste your money on alot of performance items for it. Post up some pics.

I wouldnt waste your money on the mustang. If its a V6 mustang, you will be dissapointed with the performance and it wont be as practical or comfortable to drive as the monte.
Yes i was suprised how decently sized the inside of the car is. I did update the stereo im just looking for some subs now. Depending on what happens ill either wind up keeping this for college or handing it down to my younger brother who drives soon. I will say these cars are reliable as hell.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by steeler7663
Im not very good with cars yet so im trying to learn with my buddy but what do you guys suggest i put into it? It only had 98,000 miles and its in perfect condition i only paid 1k for it as well. Should i keep it and upgrade? I know this is a monte carlo site but there is a cheaper mustang im looking at as well should i sell this car and get that?

Hi Steeler & Welcome to the MonteCarloFamily...

WoW, you were lucky to find a 98LS in perfect shape for only $1K . Was it a one owner ? Tell us more about it; Color/options etc.

We have several member's that also own Mustangs, but if your Monte is in perfect condition, and you are going to college..I would not gamble with another car....Only you can make that decision...Wish you good luck with your Monte & college.

Look forward to your future posts...Explore the MCF & EnJoy

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by steeler7663
If it was well taken care of, the '98 Monte will treat you well. Great cars; decent, reliable engine. I'd say stay with the Monte. For just a little extra $ you can personalize it if desired, maybe some simple performance upgrades down the line.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! I'd keep the monte

Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd keep the monte but if you want to learn how to work on cars go ahead and get the for you'll get plenty of experience lol

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

Welcome! I too have a '98 Monte Carlo LS. It's my 'project car', if you will. Always working on something! KEEP IT

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i would hold onto the monte, the mustangs definitly "cooler", but like everyone else said there not amazing, the interiors suck IMO, bad in the snow / rain, plus cops are way more likely to pull over a young guy in a mustang than one in a monte carlo, beleive me

a 5th gen monte LS is a fantastic car if you have one thats not beat into the ground, and you got it for a great price for the milage. my car's up to 160k miles and still running strong, its still got the original engine & trans. another member has one with over 300k miles! i regularly pull over 30 MPG with it, its great in the rain & snow, handles nice for a "big" car, interiors roomy and well laid out, huge trunk, the list goes on.

post some pics if ya get a chance, and welcome to the forum

Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks for all the input. Its gold with only a few scratches. there was one owner who didn't smoke, some elderly man the dealer said. There's one thing broken and that's the center consoles top latch part. I did have one accident but it luckily was all cosmetic damage. I figured i would just keep it, it only has 98,000 miles on it right now and for 1k it was a steal i thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a 98 monte carlo ls.