New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Another newbie from NY here

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Another newbie from NY here

It's great to see other 3.9 owners join, because I think this engine was underappreciated when it came out, overlooked in favor of the new 5.3 SS. The 5.3 is great, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't trade my 3.9 3LT for the world.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Welcome!

Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM

Mark: Well you definitely made a good decision! Lol. I've never really been a fan of the Furd's,yet Iwould have considered a rustang, but their price's, even usedwere unreasonable, because it's a "hot" item. It doesn't surprise me that even though the Rustang V6 model has less power and more weight (if I remember correctly) it's insurance is much more expensive. I actually laffed when I read the 07 stanghad 200 hp, I was like heck, even the LS Monte Carlo 3.5 engine has 210 or so! Plus it has better mileage.

Not to mention it's not hard for the 3.9L engines to beat even the stockV8 rustangs.

Steve: Oh, the 3.9L is definitely under-appreciated! GM's all focusing on the 3.6 Direct injected that they didn't even design! If you ask me, why would you want the direct injection when standard injection works just fine? It's just another accessory belt driven component to fail. Sure it can get more HP, but it's based on the 90 deg variance, and is naturally harder to work on, and more expensive to make, because of the balance-shaft that has to be included to keep it from shaking itself apart.

It's too bad it wasn't more popular and put in other cars, because this engine has great potential, I mean just look how .4L and the Variable Intake woke it up! I can't wait to see what an exhaust, intake and a good tune will do. Should really get it going, then.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention about the rustangs. Ford didn't put enough work on design, and put it all in the advertising. So they sell hundreds of thousands. GM didn't put any money in advertising (that I have seen), but yet designed a BEAUTIFUL Final product, and didn't sell half as many as ford's 2 door did. Ahh well, such is life

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM

A 3.9 can beat a gt Mustang? Woulda never guessed... Well, hopefully we'll find out what an exhaust, intake and pro tune will do for this car. This car's gonna melt rubber! That is... if I can find out how to get the TCS to stop screwing with my burnouts....

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM

Steve, try turning the TCS off for awhile before the attempt of the burnout. I've had luck with this before, but it's usually tooling around town acting like an ****, lol!

So next time you feel like cutting the gut for 30 minutes or so do it with the TCS disabled, then attempt your burnout. Also, if you use the ebrake it shouldn't mess with the tcs, since there's no traction to be gained anyway, hehe.

Oh, and a 3.9does pull on the GT mustang, I've done it myself. I mean we have less weight, and the weight we do have is over the drive wheels from the dig. I'll be the first to admit after weight is transferred there's less advantage, so from a roll there will be less advantage, but any true drag racer will tell you those first 60 feet are the most important. Another thing to remember is that once the Monte's gain traction, you have a dual peak torque curve working to your advantage with the variable intake. Torque first peaks at like 3k rpm, and once it starts dropping off, the intake opens up at around 3.5k (try 3/4 throttle from dead stop, you'll feel it)

It's a great feeling! I'm addicted... no wonder I'm only seeing 22 mpg mixed driving, lol

Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM

Congrats on your new Monte!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Mark: Well you definitely made a good decision! Lol. I've never really been a fan of the Furd's,yet Iwould have considered a rustang, but their price's, even usedwere unreasonable, because it's a "hot" item. It doesn't surprise me that even though the Rustang V6 model has less power and more weight (if I remember correctly) it's insurance is much more expensive. I actually laffed when I read the 07 stanghad 200 hp, I was like heck, even the LS Monte Carlo 3.5 engine has 210 or so! Plus it has better mileage.
During the brief time that I was looking at the Mustang, I hadn't noticed what the specs were on hp and weight. I just remember that they've got a 4.0L V6, compared to our 3.9. You got me curious about this, so I did a little digging and here's what I found out (courtesy of optimumautos.com and wikipedia):

Mustang V6
Curb Weight: 3350
HP: 210
Torque: 240 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm

Monte Carlo 3.9L V6
Curb Weight: 3396
HP: 242 (Wikipedia lists it as 240)
Torque: 242 ft/lbs @ 4400 rpm (Wikipedia lists it as 245)

All figures are for the 2006 models.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 3900Hero

A 3.9 can beat a gt Mustang? Woulda never guessed... Well, hopefully we'll find out what an exhaust, intake and pro tune will do for this car. This car's gonna melt rubber! That is... if I can find out how to get the TCS to stop screwing with my burnouts....
I saw somewhere the other day where you can buy something that will let you start the Monte with the TCS off, instead of in the default on position. If I see it again I'll send you a link.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Welcome! Nice Monte you have there.

Quick Reply: Another newbie from NY here