New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Allow me to reintroduce myself... PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Allow me to reintroduce myself... PLEASE READ

Hello MCF, I wanna take the time to reintroduce myself to the community since it's been so long since my last post(s)...

I joined this forum when I was 15 and had just bought my first car, a black '02 SS. That car has been my soulmate for the last 4 to 4 1/2 years. Took it the from 170,011 miles to over 221,000 in the 3.5 years that I drove it regularly. I drove it back and forth to school, work, the beach, and everywhere in between. Unfortunately, I no longer have that car... after fighting mechanical issues for a year or so (replacing the radiator, new transmission, among many other minuscule things), I lost her to an under-hood fire while I was driving it home from college. The temp. gauge maxed out, the alarm sounded, I immediately pulled over and could hear flames and cracking coming from under the hood, only about 20 minutes in my drive. Immediately called fire department but by the time they arrived the entire hood and front tires were engulfed in flames. We aren't sure what caused the fire. I understand that with older cars it's important to pay attention to oil & coolant levels among other things, more often so than a newer car with more advanced technology. All of things had been checked and coolant was added two days prior. The one positive from this experience was that my dad (manages Preston Auto Body in Preston, MD) removed the deck lid of my car before it was towed from his shop, and he is going to add a plug-in for the taillights and then hang it on the wall as a light. Pretty sweet. I will share pictures. But overall, quite a sad day... no one wants to watch their baby burn to pieces. These cars are amazing and I didn't realize the appreciation that I would build for this vehicle. I had repeatedly said I planned on keeping it forever. But my passion for Monte Carlos is what brings me back to this forum in hopes of gaining more knowledge and sharing my appreciation with all of you.

Today I am a college freshman, majoring in aviation science at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, where I am training to be a pilot. My goal is to be flying commercially for American Airlines by the time I am 28 years old. I will be turning 20 this coming October. I also play for the school's baseball team, a Division 1 team in the MEAC conference. I spend my summer's working in nearby Dewey Beach, DE, working for Dewey Beach Watersports. We are a boat/jet ski rental company, so I spend my days on the water as a jet ski guide and a dock hand. A dream job for a college student. I'm definitely a beach fanatic and spend a lot of my free time on/near the water.

As of now, I am not the owner of any vehicle, and that is thanks to a serious ankle injury that occurred back in February on the baseball field, only 3 days after I lost my car. I just had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago and will be off the road for the next few months (what a year 2020 has been, right? lol). But, this does me time to decide... what's next?! I know times are tough for everybody and I'm sure the future is bright!

I look forward to getting to learn more about the sweet rides that each and every one of you take so much pride in. If you have any advice or questions please feel free to reach out. I'd love to hear from you for sure!

Also feel free to find me on social media!
Instagram: @braydangraham
Twitter: @BGraham_1
Facebook: Braydan Graham

Thank you and stay safe out there!!!

Old 04-09-2020, 07:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great little write up. Sad to hear about your Monte but you'll find another one, probably better than your first, soon enough. Ten years ago I had a similar situation with my yellow 03 SS (totaled after someone turned in front of me) but it's what led me to buy the 06 SS I still have today. I always told myself if I got another it'd be black and, hey, what do ya know. I stopped driving it as a daily less than a year after buying it because I wanted to keep it in excellent condition. And that damn 06 has now won over 20 awards - last year it won Gold Class and People's Choice awards at Monte Carlo Nationals in Piqua, OH and this year it was selected to be a featured vehicle at Chevrolet Nationals in Carlisle, PA. Things always work out better than they were before, you just have to stay positive and push through the challenging times.

So what made you want to go with American Airlines specifically? Do they have a hub at a nearby airport? Kind of like Delta here at DTW in SE Michigan. I'm into sports, mainly hockey, and used to play hockey back in grade school. Also love being on the water. My family has a cabin right on the water at a lake in Northern Lower Michigan which I've been going to since I was born. I also bought my dad's '07 Glastron GXL185 from him 4 years ago so my wife and I do quite a bit of boating local to us. Hope your ankle injury heals quick

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 04-09-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member

I appreciate the response! & yes, Salisbury Regional Airport which is about 25 minutes is the headquarters for Piedmont Airlines, a regional airline operated under American. Once I reach 500 flight hours, they will hire me as a cadet and help me pay for the remainder of my training. The minimum hours needed to fly commercially is 1,000, and they guarantee that Piedmont cadets will be flying for American full-time within 5-7 years. Pretty exciting stuff, a very challenging path but I believe it's my passion and my job as a pilot will never truly be a "job."

That '06 is sweet!! Congratulations to you and all of your accolades, the time and expenses have definitely paid off and I can tell you keep it in great condition. Actually just about 2 weeks ago, I was riding around with my parents through a small town about 10 minutes away, and a local dealer has an '04 Dale Jr. Edition SS for sale for $6,500... my parents are convinced that my next vehicle needs to be a 4-door car that's a little better on gas and will be my first "family vehicle," but I'm convinced seeing that thing is a sign lol. I wasn't able to get a good look at it due to the dealership being closed because of the COVID-19 outbreak but that thing hasn't left my mind since I saw it. I guess time will tell!

Again, congrats to you and your sweet ride!

Stay safe!

Old 04-09-2020, 11:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome (back) to MCF!!

You have quite the story there. I also lost my first Monte Carlo. It was a silver '03SS. An elderly lady ran a red light and I t-boned her boat of a car, totaling mine. I eventually bought another, this time a red '07SS. It took me several months to find it online, and finally found it outside of Kansas City, Missouri. Drove 460 miles through a blizzard to get it back in 2013, and it was worth it. Definitely the most fun-to-drive car I've ever had without a manual transmission. I've had it for over 7 years now, and I'll probably keep it a few more. I drive it every day. It now has 86,XXX on the odometer. I hope you eventually find another one that is to your liking.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Monte, I hope you can find another one to get into, or maybe afford to make the jump into something else.

(I hear Camaros are the next best thing )

Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member

I appreciate it! That 07 SS is real clean! The things we'll do for a car... haha glad you made it home safe!

Originally Posted by chifan
Welcome (back) to MCF!!

You have quite the story there. I also lost my first Monte Carlo. It was a silver '03SS. An elderly lady ran a red light and I t-boned her boat of a car, totaling mine. I eventually bought another, this time a red '07SS. It took me several months to find it online, and finally found it outside of Kansas City, Missouri. Drove 460 miles through a blizzard to get it back in 2013, and it was worth it. Definitely the most fun-to-drive car I've ever had without a manual transmission. I've had it for over 7 years now, and I'll probably keep it a few more. I drive it every day. It now has 86,XXX on the odometer. I hope you eventually find another one that is to your liking.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Default RE

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Monte, I hope you can find another one to get into, or maybe afford to make the jump into something else.

(I hear Camaros are the next best thing )
Thank you!!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sucks about the car but at least you were safe. The ankle will heal... Just give it time and physical therapy and don't overdo it. Good to hear from you.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Default Recall on that your car 4 engine fires

Originally Posted by BGraham10
Hello MCF, I wanna take the time to reintroduce myself to the community since it's been so long since my last post(s)...

I joined this forum when I was 15 and had just bought my first car, a black '02 SS. That car has been my soulmate for the last 4 to 4 1/2 years. Took it the from 170,011 miles to over 221,000 in the 3.5 years that I drove it regularly. I drove it back and forth to school, work, the beach, and everywhere in between. Unfortunately, I no longer have that car... after fighting mechanical issues for a year or so (replacing the radiator, new transmission, among many other minuscule things), I lost her to an under-hood fire while I was driving it home from college. The temp. gauge maxed out, the alarm sounded, I immediately pulled over and could hear flames and cracking coming from under the hood, only about 20 minutes in my drive. Immediately called fire department but by the time they arrived the entire hood and front tires were engulfed in flames. We aren't sure what caused the fire. I understand that with older cars it's important to pay attention to oil & coolant levels among other things, more often so than a newer car with more advanced technology. All of things had been checked and coolant was added two days prior. The one positive from this experience was that my dad (manages Preston Auto Body in Preston, MD) removed the deck lid of my car before it was towed from his shop, and he is going to add a plug-in for the taillights and then hang it on the wall as a light. Pretty sweet. I will share pictures. But overall, quite a sad day... no one wants to watch their baby burn to pieces. These cars are amazing and I didn't realize the appreciation that I would build for this vehicle. I had repeatedly said I planned on keeping it forever. But my passion for Monte Carlos is what brings me back to this forum in hopes of gaining more knowledge and sharing my appreciation with all of you.

Today I am a college freshman, majoring in aviation science at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, where I am training to be a pilot. My goal is to be flying commercially for American Airlines by the time I am 28 years old. I will be turning 20 this coming October. I also play for the school's baseball team, a Division 1 team in the MEAC conference. I spend my summer's working in nearby Dewey Beach, DE, working for Dewey Beach Watersports. We are a boat/jet ski rental company, so I spend my days on the water as a jet ski guide and a dock hand. A dream job for a college student. I'm definitely a beach fanatic and spend a lot of my free time on/near the water.

As of now, I am not the owner of any vehicle, and that is thanks to a serious ankle injury that occurred back in February on the baseball field, only 3 days after I lost my car. I just had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago and will be off the road for the next few months (what a year 2020 has been, right? lol). But, this does me time to decide... what's next?! I know times are tough for everybody and I'm sure the future is bright!

I look forward to getting to learn more about the sweet rides that each and every one of you take so much pride in. If you have any advice or questions please feel free to reach out. I'd love to hear from you for sure!

Also feel free to find me on social media!
Instagram: @braydangraham
Twitter: @BGraham_1
Facebook: Braydan Graham

Thank you and stay safe out there!!!
I read on here they had a recall on that year car for under the hood fires you may have a lawsuit and get some money to get a different Monte Carlo

Old 07-28-2020, 03:07 AM

Hi Braydan,

Sorry you lost your Monte to a hood fire. This is a problem with the valve covers leaking onto the exhaust manifold.
They are replacing the Valve covers and taking your engine cover. So anyoone doing the recall work... beware or your engine cover will be a memory if you don't remove it before going to the Dealer.

Yes there is a recall.
They are not mandatory, and if you didn't do it... well, good luck with a lawsuit.
I did all the recall work and guess what? It still leaks.
Will have a competent mechanic replace my gasket.

Lots of Monte's out there. Amazingly some with hardly even any mileage if you have deep pockets for a car that is 16 to 20 years old.
I prefer the Supercharged models myself.

Sorry you lost her.
Heal quickly from your ankle injury.

Bob

Quick Reply: Allow me to reintroduce myself... PLEASE READ