New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2006 SS - Puff of Smoke On Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Question 2006 SS - Puff of Smoke On Deceleration

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with 36k on it and every once in a while on a warm day when coming down off of a highway onramp and letting off the throttle, I get a big puff of gray to dark colored smoke out the exhaust. The car does not smoke at all any other time, does not use oil, and only gives out a puff of smoke once in a while on deceleration. I took it to my Chevy dealer and it did not act up for them. Also, I got it with 33k on it in December and it sits most of the time in my garage so I’m wondering if this could be caused from not driving it that much. Let me know if you have seen the same thing on your 2006-2007 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.4Liter V8.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum mam.

I really dont know the answer, but i am sure once other members log in, they might point you in the right direction.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks Popcorn King! Yeah, I just wiped my finger in the chrome exhaust tips and I'm getting a light coating of carbon on my finger (no oil residue).

Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How's your air filter???

Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Hello, I have a new Fram hi-flow reusable filter in this car.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Question 2006 Montel Carlo SS Cowl Hood

Is anyone aware of any good companies that make a high quality cowl induction hood for my 2006 Monte Carlo SS?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM

15 Year Member

There's a few things I can think of. One of them is that your car is just running a little too rich on the highway and you are getting some unburned fuel when you let off the gas and get off.

Another could be your driving habits. I'm not saying you drive the car hard, but do you get the RPMs a little high when on the highway? I've heard LSx engines can allow some oil to get through (very minimal amounts) when you are driving hard, that would mean that it has to escape somewhere, and it's out the exhaust.

When dealing with exhaust colors, the darker black it is, the more unburnt fuel you have.

Anyone with the LS4, does this engine also use the PCV system? You could also just need to change your PCV valve as that could be letting some extra drops of something in.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:44 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2006MCSS
Is anyone aware of any good companies that make a high quality cowl induction hood for my 2006 Monte Carlo SS?
Cowl, no I don't know. It would probably have to be custom.

You do have the MPD-Hood with functional ram air though.

http://www.mpd1.com/content/mc_ramair07.html

Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Yea the mpd hood is about the best bet, great functionality and they look mean as hell to. Not sure about the smoke issue though, never noticed it on my LS4 and its been RUN a few times lol.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 AM

i guess i should have searched for this before but i never paid attention ... i get this same exact thing but i notice its only on nights that were 50-60 and a little humid and then the next morning its warming up but i didnt let the car warm up all the way before driving ... and the first time after 20-30 seconds of consistent throttle, followed by waiting at a light ... POOOOOFFFFFF ... ninja smoke traffic disappearing act ...

even my old 94 crown vic that would suck a quart of oil every 200-300 miles wouldnt smoke that bad if you tried ...

the first time the monte did this i pulled over and nearly **** myself ... i spent a good twenty minutes looking around the car, checking the oil and rechecking it ... starting it again without the air on ... letting it warm up for like 10 minutes while listening under the hood ... i thought for sure i was gonna start crying on the side of the rood because i thought i blew out a piston or bent a valve or something because my stupid brother ran regular 87 octance for a while when he was broke ...

so now ive since only had it happen once because i was in a hurry to get home ... it was humid the day before and i just took off from work and about 2-4 minutes later down the road i let off the gas, took a corner and POOOOFFFFFF ...

pay attention to how long you let your car warm up before it does this ... how long it was on DOD before it started again and how immediately you got back on the gas and how hard ... i now always give a little rev before slowing down for a light to allow the car to kick itself out of 4 cylinder mode ... and then toss it neutral while at a light for more than 30 seconds to take the pressure off the motor or even put it park and occasionally give it a little 1500 rpm 5 second burst ...

ill never forget the first time it happened man ... while checking the car out and checking the oil level ... i checked my shorts too :p

Quick Reply: 2006 SS - Puff of Smoke On Deceleration