New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2005 MC LT giving me trouble >Help Please<

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy 2005 MC LT giving me trouble >Help Please<

What's going on MC fam... This is my first post but I've been a fan of the forum for sometime now. I have an 05 Monte Carlo LT with the 3.8 in it. I recently installed a K&N air filter in until I got the money for the cold air intake. Well a month after that my ABS and Service Traction light came on. As I was trying to figure that out my car just started starting when it wanted to. I've had the battery checked which they said was bad but the battery was only a few months old. After the replacement battery, the same problem occurred. I took it to the dealership and they pretty much gave me the run around telling me I need a new gauge cluster, ignition switch and ignition cylinder and change the PCM with a new one. I thought the ignition cylinder and switch were the same thing. I changed the switch last year so I took it out and replaced it since its life time warranty and still got no improvement. Can someone please assist me in trying to find the problem.

Last edited by Space; 10-25-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: 2 get attention from the pro's : )
Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Default hey

Have you scanned it yourself?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Ohfive
What's going on MC fam... This is my first post but I've been a fan of the forum for sometime now. I have an 05 Monte Carlo LT with the 3.8 in it. I recently installed a K&N air filter in until I got the money for the cold air intake. Well a month after that my ABS and Service Traction light came on. As I was trying to figure that out my car just started starting when it wanted to. I've had the battery checked which they said was bad but the battery was only a few months old. After the replacement battery, the same problem occurred. I took it to the dealership and they pretty much gave me the run around telling me I need a new gauge cluster, ignition switch and ignition cylinder and change the PCM with a new one. I thought the ignition cylinder and switch were the same thing. I changed the switch last year so I took it out and replaced it since its life time warranty and still got no improvement. Can someone please assist me in trying to find the problem.

Hi Oh Five & Welcome to the MCF.
How many miles on your LT ? Is the K& N drop in filter your only mod ?
Was it a Chevy Dealership that you took your Monte to ?
Did it throw any code's ?
What was the reason the dealership said you needed the above item's done ?

Please post additional information on your problem(s) & it will help our member's help you `if they can...Good Luck

Oh, are you presently still driving your LT ?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM
1 Year Member

I have 127k miles on my MC. And yes the drop in was the only mod I did besides cosmetics such as HIDs and LED Tail lights. I did take it to the chevy dealership where it threw the c1298 and the u1040 codes which were the same as when I scanned it. They said that I had electrical problems but they couldn't signify one specific part so changing the ignition cylinder the ignition switch, gauge cluster and the pcm would solve my problem they believe. I am currently driving the car, in the mornings it doesn't fire initially I have to turn the switch on and off a couple times before it starts but when it starts everything is fine.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Thanks OhFive for your fast reply & I hope that one of our expert tech member's have some suggestions for you.

The ignition switch has been one of the problems with the Monte
Keep checking back & hopefully someone will be able to help.

Oh, did the dealer give you an estimate ?

* Have you cleaned your key ? The pellet on your key can pick up dirt etc & not make a good contact. Have your cleaned you key ? (Sounds dumb, but it happens)..Just use a small dab of dish soap & then dry good. Also, don't have a lot of things on your key chain..
The weight & swinging back & forth can wear the cylinder & cause problems...That's my only tips for now

Check back when you can & Good Luck

Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM
1 Year Member

I did change the switch in the car but the dealership gave me a paper and requested the switch and the cylinder. Where is the cylinder? I thought the ignition switch and cylinder were the same thing basically

Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM
1 Year Member

I appreciate the feedback also Space!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM

2000-2005 Chevy Monte Carlo Ignition Lock Cylinder Kit (AC Delco) at 1AAuto.com

Click above
2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Ignition Lock Cylinder - Steering - Standard Motor Products 00-05 Monte Carlo Ignition Lock Cylinder - 3555-07140059 - PartsGeek

Click above

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM

NOTE: These instructions and pictures show how to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder for the following vehicles:
2004-2005 Chevy Classic
2000-2005 Chevy Impala (Includes 04-05 Impala SS)
1997-2003 Chevy Malibu
2000-2005 Chevy Monte Carlo (Includes 04-05 Monte Carlo SS)
1999-2004 Olds Alero
1997-1999 Olds Cutlass
1998-2002 Olds Intrigue
1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am

The ignition lock cylinder contains the pass-lock security chip that is extremely common to fail on the above vehicles. A typical symptom of failure is the security light illuminating on the dash. Also keep in mind the electronic ignition switch is located just behind the lock cylinder. It is the plastic part that the ignition lock cylinder fits into. It contains the actual electrical connections and wiring and it sends current to numerous different components. This part is not as common as the lock cylinder, however many times it also needs replacement. You can purchase both the lock cylinder & electrical ignition switch below. A proper diagnosis is needed to verify these parts are failed or possibly failing intermittently.
Purchase Together:
OE: ACDelco D1493F Ignition Lock Cylinder & ACDelco D1432D Electronic Ignition Switch
or

Aftermarket: Standard Motor Products Electronic Ignition Switch & ACDelco Ignition Lock Cylinder
  • Removal and installation:
  • Remove Trim panel around radio, on most vehicles this is just held in with snap-in clips, some vehicles may have a screw or two to remove
  • Unbolt and remove the radio to gain access to the back of the lock cylinder
  • Press the small release tab (see picture) While turning key to the ON Position
  • Slide out old lock cylinder
  • Installation is the reverse of the above procedures, see below for the relearn procedure

Relearn Procedure
  • Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  • Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
  • IMPORTANT:
    The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  • Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  • With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
- See more at: How To Remove/Replace GM Passlock Ignition Key Lock Cylinder Replacement and Relearn/Recode Procedure « AutoRepairInstructions.com

Old 10-25-2013, 02:53 PM
1 Year Member

Napa has the cylinder with the padlock sensor in it for $147 so I will try my luck with that.

Quick Reply: 2005 MC LT giving me trouble >Help Please<