New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

2004 MOnte CArlo BLown Engine!!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Default 2004 MOnte CArlo BLown Engine!!! HELP!!

HEy folks!! Im new here and have got my hands on a 2004 monte carlo ss for $1500.. the only problem is the motors locked up... I cant find anywhere that shows or tells how to perform an engine install or removal or transmission removal.....??

CAn anyone tell me IF the tranny can stay in and just the motor be pulled.. its a 3.8 automatic....

Most Currently since I couldn't find any instruction I just dove right in..

Im trying to avoid pulling the tranny with the engine ... every-things disconnected and the only problems is theres a tranny bolt on the back side of the engine under the exaust headers.. theoretically if it can come out the whole engine can be pulled without the tranny.. the only,problem is how to get to it...

Is there anyone on this forum that can shed some light?? I am prety experienced with mechanical work just not chevys... any help would be appreciated.... IM thinking exhaust mani on back got to go?? thats seems pretty difficult.. Any other ways??

Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 AM

The first thing you'll need to do is disconnect the battery and all the wiring; remove all the coolant/heating hoses; remove serpentine belt, alternator, a/c, p/s pump; remove the passenger side wheel for access to the mount on the frame and on the engine/trans; (support the engine with a hoist) remove all the mounts; remove the flywheel bolts (3); remove bolts engine/trans bell; out it goes. You should invest in a Haynes/Chilton manual(I did and it's worth it) for complete instructions. To get to the bolt between the engine and transmission, you'll need a very long extension. I used one 8", two 6" and a 3" with my 1/2" breaker bar. You can remove the engine by itself.

I would check the timing chain, since maybe the tensioner/gears went bad, and the engine oil for metal shavings (big ones) which may indicate damage to internal engine components.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02
The first thing you'll need to do is disconnect the battery and all the wiring; remove all the coolant/heating hoses; remove serpentine belt, alternator, a/c, p/s pump; remove the passenger side wheel for access to the mount on the frame and on the engine/trans; (support the engine with a hoist) remove all the mounts; remove the flywheel bolts (3); remove bolts engine/trans bell; out it goes. You should invest in a Haynes/Chilton manual(I did and it's worth it) for complete instructions. To get to the bolt between the engine and transmission, you'll need a very long extension. I used one 8", two 6" and a 3" with my 1/2" breaker bar. You can remove the engine by itself.

I would check the timing chain, since maybe the tensioner/gears went bad, and the engine oil for metal shavings (big ones) which may indicate damage to internal engine components.
The bolt in between the engine and tranny meaning the tranny bolt facing the passenger side on the back side under the headers? i got that one out but the tranny wont come out? shud i have to pry the hell out of it or shud it just slideoff? can you tell me more specifically where that bolt is..?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Good luck with everything!