New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1st Post: Any advice/experience with AC compressors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Default 1st Post: Any advice/experience with AC compressors?

Hello, My 01 Monte's AC is getting weak. The shop said age.........suggested a new OEM GM compressor (Rock Auto runs about $750.00) Installation with new condenser & dryer about $1100.00. They said stick with the GM as the others are all junk..........Any truth/experience to this? Are rebuilt OEM GM worth while? Any other brands worth the money and will last more than a few years? Thanks for the advice......

Old 06-09-2021, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can get a second opinion. That shop just wants to replace the large common fail points and do a full recharge. Yes your system will be working after all of that!

But you could also just have a seal that went bad and lost freon in the system. Another shop might put a little dye into the system and tell you to come back later and fix what is leaking.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You can get a second opinion. That shop just wants to replace the large common fail points and do a full recharge. Yes your system will be working after all of that!

But you could also just have a seal that went bad and lost freon in the system. Another shop might put a little dye into the system and tell you to come back later and fix what is leaking.

Thanks for the feedback. No, it's not leaking, just not super cold, just adequate. In the middle of a Florida day, it needs to be super cold or you aint.......... No hurry in fixing. Just fishing for info so when I do have to deal with it........

Old 06-09-2021, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Phil Walters
Thanks for the feedback. No, it's not leaking, just not super cold, just adequate. In the middle of a Florida day, it needs to be super cold or you aint.......... No hurry in fixing. Just fishing for info so when I do have to deal with it........
These are sealed systems, if it's not cold, it's low. If it's low, there's a good chance there is a seal or something on its way out. I would definitely recommend letting a shop try to refill it with a refrigerant with dye in it.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
These are sealed systems, if it's not cold, it's low. If it's low, there's a good chance there is a seal or something on its way out. I would definitely recommend letting a shop try to refill it with a refrigerant with dye in it.
Thx.......
PW