New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1996 chevy monte carlo performance parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Exclamation 1996 chevy monte carlo performance parts?

Hi yea im looking for some performance parts to put on my 1996 chevy monte carlo. I have the 3100 v6 with a auto tranny. I cant find many performance parts for this car. Now i have a few questions. Why cant I find anything for this car? Now i dont know if i just dont look in the right places or what? I mean the car already has on it exhaust. It has a cherry bomb glasspack. I had a muffler shop cut of the resinator and put the muffler on and then a y pipe on and duels out the back. The car is stock besides that. I was wondering what should be my next step? I understand it has the smallest engine and its a heavy car but there should be a few bolt on upgrades for it. So i guess im asking for help where should i go from here? Also where can i find parts? lol i mean i do all my own work on the car you know oil changes and stuff like that but im new to the performance aspect. Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There really aren't many mods you can do to a 3100... But if you want a little more power, you can get about 20 horsepower from using a 3400 top end on your 3100 short block. I don't recommend using the following vendor, because I got shafted by him ultimately, however your choices are limited with that motor. Milzymotorsports.com probably can you a turbo kit or something... for a large pricetag of course.

If you knew how to port, you would be golden... 3400 top end already adds 20 horsepower, then porting the heads and intakes would have to add another 10-20 easy.

The beautiful thing about it is that 3400 top ends are very common, thus fairly cheap.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM

ok thanks im guessing your car didnt come stock with the 3800. How hard was it to swap that in? Ive been looking on cardomain and i see a lot of guys that have the montes with the 3100 or the 3400 dropping those bad boys in. I mean i know i would have to get new wiring or wiring out of a car with a 3800. Did you have to make different motor mounts? I just got this car as a graduation present and i love the thing to death they look good custom i just hate how slow mine is with the 3100 in it. I mean ive found like a power programmer for the 3100 and **** like that. Im just trying to see if it would be worth the money to stick in the 3100 and make it a little quicker or if its just worth the money to drop a 3800 in it. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. O and sick looking monte by the way man 5 stars lol.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

lol appreciate the 5 stars bruh, I have a lot of hard work and money into this thing. My car came stock with a 3100, but I had a supercharged 3800 installed. I would've done it myself, but with no garage and no cherry picker, my options were limited to say the least. It's not that bad to do, the motor's a direct drop in, you don't need to change the motor mounts or anything. This is a list, off the top of my head, of things that you need to do to make this motor work.

1. Buy the motor and transmission. You need the transmission that mates with the 3800.
2. You need an engine wiring harness from a '98-'99 Monte Carlo Z34 or Lumina LTZ (both came with 3800's stock)
3. You will need the axles from the "donor car", and you'll have to custom mate your own axles. (It's not that hard to do)
4. You need the PCM (powertrain control module) from the "donor car". The PCM is located in the little black box that's by your coolant overflow tank.
5. I wouldn't say you NEED this, but I do recommend a performance fuel pump. ZZPerformance.com sells a decent fuel pump, that's what I'm running.
6. An OBD 2 scanner/tuner. Before you drop pulley sizes on the supercharger (that is if you want to run an L67), you need to scan your motor at WOT (wide open throttle) for detonation - which is sensed by your knock sensors and is measured in degrees of Knock Retard. This is how much ignition timing is pulled to avoid your motor being destroyed - which happens anyway when your car is boosted. A couple of degrees of knock isn't that bad, but I don't recommend running the car hard all the time if you have KR. I'm sure you have tons of questions, just shoot them my way and I'll answer them for you - I know a LOT about these motors and cars.