New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1981 Monte Carlo Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Default 1981 Monte Carlo Help

I have 1981 Monte Carlo that has been sitting in a garage since 94 no problems at the time of storage. It has around 94K miles on it and is in good shape. What would be the best route to get this running again? Drain and refill all fluids and start or would it need to be more involved?

Thanks.
Chris

Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

definitely replace fluids and spark plugs,filters,battery. Once running you will have to keep eye for leaks(seals will probably need replaced) and listen for any unusual sounds. And go from there.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 AM

yeah, be careful about checking seals like jakefluker said, even if you get it running, a car sitting that long, more than likely has had the seala/gaskets shrivel up. people get them running and forget to look at that, then in a few days the car has no fluids left and something burns out. good luck.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM

update:

I finally towed car over to my place these are the steps done so far. I pulled plugs and put small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole and let sit over night. Next day I turned motor by hand then hooked up new battery and turned car over without plugs the engine turned over fine. Checked gas tank it appears to be empty, so tomorrow I will put in some premium gas and reinstall plugs and try and start.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by greerszy
update:

I finally towed car over to my place these are the steps done so far. I pulled plugs and put small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole and let sit over night. Next day I turned motor by hand then hooked up new battery and turned car over without plugs the engine turned over fine. Checked gas tank it appears to be empty, so tomorrow I will put in some premium gas and reinstall plugs and try and start.
You might want to inspect that gas tank before you do anything else. The gas maybe gone but there could be all kinds of crap in the tank. It may foul the engine and be a real headache.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM

update:

It started and sounded decent, had to prime the carb with gas until the gas started flowing let run for about 5-10 minutes before shutting it down. Noticed that radiator is cracked where the top hose is connected to the plastic so that will need to also be replaced.

Things i am gonna do right away, oil change, new radiator and hoses, new plugs and wires, new belts, fuel and air filter.

Should the tranny fluid be drained?
Degrease the engine?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM

I would do a fluid and filter change on the transmission for sure. Could check rear differential for fluid, change the brake fluid wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 PM

update:

replaced radiator and all associated hoses, oil change, plugs, smog valve, air intake pipe. Ran car for about 30 minutes and drove around block. That's it until spring just wanted to get running so I could pull in out of garage to do wood working projects. Next spring will flush tranny, rear differential oil change, brakes, and tires.

One question is the flexible emission duct hose that looks like tinfoil is there something different that can be used there? That hose just seems cheap.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That flex hose is just for heat purposes to the carb. Ive seen most of them fall off or be discarded it never hurt anything. You can buy replacement for next to nothing and will last for another 20 years. They usually get lost or damaged beyond use just from people in a hurry removing/replacing the air cleaner and not paying attention.
Id think a person could come up with some sort of more durable solution to fit but to wiggle the air cleaner around and such the flex hose just seems easier and the cheapest way at least for the 80s and prior anyhow.