New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

1972 Monte, New from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Default 1972 Monte, New from Texas

o/

Never had the chance to introduce myself, even though I've been here for a month or two. I just now uploaded 32 pictures of my restoration in the last 9 months of ownership.

I'm a high school student working on getting a license this summer. Doesn't mean I don't drive it though.

I bought the car originally for $1500. It was caked in bondo and plagued with rust. $2600 later, no rust spots nor Macco-style bondo job.

I filled parts of the trunk and floor with fiberglass myself. I put the carpet in myself for both the trunk and interior. I took the cheap route and carefully painted the blue and faded interior pieces black. Front bumper, grille, and rear bumper had to be torched off by a mechanic. I replaced the grille and front bumper so far. Just needs the chrome trim and a rear bumper.

Ordered new seat covers and tore the blue completely off and rebuilt the foam myself. I still have to do it to the back seats. Before I came across this car, I wanted a Toyota Celica. Like most teens, we're all hyped about imports. After buying this Monte I feel sooo thankful to have this rather than a rice burner. A true American car.

The trunk is from a Chevelle, and this weekend I'll be drilling a hole for the lock insignia, not sure what it's called. EDIT: ahah! a bezzle I remember now.

More or less I have been teaching myself the whole way through the restoration, and have plenty to learn later on.

I can't say I have come across any mechanical problems until recent when I had to cut the heater hose because the heater was running all the time. (no control valve, fail). Easy fix though.

Anyway... that's my wall of text for you. I leave here a link to the album and the most recent picture I have.

Album Link

Last edited by Zuzmaw; 07-06-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 AM

...Hi MaT & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...

I'm really impressed with what you have done to your 1st Generation 72 Monte Carlo 4-Sure + love your choice of your new Color of Blue.

When do you get your license ? (Hope Soon: )
EnJoy your pic's in your album..Thanks for posting...

We will be looking forward to your future posts & updates.
EnJoy the MCF & your SuperSuper 1st Gen AweSome Monte Carlo...

Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks.

I get my license in hopefully a month. I've been to busy on the monte and looking for jobs rather than doing my driving hours and all that. But I haven't gotten much left to do. I really need it for this upcoming school year as I have to drive to a career center for Law Enforcement 1 & 2.

Thing is, I have to earn hours on my fathers Durango. I hate driving that thing. It's too sensitive, the accelerator and wheel compared to the monte. I'm impressed how the MC drives though. It's such a smooth and easy drive.

However it's not what I would call... eco friendly and fuel efficient.

Looks like I'll be driving to school without a rear bumper, like a boss.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 AM

..Great 2 read that U've got a plan already 4 your future.
(Wish U the best + getting your D.L.: ) Don't wanta get busted 4 driv'in without a license : ) ~> 4-Sure

Yes, there's a price 2 pay 4 driving a American Muscle Car, but I think it's worth it 4 sure...Especially the SuperSuper sounds of a V8 Chevy "350" with header's & good tubes : ) + the POWER : ) Yes, it will not be mistaken 4 a `Ricer

If you get the chance, make a vid of your Monte with "SOUNDS" & share/post...Thanks 4 your response & additional infor...
Oh, U sure R up early or late EnJoy your Holiday WeekEnd
p.s. "Below R a few pic's I had on file ref: 72 Monte : )

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1972-...OSE.jpg-213310

http://autocarsnews.info/classics-ca...y-monte-carlo/

Last edited by Space; 07-02-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm up early and late. What can I say? It's the summer

I might have to use the horrible camera I took the pictures with. But I'll get on that today. I just put gas in it last night ( this morning? ) at a Valero. This 20 year old'ish man drove up in an F150 next to me, and asked, squinting at the car "That's a..... Nova?"

Ain't the first time.

Party boy across the street said something about it being a Buick LaSabre.
A lady on my street said it was a nice GTO.
And another lady, one of my fathers co-workers, said it was a nice Camero.

*sigh*

I decided to just let it go and accept such complements.

I named the car after the man who did the majority of the work, Francisco. He's actually in one of the pictures in my album. The most things I like about this car is that it's an easy drive, no antenna (it's in the windshield), and the gas tank is behind the rear license plate, locked. However I have encountered a problem with owning this car.... there's no cup holders. I mean it has ashtrays everywhere, cig lighter, so I take it people smoked more than they drank in '72. :p

A question though, can I create an updating thread regarding the restoration? if so, where?

EDIT: the MC on the bottom has the rims I have in storage, the exact same. It was also originally that blue before the guy before me painted it UT orange. He also wrecked the front of the MC, so it was cluster bolting the bumper and grille on.

Last edited by Zuzmaw; 07-02-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice looking Monte , You did a nice job love the color..

Old 07-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Nice looking monte you have there. Looks like the resto work was done well. I have one question tho you said the trunk was from a chevelle in your first post. Was it the same size and shape or did you have to make it fit? Just wondering.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 PM

great work! Thats a serious monte

Old 07-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Nice looking monte you have there. Looks like the resto work was done well. I have one question tho you said the trunk was from a chevelle in your first post. Was it the same size and shape or did you have to make it fit? Just wondering.
I meant the trunk door, but yes it does stick out a little further than the original door. Hardly noticeable though. Almost anything from a Chevelle will work with a MC. El Camino's and even Malibu's of the same year can be used for interior projects. All 4 cars are somewhat related. Interchangeable if you will.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Very nice! Looks great! Can't wait to see the resto get completed.

Quick Reply: 1972 Monte, New from Texas