New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

04 Monte keeps stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 04 Monte keeps stalling

My 2004 monte carlo 3.4 keeps stalling. It will start right up but stall a second later. Replaced the gas in the tank, fuel pump and filter, pressure regulator, and cleaned the injectors. Also replaced the spark plugs and wires, battery, Ignition lock cylinder and ignition switch. The car runs if I spray starting fluid into the intake, but as soon as I stop spraying it, the car stalls... Thinking the MAF is bad... any suggestions of things I could try? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Well, try unplugging the MAF.. If problem goes away, its the MAF..

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try the MAF, but also try the IAC Valve.

Click > https://itstillruns.com/clean-gm-iac-valve-5883650.html

Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Update:

Went out and first cleaned the IAC using carb cleaner. Tried firing it up, no go. Tried unplugging the MAF, still nothing. The car is now at the point where it will only crank unless I constantly spray starter fluid into the intake. I should also note that the pigtail going to the MAF got chewed through by a rabbit after the last time I'd driven the car. replaced the half going to the MAF. Not sure I wired it correctly because the pigtail I put on had all white wires (so there was no way to know what wire went to what). Could this be the problem? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 AM

If the new plug was the issue, it would temporarily be fixed by unplugging it.. Unless this could have caused some other issue which I cant think it did..

Uhmm, clogged cat possibly?? Anyone??

Vacuum leak?? Like something you may have forgot to hook back up..

Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Was thinking clogged CAT as well since the car does have 123k, but would the car still be running on the starting fluid if that was the issue? As for the vacuum leak, I'm not sure how to check that; but will look into it when I get home from work. Also, could there be some type of computer malfunction causing the air/fuel ratios to be messed up? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM

it wouldn't run on Sunoco racing fuel if it was the cat. Has to be an air/fuel supply issue, which you're bypassing with the starting fluid. That's all I got.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:01 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Could Passlock be the issue? Was reading through the owners manual and it says that if the light is on and flashing, it'll prevent fuel from going into the motor. The security light is on in my Monte, but not flashing. I have tried the relearn/reset procedure, but it does nothing. Don't know what this means. (I've already replaced the ignition lock cylinder and ignition switch). Thanks.

Last edited by N_robertson; 10-05-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say yes, the Passlock is most likely an issue. A steady red security light is an indicator of a fault in the security system. The fuel pump could still be disabled by it, you should hear in hum when the ignition is turned to the "on" position. The ignition switch and/or the lock cylinder are the most common failures, you say you've already replaced those, but defects do happen. Also the security re-learn can be stubborn, sometimes takes several tries. Could also be a bad wire or connector. You should have a code stored directing you to the problem if you scan for them.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-06-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Okay Thanks. I'm going to go to Auto zone Later today and pick up a code reader and I'll let you know what I find.

UPDATE:Rented a code scanner today and hooked it up to the car... Absolutely nothing. Scanned several times and there wasn't a single code. I'm stumped. Considering bypassing the system entirely with a resistor... Would doing this trick the computer into allowing the car to start and idle? Thanks.

Last edited by N_robertson; 10-09-2017 at 11:04 PM.