NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Team Gibbs Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default Team Gibbs Update

JGR/Toyota announcement? been told that the Joe Gibbs Racing / Toyota announcement will be made at the JGR Headquarters the week before the Richmond race.(8-31-2007)

Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Default RE: Team Gibbs Update

Yeah, i read this online as well:
JGR/Toyota announcement? UPDATE: been told that the Joe Gibbs Racing / Toyota announcement will be made at the JGR Headquarters the week before the Richmond race.(8-30-2007)
UPDATE: Joe Gibbs Racing is expected to announce next week it will join Toyota Motorsports beginning next season, sources told ESPN.com. A news conference has been scheduled for Wednesday morning at JGR headquarters. Expected to be in attendance are team drivers Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. A GM official reached Thursday in Detroit said the manufacturer would not comment. Toyota Motorsports officials were equally mum.

I heard that if this happens Tony Stewart is in some kind of breech of contract for not drivingfor Chevy.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:19 AM

Money
Thats why Joe Gibbs came back to the redskins.....
Money......
Which by the way the guy does not need anymore of.......

I will not root for a team nor a driver that runs a Toyota.....
I guess its time to look at someone else.....

I hope that JGR does not win another race nor an other championship AGAIN.......

After 16 years with GM the only thing that could have made Gibbs do this is MONEY

Why change something when you have one of the winning teams out there......

Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

Why change something when you have one of the winning teams out there......
exactly!! i really wish they wouldn't switch...but it looks like its going to happen, there's going to be a lot of pissed off fans if he does

Old 08-31-2007, 11:33 AM

Oh totally agree, Gibbs has a good team, good drivers, and it’s proven they can win. Why fix something that’s not broken. If they do switch to Toyota I hope it’s a complete failure and they get what they deserve for switching. Haven’t they noticed that Chevy has won almost every race this year! LOL
Do we smell another Michael Waltrip Racing team? It’s going to be interesting listening to what Tony Stewart thinks about all of this on his show next week on Sirius.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Yes, I fear a Waltrip rereat will occur.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Busch Confirms JGR Deal With Toyota
[center][:-]
[/align]By MIKE HARRIS,[/align]AP Sports[/align]Posted: Today by `Space[/align]Sept 3, 07[/align]Filed Under: NASCAR[/align]FONTANA, Calif. (Aug. 31) - While Joe Gibbs Racing officials remained mum Friday on the anticipated switch from Chevrolet to Toyota, Kyle Busch was more than happy to talk about it.

Busch, who will leave Hendrick Motorsports to drive for JGR in 2008, said he got a call from the team earlier this week confirming the change.

Darrell Ingham, Getty Images[/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align][/align][b]"We were just always kept in the loop on what exactly was going to happen with that and, when they finally made their decision, they went ahead and called us," Busch said Friday at California Speedway, where he will race in Sunday's Sharp Aquos 500 NASCAR Nextel Cup race.

Asked what the call was about, he reiterated, "That they were going with Toyota."

Although Toyota, in its first season in Nextel Cup, has struggled with new and underperforming outfits, this is a move that will give the Japanese automaker a marquee team - one that has won three Cup championships in the past seven years.

The switch is just fine with Busch, who will join two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin at JGR.

"I got the call and pretty much was OK with it," he said. "It's something more so that crew chiefs, the engineers and all those guys need to approve on.

"Us drivers, it doesn't matter what we're driving, especially next year," he added, referring to the fact that all the teams will be running NASCAR's new Car of Tomorrow for the entire Sprint Cup season in 2008. "It's just going to be the motor that's going to be the biggest difference. The bodies are all pretty much close enough to being the same."

The Gibbs team has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday at its headquarters in Huntersville, N.C., where it is expected that the change to Toyota will be made official.

Officials at both Toyota and General Motors declined comment.

Busch, who lost his ride at Hendrick when Dale Earnhardt Jr. was signed for next season, said the possible switch to Toyota was part of the discussion before he signed with JGR.

"I think it's something that's going to take Joe Gibbs Racing, hopefully, a step forward in the right direction," he said. "They've got a great reputation for being able to produce winning race cars year in and year out and championship contending teams, so I think they're going to be just fine.

"This is a business decision that they felt (was) right. Now I've got to talk to Five Star Race Car Bodies to make me a late model body that's a Camry. So I've got to make my changes, too."

Busch, who has driven Chevrolets for Hendrick since he first raced in Cup in 2004, said the discussions before he signed with JGR included talks with Gibbs' chief engine builder Mark Kronquist about the possible change.

"Actually, when we were talking about the Toyota stuff, they brought Mark in because I had a bunch of questions about the motor stuff," Busch said. "You know (Toyota's) got a lot of questions in that area with the motors because they've got, supposedly, the top end power but they don't have the bottom end and stuff like that. They've had not too many reliability issues, but a couple.

"Mark alluded to me that they feel like their package that they have in the Chevrolet engines, especially with the new R-7 stuff, that they can translate that into the Toyota stuff and, hopefully, have a pretty good piece come January."

Although Busch said he hasn't talked with former Hendrick teammate Brian Vickers about Toyota, he noted that Vickers has had some pretty good results for Red Bull Racing recen

Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM

[align=center] [/align][align=center]
LIVE: Joe Gibbs Racing News Conference
[/align]
Log on to NASCAR.COM to hear a major announcement from Joe Gibbs Racing. Watch LIVE streaming of the Joe Gibbs Racing News Conference at 11 a.m. ET powered by SPEED

Joe Gibbs Racing News Conference LIVE at 11 a.m. ET
Share your reaction on the NASCAR.COM Community
[/align][/align]

Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]`Space goes to NASCAR[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

GIBBS SWITCH'S TO TOYOTA

absolutly stupid in my opinion...

Quick Reply: Team Gibbs Update