NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Phoenix/SunAfternoon

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Everyone is telling us how exciting qualifying is going to be to watch with this new format..... anyone think it is going to look anything more than just a practice session from the outside? I just don't see where it's going to bring hte excitement they're looking for....

Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1) Kasey Kahne
2) Carl Edwards
3) Kevin Harvick

Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Everyone is telling us how exciting qualifying is going to be to watch with this new format..... anyone think it is going to look anything more than just a practice session from the outside? I just don't see where it's going to bring hte excitement they're looking for....
How dose it work ?

Old 02-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The new qualifying is complex, confusing to watch, boring - anything but entertaining. This is one of NASCAR worst ideas. I think they must have imagined it working different than the reality. It does allow driver who botched their run to make additional runs.

Originally Posted by butch049
How dose it work ?
I'll try to explain, but its sketchy to understand and I don't have the facts straight. But I have the idea. And it varies depending on the track size too.

Anyways, they let them all on the track for 20-30 minutes - a scheduled amount of time. All laps by all drivers are tracked. Their fastest lap time will be what count during any point of the session.
Drivers are not obliged to go out when they don't want and can stay out as long as they like.
After the session time has elapsed, only the top 12 will have another session. The remaining drivers have set their position by their fastest lap.
The 12 who advanced basically do the same thing again.

Its dumb, because most of the time the cars are out cruising around at 60mph cooling their cars to make additional fast laps. I didn't see that coming either. But it is difficult to follow. The camera can only really give us one car at a time, so we may not even have the choice of watching whoever get the pole for the race make their qualifying run. The camera is highly unlikely to follow some of the smaller low budget teams which is terrible for the sport. Qualifying is the only camera time some of those guys get, so a low budget team has an even harder time attracting a sponsor, which perpetuating the continued low budget.

They gotta fix this - its a mess

Last edited by JuniorCar; 02-28-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll pick

1. Dale Jr
2. Brad K
3. Joey Logano

Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Smile My Picks

#1 J. Johnson
#2 Hamlin
#3 Kyle Busch

Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=JuniorCar;600411]The new qualifying is complex, confusing to watch, boring - anything but entertaining. This is one of NASCAR worst ideas. I think they must have imagined it working different than the reality. It does allow driver who botched their run to make additional runs.

I'll try to explain, but its sketchy to understand and I don't have the facts straight. But I have the idea. And it varies depending on the track size too.

Anyways, they let them all on the track for 20-30 minutes - a scheduled amount of time. All laps by all drivers are tracked. Their fastest lap time will be what count during any point of the session.
Drivers are not obliged to go out when they don't want and can stay out as long as they like.
After the session time has elapsed, only the top 12 will have another session. The remaining drivers have set their position by their fastest lap.
The 12 who advanced basically do the same thing again.

Its dumb, because most of the time the cars are out cruising around at 60mph cooling their cars to make additional fast laps. I didn't see that coming either. But it is difficult to follow. The camera can only really give us one car at a time, so we may not even have the choice of watching whoever get the pole for the race make their qualifying run. The camera is highly unlikely to follow some of the smaller low budget teams which is terrible for the sport. Qualifying is the only camera time some of those guys get, so a low budget team has an even harder time attracting a sponsor, which perpetuating the continued low budget.

They gotta fix this - its a mess[/QUOTe OK Thanks I think DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I am already depressed at -62 after one race. High hopes for the future though!
1. Harvick
2. Logano
3. Kyle Busch
One of each make.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Kevin Harvick
Jeff Gordon