NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.
View Poll Results: Who would win in a Boris Said/Greg Biffle fist fight
Are you kidding me? Seriously, you're going to ask this?
25.00%
BORIS SAID, because he's a lot bigger, and has an afro.
62.50%
Greg Biffle? It's like a fight with Justin Bieber...
12.50%
Greg Biffle will win because he will sucker punch Said somehow.
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Picks/Michigan/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Michigan/Sunday Afternoon

Introduction, Poll and History

Alright guys... summer snoozing is almost over! We're coming to Michigan... a 2 mile relatively flat track, and the last of the boring tracks... although to me, it isn't really that boring. I'll be awake the rest of the season... This track is in the manufacturers back yards, and they all want to run well for their make.

The poll concerns the altercation between Boris Said and Greg Biffle... most of us didn't even know about it. If you missed it, check here.

Said: "[Biffle] is a chump" - August 15, 2011 - NASCAR.COM Video

I'm starting to agree with JuniorCar and Boris Said... Biffle is a glorified Paul Menard

IF anyone is interested in something to get you in the mood for Michigan, try out this video of the 1971 Motor State 400.. Bobby Allison wins in a '69 Mercury Cyclone (basically a Torino)

1971 Motor State 400 Part 1 - YouTube

Points nad Congratulatory Remarks

KidSpace is to be congratulated for pulling off his second victory in a row, the only time thus far anyone has put together back to back victories!! It has catapulted him to 5th in overall points, and 2nd in the Segment. Chris still leads the overall with an ever widening margin over myself. However, at one time, there were 200 points between the 8 of us who have done this every week... now we are down to just 130... if it keeps tightening up in the grand scheme of things, it may get interesting at Homestead....

1) montecarlo3831 2155 Leader
2) Cowboy6622 2133 -22
3) JuniorCar 2101 -54
4) 77GP 2085 -70
5) KidSpace 2081 -74
6) RocknSS04 2072 -83
7) lougreen03 2032 -123
8) zjerry 2025 -130
9) BocaReject 1009
10) 03JGMonte 648
11) silverfish 573
12) nichols2k 557
13) Teacher 415
14) carlm54stl 374
15) LnLSS06 190
16) bblackstone 92
17) Nocturnx 85
18) jcoeracing 84
19) odessadude 73
20) dustybird3 34

Segment 3

1) zjerry 442 Leader
2) KidSpace 430 -12
3) Teacher 415 -27
4) montecarlo3831 406 -36
5) lougreen03 400 -42
6) Cowboy6622 389 -53
7) 03JGMonte 375 -67
8) nichols2k 361 -81
9) RocknSS04 343 -99
10) JuniorCar 324 -118
11) 77GP 309 -133
12) silverfish 245
13) LnLSs06 190
14) bblackstone 94
15) jcoeracing 84

This Week

This has traditionally been a Ford vs. Chevy, Roush vs. Hendrick showdown at this track. Denny Hamlin and Joe Gibbs and Kevin Harvick and Richard Childress have spoiled the show though....

Roush-Fenway Racing

I think Edwards and Kenseth are excellent picks this week. The Ford's and the FR9 engines are strong, this is an engine track, and they have to run well this week. I think this will be a good chance for bonus points ofr those guys, and could help Ragan or Biffle get in on the wild card. Biffle may be struggling to see thru that black eye that Boris Said is going to give him. It has traditionally been a strong Ford track.

Hendrick Motorsports

Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson are pretty good here. While Jeff is good, he hasn't won here since 2001. HEck, I was 11 years old!!!! Jimmie used to run out of gas here all the time... Mark was good here when he drove a Ford. And seems like Jr. may have won one here once... hell, all anyone talks about anymore is how this was the track he got his last victory. Anywho, Jeff and Jimmie are the two guys from this stable I'd watch out for... Jr. if you want to make a long shot, but he doesn't have much momentum right now. He needs to shoot for the wild card spot or some points.

Joe Gibbs Racing

The Toyota's didn't get the win in California they wanted (Toyota America is out there) nad I think the Toyotas want to pay America back by sweeping Michigan. Denny Hamlin has spoiled hte Ford-Chevy show a couple of times, and he might just do it again providing he isn't too sore from that scary crash in turn 1 at Watkins Glen.

Kyle Busch is good anywhere... I don't think he has won here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled one out of the bag.

Joey Logano is okay right now... and he needs to make some stuff happen too! He had a good run at Pocono, and surprised me at Watkins Glen!

Richard Childress RAcing

Kevin Harvick loves a big, fast track... only thing that might make him love Michigan more is if you double the banking. I think Harvick would be a great choice this week as well as he is moving up in the points again. Bowyer, Burton, and MEnard are kind of long shots here... Bowyer is generally pretty good, Burton is having the worst year of his career, and Menard is the proverbial blind squirrel.

Stewart-Haas

Summer is winding down and Stewart hasn't won? Hmm..... wondering about this guy. He hasn't picked up the momentum I thought he would over the summer months. Ryan Newman runs good at Michigan too... watch him in practice.

Petty

The strong suit of the team all year has been 1.5 mile ovals... now this is a 2 mile oval, but it is an "intermediate" track, and it is a Ford track... so if you want to make a long shot, go for Ambrose or Allmendinger.

PEnske

Kurt Busch is bad about having his momentum broken... he seemed to smile and shake it off at Watkins Glen, so maybe he's okay.

But maybe they should have broken Brad Keselowskis ankle a while ago... guy runs better hurt than he does healthy.

I'd still call the Dodge's more the long shots this week... they've got a solid chance, but they're not at the top of my list.

@$$Hat Teams

This track is kind of Montoya's type of track.. but Montoya isn't getting it done. Kasey Kahne is the man to watch out for... Red Bull needs to make him run as well as possible to keep the team going for next season. I don't see anything coming out of Michael Waltrip Racing this week... Truex was a surprise for me at WAtkisn Glen

Good and Bad

I say watch practice... qualifying doesn't matter so much since the track is so wide, you can get to the front. Also, the Fords have been getting bad fuel mileage lately... and this is a track known for fuel mileage runs, so keep that in mind.

Good Picks

Carl Edwards
Matt Kenseth
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson (just hope he has the fuel)
Dennis Hamster
Pyle Busch

Long Shots

Kurt Busch
Brad Keselowski
Marcos Ambrose
AJ Allmendinger
Kasey Kahne

Bad

No one is really a bad pick for this race... except for the guys who usually run bad.

My Picks

I think I'm going to hold out and watch some practice first....

Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my picks
1) Jeff Gordon
2) Kyle Busch
3) Tony Stewart

Old 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

harvick
Edwards
biffel

Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 PM

5 Year Member

Time to put Watkins Glen to pasture and get to Michigan!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Picks this week

Edwards
Kurt Busch
Brad Keselowski

Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ima go with
Jeff Gordon
Kyle Busch
Jimmie Johnson

Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM

5 Year Member

Alrighty... not as many people pick when I don't pick on Monday!! Hmmmm.......

Anyways, I'm ready.....

1) Matt Kenseth
2) Dennis Hamster
3) Brad Keselowski

Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM

5 Year Member

Fastest car in final practice: Mark Martin! Does anyone believe Lance McGrew can keep that car fast all day though? Oh Brent?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

1. Brad Kezelowski, the local hero
2. Kurt Busch, cuz he's also on a roll with Penske, giving that organization a 1-2 win
3. Matt Kenseth, cuz Rousch is KINK of MIS.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dang... you said it before me - and I'll bite! He was 4th in 1st practice, qualified 5th and was 1st in final practice. So inspite my opinion of Lance McGrew, I'm going to trust Martin to win this one! He'll have to keep the car the fastest in the field and get the mileage, but Martin can certainly do that! Can McGrew get that one win before his career ends this year? And that one win would likely put Martin into the Chase wildcard now!!!

Junior impresses, qualifying 8th. And that should be the poll question next: Has Junior secured his Chase spot? Another question - would it be better to secure that Chase spot running conservative, or to go for that elusive win which would secure the wild cards spot? 36 points is a pretty good buffer on 35th qualifier Bowyer.

I don't think hometrack boy Keselowski is a long shot at all. The guy is on fire! He proved the broken ankle don't mean crap over the last 2 weeks (1st, 2nd). He qualified 6th. This track will not challenge that ankle like Watkins Glen - this is a cake walk.

Ultimately, this is a crap track were nothing matters but speed. It is perhaps the most dull flat out track on the circuit, although fuel mileage often come into play. MIS is the only track which I could attend as a day-trip, but choose not to (anymore) because the racing is boring. The success of my boys is the only thing to excite me:

1. Mark Martin
2. Brad Keselowski
3. Dale Jr

Quick Reply: Picks/Michigan/Sunday Afternoon