NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Martinsville/SunAfternoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Martinsville/SunAfternoon

I'm going to Martinsville!

So it will be at least 3 hours after the race before I have all the numbers figured out... so if someone wants to volunteer to do the math after the race, that would be appreciated! I'll double check their numbers and do the points when I get back....

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

First off, congratulations to Hunter for picking up his first win of the year at California! Congrats also goes to SSmeansSuperSexy for taking the points lead! So far, we have had a different points leader after every race this season! Will that streak continue after race 6 at Martinsville!

These points are also the Segment 1 points ,which has just 4 races left, including Martinsville!

1) SSmeansSuperSexy 529 Leader
2) montecarlo3831 524 -5
3) Leprechaun93 517 -12
4) silverfish33 507 -22
5) Cowboy6622 503 -26
6) 02 Earnhardt 497 -32
7) SupplySgt 490 -39
8) MnteCrloSS47 489 -40
9) Ricks2006SS 477 -52
10) STUMPMI 469 -60
11) 77GP 460 -69
12) zjerry 458 -71
13) 06MistreSS 456 -73
14) 03JGMonte 454 -75
15) RocknSS04 454 -75
16) BlazedSS 449 -80
17) butch049 433 -96
18) carlm54stl 417 -112
19) BocaReject 180
20) DarrynSami 115

2011 Winner 77GP, Jerry, in the first 1-2-3 pick we ever had on MCF Fantays!
2012 Winner JuniorCar Brent!

This Week at Martinsville

This track ahs been prone to streaks by several drivers. Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and Denny Hamlin are usually the dominant trio but in recent year,s we've seen other drivers pop and run well. The track is prone to streaks, and is a very much "love it or hate it" track. As we go through the picks, we'll talk about who loves and hates Martinsville!

Quite frankly, I think they could bring super duty pick up trucks off the dealership lots to Martinsville and put on a great race... that's just how great this track is! I'm looking forward to being there!

It's hard to say where to look to see who is good with this Gen 6. Bristol is a short track, but so much different than Martinsville too. Phoenix is flatter, but not nearly as flat as this paperclip!

The Hendrick cars were WAY off at California, but they were all fast at Phoenix, the last relatively flat and short track we visited with this Gen 6.

If history proves itself... this race will be a Chevrolet vs. Toyota show. The only thing the Ford's may have going for them is Brad Keselowski.

Another factor is where everyone ends up on the final restart. Sometimes you hear a driver complain about how the last couple of starts just stuck them in the outside line and they couldn't get to the bottom and do anything. That is going to be another factor for this weekend too. A driver might have a 5th-10th place car but be lined up 7th on the final restart, shoot past all the cars who can't get the bottom, and end up finishing 3rd or 4th or something. It happens.

So lets get down to it, shall weee????

CHEVROLET TEAMS

Hendrick

Hendrick loves big race tracks like Daytona and Talladega, but he loves Martinsville too, and so do his drivers. Hendrick as a team got the first win at Martinsville. Allegeldy, the crew chief for the one team at the time, Harry Hyde, said that Hendrick wanted to shut the doors and close the team since they weren't running well but Hyde asked him for one more week. Rick Hendrick agreed and didn't even go to the track... instead, Rick accompanied his wife to church and watched it on TV that afternoon.

Jimmie Johnson is the man at Martinsville though... he has a lot of these grandfather clocks and when this team needs somewhere to get some momentum to get into the spring months, this is the place for them to get it. One has to be taking the longshot not to pick Johnson this week!

Jeff Gordon used to be the Jimmie Johnson at Martinsville.. he almost always won this place at one time! Howeve,r the track is prone to streaks... when you figure the place out, it's yours. Now someone else has ti figured out a little better it seems.

And while we think of ol' Dale Junior as a restricter plate racer, he is actually really good at short tracks like Richmond and Martinsville too. This is what he grew up doing! I believe it was the last time we came to Martinsville or maybe it was fall 2011, when I was there, that he said after the race that people looking to build tracks need to build more short tracks like Martinsville, because he felt it was the best kind of racing. And I agree!

Kasey Kahne is the 4th HEndrick car and a man on fire this eyar, but he isn't the greatest at short, flat tracks either. He can hold his own, but I do'nt see him contending for a win either.

Stewart Haas Racing

Stewart miraculously won this thing in 2011 when he was going for a championship, but one has to remember he was a lap down at one time too. While he was good here on the old car we ran prior to 2007, it seemed like the COT and he just didn't get along on short tracks. Plus, his team seems behind on the Gen 6. I don't know if I'd put any bets on Stewart this weekend.

And with Newman and Patrick running in the 20's and 30's in points, I wouldn't count on them either. Newman won this thing by accident last year, lets face it... he wins 1-2 races a year and runs like crap everywhere else. He's a long shot bet.

Childress

Menard has 3 straight top 10's, but I don't think these short tracks are Menards cup of tea. Harvick and Burton love them though! Burton can't seem to catch a break, but Harvick is quietly logging 10th-15th place finishes on a lot of tracks and a short track like Martinsville suits his style.

TOYOTA TEAMS!

We do want to wish a speedy recovery to 'Yotas biggest threat for this weekend, Denny Hamlin. Get well soon!

Joe Gibbs Racing

Mark Martin will be in the 11 this weekend, and Vickers beyond that, and we have to think that Martin will do okay... since he'll have Hamlins setup and all. But Martin hasn't run a short track in a few years, so I don't know.

Kyle Busch is great on these short tracks. I don't beleive he has ever won at Martinsville, but he always ahs a good car and sometimes seems to get overshadowed by the Hamlin-Johnson shows we have grown accustomed to seeing here.

Matt Kenseth would sometimes get a decent package together and run okay at Martinsville with Roush. But Ford's aren't good at this track, and Toyotas are. If Kenseth gets some of that Joe Gibbs magic under him for this short track, he mgiht be a threat but I don't know.

Michael Waltrip Racing

Clint Bowyer is a great driver on these short, flat tracks and he will probably be a factor for a top 5-top 10 at Martinsville, and he is a little bit of a long shot for a win.

Martin Truex seems to like big banked tracks more than these things... I don't see him doing much.

Brian Vickers was a bull in a china shop here in the fall 2011 race... I was there, and the bastard wouldn't wreck anyone on my side of the racetrack, just in turn 3-4! He is alright at a short track though... maybe a top 10.

FORD TEAMS

I think the Ford's are out to just survive this weekend.

Roush Racing

Biffle and Edwards both suck at Martinsville, lets just get that one out of the way. Edwards has one top 5 here, and it was when he was racing Johnson for the title in 2008. I don't see him contending for a victory this weekend.. the only way he even led laps was 2011 when qualifying was rained out and he started on the pole by being the points leader.

Their new guy, Ricky Stenhouse, will probably score a top 20 like he has been... but with the Ford engine and chassis package, I don't see him being a major contender.

Penske Racing

The new hope for Ford this year is Bad Brad Keselowski. He migth have something to say about those fast Toyotas and Chevroelts dominating this thing... maybe even get Ford their first win here since like 2000.

Joey Logano, on the other hand... anyone want to take bets on how many laps he completes this weekend? not that he is bad at Martinsville, but does anyone seriously see him surviving around all the people he has pissed off lately?

Petty Motorsports

Almirola led laps here once... Ambrose doesn't seem to get this palce for some reason... Iw oudln't worry about Petty's team.

My Picks

I'm going with the obvious... but, I'm taking someone I've only picked like once or twice in 2 years of doing this... you read #2 right!!

1) Jimmie Johnson
2) Dale Earnhardt, Jr
3) Kyle Busch

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 03-31-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM

5 Year Member

Some of my Facebook friends have done a lot to get som eMartinsville pictures on our Facebook group for NASCAR history, so I'll have quite a few pictures of Martinsville to post.. so many that I will be doing 2 NASCAR photos a day!!

First, a major crash in 1980. Think we will see one like this this year? On the opening lap?

Name:  martinsville1980crash_zps8ccf670f.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  86.4 KB
Greg Fielden/NASCAR Chronicle Image

Second, a picture of a "definitely not dangerous" pit road in 1958... Lee Petty and the gang service the car!

Name:  1958leepettypitISC_zpsca1fd918.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  76.6 KB
ISC Images via Getty

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Brad Keselowski

Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 AM

5 Year Member

Classic NASCAR Photos of the Day

Here is a shot of tires being mounted prior to a Martinsville race in 1958.

Name:  1958tiremountingISC_zpsef1a2b8d.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  44.3 KB

And here is a photo of Richard Petty leading the field in 1960, en route to his first of 15 Martinsville wins.

Name:  1960PettyMartinsvillewinISC_zps756d0286.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  46.3 KB

Both photos from ISC Images, RacingOne 2010, via Getty. Or something like that.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
88..Dale Earnhardt Jr
..2..Brad Keselowski
48 ..Jimmie Johnson

Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

1. Mark Martin
2. Jeff Gordon
3. Kevin Harvick
Great pics Duane, I like that last one. Major pile up in the first one for sure.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my picks

1)Jeff Gordon
2)Dale Earnhardt Jr
3)Kevin Harvick

Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks Duane, I guess I should introduce myself as Evan now since I've been on here for a bit .

Hard to say for this weekend

Edit:Johnson
Edit:Kyle Busch
Earnhardt Jr.

That 48 sob got er done again.

Last edited by SSmeansSuperSexy; 04-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM

1. #48 Jimmie Johnson
2. #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr
3. #29 Kevin Harvick

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Duane:
This looks like Flatrock Speedway on Saturday Nights!
Its called the fish bowl... its a 1/4 mile around the outside edge! hehehehehe
(I use to race there)

Name:  martinsville1980crash_zps8ccf670f.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  86.4 KB

Quick Reply: Picks/Martinsville/SunAfternoon