NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks for Martinsville!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks for Martinsville!!

Okay guys... first off, I'd like to extend one more congratulations to our Fontana winner, lougreen03. Also, BocaReject held his points lead... and this guy hasn't won a race yet... not even a duel or the shootout.

1) BocaReject 497
2) RocknSS04 494 -3
3) Cowboy6622 485 -12
4) JuniorCar 459 -38
5) 77GP 449 -48
6) KidSpace 441 -56
7) lougreen03 440 -57
8) zjerry 418 -79
9) montecarlo3831 405 - 92
10) carlm54sl 374 -123
11) Nocturnx 85
12) odessadude 73
13) dustybird3 34

And I know my initial commentary is long... but had you guys read it last week, you'd know I said Kevin Harvick was good at big tracks, good at California, and if the chips fell in the right places, he would win... and he did.... and you guys complained abotu it being the first week you didn't have Harvick, so

So we head to Martinsville.... my favorite short track now that Bristol has gone to crap, 3 solid drivers, yet somewhat questionable though!!!!! Denny Hamlin seems to have wrestled the throne of this place away from Jimmie... he's been stellar here lately, sweeping last year, nad he's good at both flat tracks in VA... but JGR has been suffering engine troubles, nad if the past is any indication, Denny has a tendency to throw Mike Ford and the rest of that team under the bus when things are down. Could this backfire on him at Martinsville? Engines aren't what Martinsville is known for being hard on though. Jimmie Johnson, the man he took the title of "King of Martinsville" from, well.... he ran 5th and 9th last year... and just didn't seem to have that Martinsville dominance he had for all those years. Now when you run 5th and 9th and count that as bad, you know you're good.... and what about the man Jimmie took the crown from, Jeff Gordon? That guy had a long string of top 5's going, but hasn't won in like 5 years... almost won last spring with Steve Letarded, and if not for Kurt Busch, may have continued his like 7 year string of top 5's. This year, he has Alan Gustafson.. the man who had Mark Martins' car running like Jessie Owens at the ned of last years race... if a caution had fallen, or 20 more laps, Mark Martin would have had a 1 in the W column last year... I was there, and let me tell you, htat car was flying..... Alan Gustafson is known for being good at setting up a flat track car, and led Gordon to a victory in Phoenix. Gordon's consistency seems ot have faded some this season though.

But what if you don't want to pick those 3? Well, Space may like this... Joey ran top 10 in both races last year... the guy is getting good at flat tracks... he ran 3rd at Richmond, another flat track... ran good at New Hampshire... watch out for Joey this week. The problem... engines... but MArtinsville isn't known for being hard on engines... more like transmissions nad rear end gears.

A lot of guys fall into the "feast or famine" category... among them, Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Carl Edwards, Ryan Newman (who is second in points, no one's talking a lot about him...)... Edwards dreams of winning this track, Stewart... well he wasn't that good at Bristol... btu these guys usually make the top 10 or run mid 20's it seems.

Ford's as a general rule don't do that well here... not the cars, it's more the drivers, becuase Mark Martin was always good here in his Ford's. They might scratch a top 10, especially since they're hot this year... but I do'nt look for them to be winning.

And there is always that lingering threat of a cut tire... though not as much now since the splitters aren't as sharp. There is alwyas that guy getting turned around nad being in tight quarters, wrong place/wrong time kind of deal, and the possibility of green-white-checkered finishes at the end to keep things questionable. There could also be some vendettas out there....

So I'm going all out this week... the 3 guys I'm going with... the 3 I took last fall....

1) Jeff Gordon
2) Denny Hamlin
3) Jimmie Johnson

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 03-28-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This one has become too predictable. Making it less enjoyable. I got nothing to say you didn't already Duane. Here's mine:

1. Denny Hamlin
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Jeff Gordon

Its kinda lame to pick like that, but I need a solid finish this week. Its kinda like shootin' fish in a barrel at Martinsville with those picks.

I'll pick losers later....

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 PM

5 Year Member

That's why I picked on Monday!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

well all right then.
1. Harvick
2. Earnhardt Jr.
3. Kyle Busch

Going on a limb here. Gotta pick something different and hope for the best.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

5 Year Member

It's tempting... I won't do it... but since this track has gone to either Johnson or Hamlin so many times.... I wonder if I should have limited picks to one or the other, and then two more? Of course, they could both wreck each other... they could have mechanical issues..... and people may get confused and pick them both ,then I can't take their picks so.... heck I wouldn't have a problem if everyone took the same 3 picks and we just call it a draw, game on again at Texas....

A few historical things though.... only driver to ever win 4 at a row at Martinvsille: Fred Lorenzen in the early '60s... like 3 or 4 have had the chance to make it 4 straight and never made it happen... maybe it's time that record was broken, I do'nt know. The Green-White-Checkered at the end last year almost stole this race from Hamlin... and Joey almost took it from him last year in that race... so there is still some mystery to who could win.... and that's what makes this fun....

Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM

5 Year Member

I dont usually pic Dale Jr. But he is due for something. I dont mind going out on a limb, its early in the run. Remember last week I said my boy was doing well in the Newspaper league, He has gained 3 spots and moved to third, now only 10 points out of the lead. Great. I am in 175th. but like I said its early............................................. .................................

Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM

5 Year Member

Well there are like 3 races in Segment 1 after this...... in hte overall running, it's early. I'm wondering about this whole segment thing too... seems like they're a little too short. I said I would reset this year, and I probably will... but I think next year there might not be segments, or the segments may be 2 13 week segments and then a 10 race segment for the chase.... not sure which. I don't want to pull a Brian France and keep screwing with stuff soo.... for now, I said 4 segments and 4 segment winners, so that's what w'ere doing this year atleast.. nad if everyone likes it, we'll do it again next year... if not, we might lengthen the segments.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM

5 Year Member

You are the Historian and we will listen... Does seem like this segment is going quick, but I am with you. See how it works this year. We have had 5 winners and I hope to see 6 this weekend at Martinsville. Could be Hamlin I guess.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Has won the last 3 times @ the PaperClip
==========================
Hi `Duane, & Member's, really enjoy reading your post/comments/ predictions...for SunDay's Race.
I hope Dale Jr does good (I hope) & Also Joey L.
I shall post my picks b-4 the Race...I started to post them
in this post, but I just kept changing who I thought was going to have the talent/team/power/good track conditions & the most important factor ~> Racing Luck...
EnJoy the MCF NASCAR Game & thanks `Duane 4 your time & Dedication.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Hey Space, I regret not posting more often here.

My friends make fun of me because I could care less about football or baseball.

But don't mess with me when it comes to the stockers.

I just got a dvr and I love coming home after church and watching the race by myself.

I have a 1000 watt stereo and when "crank it up" comes on, it is the best part of my day.

I loved seeing what Kevin did last week here in town.

I am looking for Mark Martin or another Chevy winning again at the short track.

Yes Hamlin is a big factor, bummer he lost his Chevy ride.

Granpa Dave out............

Quick Reply: Picks for Martinsville!!