NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Kansas/Sunday Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Kansas/Sunday Afternoon

Points and Congratulatory Remarks

This comign week, NASCAR goes to Kansas Speedway for the 2nd race on that new surface. The first race produced a ton of cautions and lots of crashing in the 2nd half... with the new car, we can only imagine what may happen!

On the MCF, Chris has won his 2nd race in a row on Saturday night at Texas, and will be trying to become the only member to ever win three in a row on MCF NASCAR Fantasy. To make matters worse for everyone but Chris, Chris is the defending winner of this race...

That win gave him a nice cushion in his points lead too.

Also remember, there are only two races left in this segment, and Chris has a sizable lead goign down the stretch....

1) montecarlo3831 780 Leader
2) Leprechaun93 736 -44
3) SSmeansSuperSexy 733 -47
4) Ricks2006SS 704 -76
5) Cowboy6622 700 -80
6) silverfish33 694 -86
7) RocknSS04 689 -91
8) MnteCrloSS47 683 -97
9) 06MistreSS 678 -102
10) 02 Earnhardt 666 -114
11) 03JGMonte 664 -116
12) 77GP 658 -122
13) butch049 655 -125
14) SupplySgt 637 -143
15) STUMPMI 634 -146
16) BlazedSS 617 -163
17) zjerry 613 -167
18) carlm54stl 593 -187
19) BocaReject 180
20) DarrynSami 115

*Members SSmeansSuperSexy, butch049, Cowboy6622, 03JGMonte, zjerry, 02 Earnhardt, and SupplySgt were penalized 25 points each when Brad Keselowski had an illegal rear end confinscated in prerace inspection at Texas Motor Speedway before the NRA 500.

2011 Winner JuniorCar
2012 Winner monte carlo 3831

This Week at Kansas

It's another test on a 1.5 mile track... on both 1.5s so far, a Gibbs Toyota won. The thing is, in both races, one Gibbs car won, another ran around 7-8th, and another hung on for a top 15. The trick to these Gibbs cars is going to be figuring out which one is going to dominate and win the race, which one will net you a decent top 10, and which one will either blow up or run 20th....

The Ford's seem to be lurking and not quite up to the potential that the Toyotas are... but the Ford's seem to have a tad bit more consistency....

The Chevrolets are right there with the Ford's I believe... plus, it seems like one of them just runs right there with the winning Toyota, while the rest run Top 10-Top 20 without being in contention. This week, the one that should have won the race broke a wheel hub too.... so the trick is to figure out which Chevrolet is going to be in the mix when the closing laps get here....

TOYOTA TEAMS

On top of waht I mentioned above ,we have to consider that both races so far this year on 1.5's were won by a Gibbs Toyota. Despite engine issues, they seem to have a handling package and power package figured out with the new car. Plus, they were really fast in pre season testing...

Joe Gibbs Racing
It seems to me that the Gibbs team is showing again why they are teh top Toyota team. Last year, MWR put them down a litlte bit but they're back. Kyle Busch would seem to be the strongest bet, since he is more consistent and this is shown by his 3rd place in points. Matt Kenseth is tough on these kinds of tracks anyway but suprisingly let a lot of us down in Texas. Vickers is just Vickers... we'll have to see what happens.

Michael Waltrip Racing

Martin Truex reminds me of Goose in Top Gun. You like the guy, and you want theb est for him, but in the back of your mind, you know that nothing good can ever happen to the guy. Texas was further proof. Whiel watching the race with my mother, and watching him lead in the closing stages, I told her that this couldn't last because Truex just doesn't have that kind of luck. And it didnt....

Clint Bowyer is from Kansas and would love a win on his home track... but lets face it, 1.5 mile tracks aren't the guys cup of tea. I wouldn't look for clint Bowyer to win this week but he might surpise. I would wait to use him at Richmond next week myself.

CHEVROLET TEAMS

Hendrick

To me, the only Chevrolet team that has anything close to figured out is Hendrick. It seems like they're cars are just "Delicate" right now... if you get them right, they're fast... but it seems like when they fall behind on adjustments or the track temperature gets 10* off, they start falling back. For example, Kahne was the only one that was really fast at Las Vegas, and Jeff was the only one that was really fast at Texas for a while. It looked like Johnson might pull it off, but he iddn't.

Quite frankly, Jimmie is ahead of the points because he has finished every race, won Daytona and Martinsville, and was consistent on the flat tracks and the short tracks. He isn't there because of 1.5 mile performance and as the 1.5's come up, if Chad, Jimmie, and Darth Hendrick don't figure osmething out, then they may very well lose this points lead.

That being said, I do believe a Hendrick car might win this race... but I don't believe w'ere going to see a Hendrick top 4. The planets just don't seem to be aligned in their favor...

And they're all fair picks by the way... although it seems the lucky horse shoe fell out of Juniors @$$ and he might need to go looking for it.

Stewart Haas

I think one has to be borderline insane or taking a long shot bet to take one of these guys. Newman was top 10 at Texas, but Danica and Tony both ran like junk. I relaly think Danica's performance so far, which has been a disappointment to many (Aside from Martinsville and Daytona) is really just a continuation of the problems at Stewart Haas racing. I don't look for one of these cars to win.

Childress

Surprisingly, theo nly really good car in this camp right now that is consistent week in and week out is Paul Menard. Menard has leanred how to run a 1.5 mile track and I look for him to run top 10 and crack the top 15, but I do'nt look for him to dominate and win either. Harvick is about the same, I just look for him to run mediocre this week...

FORD TEAMS

I feel like the Ford's are right there at the cusp of figuring things out. They're consistenly putting several cars in the top 10 at this style of track but need to figure out what to do to get to the next level and the defeat the Gibbs Toyotas.

Penske

I feel like Penske might be the dominant factor on these types of race tracks now for Ford. Logano ran 5th ,and if Keselowski ahdn't had a loose wheel and an ill timed pit stop, he might haev run top 5 and contended for a win. I look for both of these cars to run great at Kansas.

Roush RAcing

Stenhouse is right in there with the Childress cars.... but Biffle and Edwards might just dominate the race. Both of those guys are really fast right now and were really fast at the end. That's what counts.. it seems like the Ford's are fianlly figuring out how to be there at the end of hte race and the Chevrolets aren't. And another thing to factor in is that Biffle has won this race before, and Edwards is from Missouri but considers this is home track... he really wants to win this thing!

My Picks

I'm going to take an all FoMoCo team...

1) Carl Edwards
2) Greg Biffle
3) Aric Almirola

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 04-20-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM

1. Dale Jr
2. Martin Truex Jr
3. Jimmie Johnson

Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
Thumbs down

Dale Jr.
Jimmie Johnson
Matt Kenseth

Last edited by STUMPMI; 04-20-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: temp picks.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:23 PM

5 Year Member

Those look like some good picks, Dave!

By the way ,I tried to follow several of you gys Facebook links.. the only one that worked for me was Keane. So if you want to add me, you can follow this link....

https://www.facebook.com/robinduaneblack

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 04-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Kenseth
Edwards
Truex (the bridesmaid)

Last edited by SSmeansSuperSexy; 04-19-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

First off, Congrats to Chris...
1. Joey Logano
2. Matt Kenseth
3. Kasey Kahne
I think I just repeated last weeks picks..LOL..

Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my picks..

1)Jimmie Johnson
2)Brad Keselowski
3)Dale Earnhardt Jr

Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM

1. #48 Jimmie Johnson
2. #5 Kasey Kahne
3. #29 Kevin Harvick

Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM

5 Year Member

It is points penalties day on the MCF!!! Logano and Keselowski were both hit with 25 point penalties, Truex with a 6 point penalty for illegal ride height in post race inspection. I will make revisions ot the pionts when I get home... currently at my teachers desk right now.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Keselowski
Logano
Jeff Gordon

Quick Reply: Picks/Kansas/Sunday Afternoon