NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks for Homestead/Championship

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Picks for Homestead/Championship

Alright boys, off to settle a title and see who can win the last race of the year!!! so on top of everything else, lets make our top 3 picks for the race and our 1 pic for the championship. Do you think Jimmie and Denny are both experienced enough drivers not to drive too hard and wreck one another? I think Jimmie is... but what about Denny?

And here is the way I am looking at this whole thing. Jimmie has been off for several weeks. Jimmie and Denny were the favorites going into Martinsville. Well I was at Martinsville and I don't recall seeing the 48 even lead a lap. Talladega was a wild card, of course, and he ran decent. But then, that 48 wasn't a major factor at any point in Texas to my recollection, and going into Phoenix, he wasn't a major factor there either!!!! Denny, however, had the best car at Martinsville, was good at Talladega, and had the best car at Texas and Phoenix. So as long as he can keep his head held high, he's going to have the best car at Homestead and I think he's going to take the championship.

That being said, my championship pic is...
Denny Hamlin

Now onto the race. Denny is the defending winner, but Roush pwned the place for a long time. And I'm keeping an eye on Joey Logano. Guys, his last finishes: 7th at Charlotte, 6th at Martinsville, 5th at Talladega, 4th at Texas, and 3rd at Phoenix. Had he been in the chase, he'd be in 3rd place and we'd have a 4 car race for the championship. I say Joey Logano runs 2nd at Homestead and wins Daytona!!! Plus, Greg Biffle has been strong this year, Carl Edwards is trying to pour on some late season steam..... so here are my pics, in order, for Homestead.

1) Denny Hamlin
2) Joey Logano
3) Greg Biffle

The Top 10 Breakdown: 3 Toyota's, 2 Chevrolets, 4 Fords, and a Dodge.

Last Place: Robby Gordon

Cautions: 6

Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM

...Hi `Duane,
Thanks for starting the Thread for the last Race & Championship picks...I enjoyed reading your logic & your picks for the race : )

I am going to try to watch the race with the BeachBum's `if my schedule works `out, but I'm not getting my hopes `up, cause I don't want to be let down : (

Without waiting for qualifying, I will make my guesses now

Space Picks for the Championship
1. J.J. (Cause he a proven winner & he drives a Chevy : )
2. Denny Hamlin, he driving hard & I think he wants it 2 bad and will over drive ?
3. Kevin (could win if the above have problems, but I will guess third place.

I would love to see Joey Logano win, but I just hope he has a great race. I am sure we will be seeing him in victory lane, and it would be super `if he did get 2nd @ Homestead and starts the new season with a win @ Daytona : )~* That would be Smok'in : )

(6) cautions ~> Kyle Busch last place He's won enough this year in everything : ) He sure has talent, but I don't like his personality @ `all...I do wish I had his talent & Bank Balance..
Breakdown: 4 Chevy's 4 Fords 1 Dodge 1 Toy & a U-Go : )

Thanks `Duane, and I hope I see more member's posting their picks/guesses : )

***Brent (JrCar) It's your turn...Look'in 4ward to seeing who you pick...You & Duane both posess intense knowledge on NASCAR and I've enjoyed reading both of your posts in the NASCAR Threads over the season...

OK, member's ~> Make your picks b-4 the start of the last race of the season ____________________________________

Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its too soon for me to make my picks for this race, let alone Daytona (but I don't think Logano will win that one). I agree that the Fords will dominate this one, but there aren't that many dominant Fords anymore. Sure would like to see RPM in victory lane before that house of cards collapses

Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Its too soon for me to make my picks for this race, let alone Daytona (but I don't think Logano will win that one).
Guess you need more time to comptemplate the many choice's `Brent.

..Yes, it's going 2 `be difficult to choose ~*,I `Think Hey, got a light

`Brent: "I would make my picks, but my crystal ball isn't working 2day"

We will all be waiting for your picks

Have a M & M while you wait and comptemplate
the meaning of `Life ? & everything that's happening
on Planet `Earth : )
p.s.* Tire Smok'in only on the MCF ~O----O>

Last edited by Space; 11-18-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Screw M&M - they sponsor Kyle Busch. But I will have some of that other stuff...

Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 AM

....LOL `Brent, yes you must have some Mod J.J. imported `SuperSpecial PopCorn LOL
Wish you a great `day & thanks for the laughs.......
Look forward to reading who you pick for champion : )

Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

The race - anyone but JJ. Of course I want Jr to win but not likely this year.
The Championship - see above. I want Harvick to win, but will be perfectly happy if Hamlin does, as long as it isn't JJ.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think it is too early to pick a Daytona 500 winnner. I have lost all faith that a driver has to be a special talent to win a restricter plate race. Winning the great American race isn't all about building that perfect car and having a really good driver like it was when Petty won his 7 500's. Now it's all about luck. It's like playing poker.

But Homestead isn't like that. And I stand by my picks.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 11-19-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM

..Great `Duane that you are standing by your picks : ) Yes `Life is also like playing poker It's all a gamble 4-Sure : ) Hi `Brent, look forward to your picks/updates : )~*
Below is a update from NASCAR.com
EnJoy

HOMESTEAD

1 p.m. ET Sunday, ESPN

Complimentary comparisons
Click 2 read above....What do you think of the comparison ?

There was a time early in his career when Kevin Harvick would be unnerved by the mere mention of the name. But Richard Childress Racing's signature driver has come to peace with his role in Dale Earnhardt's legacy, writes David Caraviello.

Homestead: Tickets | Chase scenarios | SPEED: Contenders reactions
Homestead, Fla.
Clear 64°
Forecast

Hamlin in the lead, yet caught in middle

Maturity shines through as Johnson, Harvick take shots at Chase leader.
69 Comments
Sound Off

The Daily Pit Stop: Picking a champion

TNT's Marty Snider on who is feeling the heat and who will win the hardware in Homestead.
Weekend Preview

More of the same,
or a new champion?

Track Smack: Is Jimmie again in the best interest of NASCAR?
380 Comments
Any more surprises?

Movers and Chasers: One last chance

One driver needs to get his mojo back and one is fighting for a chance to go to Las Vegas.
Preview Show

Bodines' Travelogue: Season of sharing

One final race, a big party afterward and an offseason to begin.
19 Comments
Truck numbers

Hendrick still seeks Homestead victory

By the Numbers: Roush, Gibbs have had nearly all the success.
829 Comments
Fantasy Preview

Kes aims to follow suit at Homestead

By the Numbers: Busch first to win title and HMS finale in same year.
32 Comments
N'wide: Owners' points

Last edited by Space; 11-19-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 AM

From above links
Scenarios: How Hamlin can clinch the Cup

Win or second and most laps led gets title; N'wide, Truck owner's titles up in air

By Official Release

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- With only 15 points separating the top two drivers, the closest championship in the Chase's seven-year history won't be won easily.

The only way points leader Denny Hamlin can guarantee a clinch of his first Sprint Cup Series championship is by either finishing second while leading the most laps or winning next Sunday's season finale, the Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Jimmie Johnson, in second, and Kevin Harvick, in third, are the only other drivers still eligible to win the 2010 title. Harvick trails Hamlin by 46 points.
Hamlin's 15-point lead is the closest margin between first and second in Chase history, bettering the 18-point difference Kurt Busch held over Johnson in 2004.

Nationwide Series
Though Brad Keselowski has already clinched the driver's championship, the owner's title has yet to be decided.
The No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota holds a 41-point lead over the No. 22 Penske Racing Dodge.
The No. 18 can guarantee the title by finishing fifth, or sixth with at least one lap led, or seventh while leading the most laps on Saturday at Homestead.
This season, the No. 18 has been driven by Kyle Busch (28 races) and Brad Coleman (six races). Busch is scheduled to drive at Homestead. Keselowski has run the full schedule in the No. 22.

Camping World Truck Series
Todd Bodine clinched his second Truck Series driver's championship. The 2010 owner's championship, though, has not been decided.
The No. 18 Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota holds a 120-point lead over the No. 30 Germain Racing Toyota going into Friday night's season finale at Homestead.
The No. 18 can guarantee the title by finishing 29th, or 31st with at least one lap led, or 32nd while leading the most laps.
This season, the No. 18 has been driven by Busch (15 races), Brian Ickler (seven races), Kasey Kahne (one race) and Johnny Benson (one race). Busch is scheduled to drive at Homestead. Bodine has run the full schedule in the No. 30.

Quick Reply: Picks for Homestead/Championship