NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Charlotte/SatNight

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Charlotte/SatNight

Points, Intro, Congratulatory Remarks

First off, last week in Kansas was a big week for JuniorCar, Brent!! He broke out his broom and swept the MCF Fantasy races at Kansas, he made gains in the overall points, and took the Segment 4 lead!! My solid run was enough to build up a bit of an overall points lead again.

Overall Points

1) Cowboy6622 2948 Leader (anyone find that last number 48 ironic?)
2) montecarlo3831 2912 -36
3) KidSpace 2908 -40
4) JuniorCar 2904 -44
5) 77GP 2900 -48
6) zJerry 2892 -56
7) lougreen03 2794 -154
8) RocknSS04 2762 -186
9) 03JGMonte 1514
10) nichols2k 1246
11) Teacher 1179

Segment 4

1) JuniorCar 336 Leader
2) montecarlo3831 325 -11
3) KidSpace 323 -13
4) zJerry 308 -28
5) Teacher 308 -28
6) Cowboy6622 306 -30
7) lougreen03 305 -31
8) 77GP 300 -36
9) RocknSS04 298 -38
10) 03JGMonte 293 -43
11) nichols2k 205 205

Charlotte History

The Bank of America 500 was once known as the National 500... in 1969, it was the first race that featured a showdown between the '69 Ford Torino Talladegas and the infamous Dodge Charger Daytonas. The Mopar guys had a time trying to get a hold on those cars initially, and Donnie Allison's Torino won. This would be an exception and not the norm in '70, but at the beginning, those Torino's were quicker.

No sound, but if interested, here is some video of the Superbirds and Daytona's in '70 at Charlotte

1970 Plymouth Superbird Highlights National 500 - YouTube

This Week

WE won't see the falloff and transition like we do in the 600 on Memorial Day, it iwll be there, but not to the extent of a day to night transition either. This track is my favorite 1.5... probably because I'm biased since it's closest to me and I've been there twice. It's the first track that ever had this lay out, and a very historic track that your NASCAR Historian will always love... hopefully...

Hendrick Motorsports

Jeff Gordon hasn't been the greatest at Charlotte lately. I feel like he has lost a lot of momentum at Dover nad losing the engine at Kansas. He can still run great, and needs to win to get back in the chase. He's out for wins now, since he's realistically out. Not looking out for him this week.

Jimmie Johnson is generally better at Charlotte in this fall race. He won the year I went. He's good there in the chase nad good all over the chase. I'd look for him this week.

Mark Martin's crew chief just can't keep up with a car.... and Charlotte, even without the transition, will be pure luck if his car keeps up with the track.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. was coming at the end in the 600!! Look out for him... he's been putting together good (but not great) chase races. If he can put together a win at his home track, it would mean a lot emotionally going to his best track in Talladega and could put him in the championship run.

Roush Fenway Racing

The only real Roush driver I'm looking out for especially this week is Matt Kenseht. Charlotte is probably his best track. He ran great here in the spring, but just wasn't there at the right time.

Edwards won the All-Star race when he didn't have to follow the transitions of the track. However, Charlotte is one of the tracks he admits he is bad at in the chase. I remember a year at the 600 where he was like 3rd, but this traditionally isn't a good track for the guy, depsite how great he is on 1.5s . Maybe Kenseth can help him out. They just aren't good at keeping up with cars as the tires fall off. This track will determine his championship, me thinks.

Biffle nad Ragan... .meh

Childress Racing

Not a good track for any of these guys lately. Harvick won the thing on fuel mileage. He admitted it wasn't his favorite track. Not looking for naything out of the rest of this crowd... just look out for Mr. Where did he come from as always.

Stewart-Haas

Charlotte is a good track for Stewart, but I feel like he has lost his momentum after screwing up in Kansas and that bad run at Dover that he didn't recover from. I feel like his championship run is over and I just don't have mediocre confidence in him at Charlotte.

Joe Gibbs Racing

I don't have much confidence here either. Kyle Busch falls apart in the chase.. don't know that he has ever won a race in the last 10 races!!!! Not looking out for 'Yotas this week.

Penske Racing

What cna you say? These guys have picked it up in the chase. Don't really know what Keselowski has for this plcae just yet since he has really gotten better in the second half of hte year. I say they're some strong underdogs this week

Random Teams

Kasey Kahne's best track is probably Charlotte, nad he is riding some momentum from Charlotte!! I'll be watching out for him.

My Picks

VERY likely to change. Off the top of my head though, lets try....

1) Matt Kenseth
2) Jimmie Johnson
3) Kasey Kahne

VERY likely to change my 3rd pick... having a hard time figuring out who else I want to go with right now. I may go with anyone from Edwards, Earnhardt Jr, Kurt Busch, Brad Keselowski, or even Kevin Harvick... HARD to decide for me! But I do know I want the first 2!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my pick's
1) Kevin Harvick
2) Jimmie Johnson
3) Jeff Gordon

Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Gordon
Johnson
Keselowski

Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 PM

5 Year Member

I think I see some trends in the first people to post and who they pick....

Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Congrat's `Duane, Brent & Chris for your SuperPicks.
"Jeff Gordon Blows", is what I heard on the radio when I woke up from my reCharge(Z's) I got to listen to the last few laps of the race & will have to check the recap on NASCAR.

I hope those member's that got to watch the race ~> EnJoyed.
I'm still happy to be in the contest 4-Sure : )
Thanks Duane & member's for making it fun this year in Duane's MCF NASCAR Contest Threads : )
================================================== ======================
Below link 4 Cowboy `Duane, in case he didn't have it : )

http://www.cartype.com/pages/3538/me...clone_cj__1969

Last edited by Space; 10-10-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow - not even 8am on Monday and this thread is in full swing. Half the players heve made their picks. I ain't picking yet, but before last race I had decided I was going to pick Jimmie Johnson in every race until the end. He had his 2 bad races in the Chase - his bad luck is behind him.

Superbirds were cool cars to watch race! I wonder why they didn't use wings like that when they were inventing the "Car of Tommorow"

I sure would like to see Junior redeem himself here this race. He was consistently the fastest throughout the 600 and only lost positions on pit row taking extra gas once the car dropped off the jack. This almost worked - it would have without overtime. I don't recall seeing him passed on track once throughout the whole 600, except the horrible last lap of course...

Last edited by JuniorCar; 10-10-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM

5 Year Member

Junior was at the right place at the right time nad could have easily won that 600 I believe. Maybe he can pull it together for the 500. I think Jr. was slower in the first part of the race in the day time... once that sun set, Jr. was moving though.

The Cyclone is a neat link... car looks a bit bright to be Wimbledon white htough.... pretty cool link! Those raced at Charlotte too, you know

Pretty impressive signature you have going on these days Brent... hopefully I can add a few laurels to my own some day. I haven't won since Bristol.as far as points paying races go. I did win the All-Star opener at Charlotte in May... but it wasn't impressive since nearly everyone sat the race out and we had 4 participatns. I also won a Gatorade duel, in which we had 5 participants. Wayne, RocknSS04, has been in every race save one, yet hasn't won yet... I know he has to be itching for a win too!!!

The last few weeks have seen thetop 6 or so who have been in every race starting to win again. montecarlo3831 hadn't won in a while, nor had JuniorCar, KidSpace has turned up the wick on a lto of us here lately. 03JGmonte, nichosl2k, Teacher, those guys had been stealing our thunder!!! Maybe we're reclaiming this thing as the season winds down... I hope so, I want my name to be first when we add up the weekly standings again before season is out!!

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 10-10-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 PM

5 Year Member

Random thought of the week: Every year, there has been that one driver who had a really good chase, but wasn't in the the chase. Last year, Joey Logano closed the season strong leading many to believe his 3rd year would be a big one.. haven't seen much out of him this year. Jamie McMurray did good one year. This year, I think that driver is Kasey Kahen. He was good at Dover, good at Chicago, good at Kansas.... and he's going to one of his better tracks in Charlotte!! Just have to see... maybe that driver is Kahen this year.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM

5 Year Member

Also... quick thought, and I'd like a moderator to make a poll out of this quesiton. Should I even bother to write a rundown for Talladega? With the big packs, the two car drafts, all that stuff.... is a run down even worth the time to write it??

Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Also... quick thought, and I'd like a moderator to make a poll out of this quesiton. Should I even bother to write a rundown for Talladega? With the big packs, the two car drafts, all that stuff.... is a run down even worth the time to write it??

Yes `Duane, We think you should compose your rundown 4-Sure... Thank You!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only six races remaining and this Saturday is the only night race...I wish I was off work to watch `it (It's on broadcast TV "ABC": )
Below is from Nascar.com on the "Movers & Chasers

Movers and Chasers: Who's up, who's down at Kansas
Click above 2 view `vid.
Can anyone beat our MCF NASCAR Historian Cowboy `Duane ? You better Tune`Up your picks ~>
I don't think so ?
---------------------
EnJoy your Race of `Life & also NASCAR : )

Last edited by Space; 10-12-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Picks/Charlotte/SatNight