NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Bristol/Sun Afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Bristol/Sun Afternoon

Points, Intro, and Congratulatory Remarks

It was a big week for zjerry, who scored what was in the old points system a "max points day" by picking 1-2-3, although not in order. That 1-2-3 in order trick still belongs to 77GP for now. But zjerry still made a big points gain and got a lot of momentum going early in the season by winning at Las Vegas.

Jr car still holds the overall and segment points lead going into Bristol, where, by the way.

Defending Winner: Cowboy6622

This is the only points paying race of which I will be the defending winner of. I have the All-Star open in May coming up to defend though.

The overall points are looking like this.

1) JuniorCar 339 Leader
2) montecarlo3831 328 -11
3) butch049 325 -14
4) SupplySgt 319 -20
5) zJerry 315 -24
6) Cowboy6622 311 -28
7) carlm54stl 304 -35
8) 77GP 303 -36
9) RocknSS04 292 -47
10) 01 Monte SS 285 -54
11) lougreen03 284 -55
12) bblackstone 276 -65
13) 03JGMonte 256 -85
14) 02 Earnhardt 255 -86
15) Teacher 254 -87
16) Leprechaun93 245 -94
17) silverfish 211 -128
18) adgm2005 207 -132

17 people have been in all three races, and adgm2005 has been in the previous two. I love seeing all those participating members!!! And I am sure that Brent is proud to be the points leader in what is so far the most competitive set of races so far in MCF NASCAR Fantasy History.

This Weeks Race

Do take note of how Brad Keselowski won this race last season. I do believe the winner of this race is going to win it on Friday afternoon in qualifying. A top 10 or so qualifier will win this race. Despite it being so competitive with the banking, the cautions and pit stops are what is going to win the race. Qualifying is what sets pit selection. Brad Keselowski won by diving in the pit zone to pass a lot of cars. This race should have been won by Jeff Gordon last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w1q4d4f_7s

So pay attention to qualifying. I know I am!!!

Joe Gibbs Racing

For a long time, there was one name to know when it came to Bristol, and that was Kyle Busch. Kyle Busch was hte man here and a favorite to win last August. However, something happened to Kyle Busch that weekend. He wasn't practicing fast, and I even went back and edited him out of my picks after final practice that week. The big question is how strongly can Kyle Busch rebound? He has had two bad races and one good one this year. Busch is a very mentally driven momentum racer. Can he get his head in the game and dominate his best race track?

Joey Logano and Dennis Hamlet aren't really slouches when it comes to Bristol either though.

Roush-Fenway Racing

Greg Biffle has never been better than he is right now. He has three straight third place runs, and I ahve a feeling that is about to break. In the races Greg Biffle hasn't crashed at Bristol, which is about three times, he has been in the top 5- top 10 every time! Great Greg Biffle race track really. Even after the reconfiguration. Matt Kenseht is generally a good guy here too.

Carl Edwards is weird about this place. HE's won the night race twice, but he seems to just be good here at night. HE has run well here at day time, but he's always been overshadowed by Kyle Busch. Plus, everytime that 99 switches sponsors, it stops winning.

Hendrick Motorsports

This is a good race track for all the Hendrick guys. Junior runs well here and has won the night race, Gordon used to be king of this place, and Johnson has run well here in the past despite only having one win. I don't really know what to say about Kasey Khane. He has run well here, but not as consistnetly. I'd say Jr and Gordon are the two Hendrick guys to watch out for.

Richard Childress Racing

Clint Bowyer was a force to be reckoned with at this place, but he's not their guy anymore. I'd say Kevin Harvick is the only guy to worry about. He has run good here in the past, but not as great as some others. Yet Harvick is establsihing himself as a guy to keep an eye on anywhere you go. Burton is good at Bristol and on short tracks, but Burton is just snake bit. The guy is in the Bill Elliott/Dale Jarrett stage of his career where they try hard and nothign comes of it. Paul Menard is a wash

Penske Racing

If you were paying attention to stats, then Brad KEselowski's win was not a major surprise to you last August. Allmendinger was a 15th-20th place guy here on average. With Pensek equipment, a team that has always been steller at Bristol no matter who was driving, you'd have to think he will improve. Keselowski is a guy to watch here though because of his aggressive driving style which agrees with this tracks

Petty Motorsporst

They were scraping the barrel when they got Almirola. Ambrose might scratch a top 10 but it's unlikely.

Michael Waltrip Racing

This is the place where Bowyer uttered the now famous words about his new car owner....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVrXq_Iie4

Earnhardt Ganassi Racing

Jamie Mac is pretty good here, but his team just can't keep cars under him. The cars just can't handle how awesome he is.

Juan Montoya will probably cause a crash that takes out someone on this forums picks.

STewart Haas Racing

Look for another lack luster run out of Newman. Stewart has been flat out crap here for a while though. I do'nt really look for that to change if I am to be perfectly honest with you. I just don't think the physically demanding Bristol is good for a fat out of shape guy like Stewart, and I just don't think the track agrees with his driving style with the new banking to be honest. He had a 2nd place run in 2010, but not much else to really shout about.

My Picks

Not making any yet... and since you guys flip out about the blank numbers, Iwo'nt even make a format yet

I'll pick after some practice and qualifying on Friday. Hopefully this rundown gives you an idea of who I ahve my eyes on though.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 03-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I need that nonsense before i can pick

Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I need that nonsense before i can pick

I usually read the nonsense

Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 PM

See Duane, ppl do read it

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM

5 Year Member

I see that 77GP and the rest of you Sunday night stalkers haven't picked yet either. Oh well, guess I better get a run down up this evening.....

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Lol we need that rundown lol, but itll be interesting to see what becomes of Johnsons team tomorrow

Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I am a NIGHT STALKER
1. Jeff Gordon
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Tiny Stewart
For Now anyways.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM

I read it as well. One thing you may want to include in this week's rundown is that while the Roush cars may not run the fastest times in practice or qualifying, they pick up a ton of steam after the halfway point. I've noticed that in all three races this year. I have a feeling I'll be picking at least one Roush Ford in almost every race this season. I'll keep with my pattern of waiting till practices though (mainly to determine which Ford and then to figure out the other ones to pick).

Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 PM

5 Year Member

You know, the only Ford that really picks up steam is Carl Edwards. I was thinking just the exact opposite of Ford, unless they have something turned around this year.

Last year, Ford would be fast in practice, fast in qualifying, and at about the halfway-3/4ths point, that was it for them. Then you had a couple of Chevrolets and a Toyota or so contesting the win and the Ford scratching for a Top 10. It was weird like that.

Phoenix, theo nly Ford in real contention was Biffle. At Vegas, Kenseth and Biffle were strong all race long, but at the end, only Biffle was a contender.

The only race they have really closed the deal at was Daytona.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I read the nonsense..
My Picks
1) Jeff Gordon
2) Tony Stewart
3) Greg Biffle

Last edited by zjerry; 03-17-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Changed pick from Dale to Greg..

Quick Reply: Picks/Bristol/Sun Afternoon