NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Picks/Atlanta/SundayNight

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Picks/Atlanta/SundayNight

You get a few extra hours to choose this week due to this being Labor Day weekend.... and my birthday weekend!!! Thursday, September 1, I turn 22!!! Mayeb you guys can give me a happy birthday by letting me have another win?

Points, Introductory, Congratulatory Remarks, MCF NASCAR Fantasy Thoughts

This topic gets a longer title every week, doesn't it? I'd like to congratulate 03JGMonte on his second win in a row!!!!!

zJerry extended his lead in Segment 3, and KidSpace is moving up in the points overall!!!

1) Cowboy6622 2341 Leader
2) montecarlo3831 2305 -36
3) JuniorCar 2294 -47
4) KidSpace 2288 -52
5) 77GP 2266 - 75
6) zjerry 2261 -80
7) RocknSS04 2252 -89
8) lougreen03 2182 -159
9) BocaReject 1009
10) 03JGMonte 908
11) nichols2k 723
12) silverfish 689
13) Teacher 583
14) carlm54stl 374
15) LnLSS06 190
16) bblackstone 92
17) Nocturnx 85
18) jcoeracing 84
19) odessadude 73
20) dustybird3 34

Segment 3

1) zjerry 678 -Leader
2) KidSpace 637 -41
3) 03JGMonte 635 -43
4) Cowboy6622 597 -81
5) Teacher 583 -95
6) montecarlo3831 556 -122
7) lougreen03 550 -128
8) nichols2k 527 -151
9) RocknSS04 523 -155
10) JuniorCar 517 -161
11) 77GP 490 -188
12) silverfish 361
13) LnLSs06 190
14) bblackstone94
15) jcoeracing 84

It seems like we all come and go. Some of the regulars, like Chris (montecarlo3831), Brent (JuniorCar), and Jerry (77GP) have had some bad luck in Segment 3. I collapsed after taking the Segment 1 win and ahd a terrible segment 2, yet I've recovered in segment 3 to take the points lead. KidSpace and zJerry lackluster in the first 2 segments, yet they've come alive and are rising through the ranks in Segment 3! Who can keep thier momentum going at the right time? Could get interesting on this forum come Homestead....

There are a few of us hungry for wins!! My heart goes out to Wayne, RocknSS04, who hasn't won a race all year despite being in all of them. I haven't won since Bristol in March. I don't think Junior Car, Chris, or Jerry, 77GP have won since May. We're struggling here!!! And I personally think Atlanta is one of the greatest tracks we run... sure hate that it lost a date. I'd love to win this one!

Atlanta History

This track opened in 1960 and looked a lot like Homestead today.. it took on the "Charlotte" double dog leg look in the mid 90's. Didn't really effect the racing.

Two clips... this first clip, I think you guys may find how legendary annoucner Chris Economaki calls the opening of the race... he's sitting in a convertible behind the field and their car chases the field as the race opens...

1969 Atlanta 500 - YouTube

Plus, one of the most eventful races in NASCAR history.. . I believ eBrent went to this race in 1992? Or his family? I know he's mentioned the race where Petty retired, and Allison, Elliott, and Kulwicki battled for teh championship....

1992 Hooters 500 - INTRO, START, PETTY CRASH, ALLISON CRASH - YouTube

Atlanta Recently, Disclaimer on Recommendations

This track is slick, with a worn surface, and it tends to be hard to predict. Kurt Busch is the only really dominant driver... I remember Jeff Gordon saying one year that he thought he wuodl go a lap down and 50 laps later thinking he could win the race. Last year, Stewart had a dominant car... and Hamlin blew an engine. It's hard to say how this thing will go down really... but I'll do my best to analyze this thing.

Hendrick Motorsports

Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson are on top of their game right now... and they might be experimenting with this 1.5 miler. I think these two guys will be some solid picks going into Atlanta.

Mark Martin and Dale Jr. are long shots.. especially Martin. Martin etiher needs a spotter or a vision check, he's run over people at least 3 times this year. Dale Jr. could pull off a good run I believe, and it would be cool to watch him break a winless streak down south.

Childress Racing

I'm not really looking out for nay of htese guys this week. Kevin Harvick hasn't had much momentum going since about Daytona... don't know what happened here. Bowyer and Burton haven't shown much to impress me... Menard is in that million dollar thing, but I woudl be shocked if he got it.

Joe Gibbs Racing

Denny Hamlin did exactly waht he needed to do last week... I was not expecting him to run top 10 AT ALL!! I was amazed. Plus, Kyle Busch is good on the bigger tracks right now, winning Kentucky and Michigan. I think Kyle coudl be a great pick... Denny maybe a good pick depending on how he does in practice. Joey did good in Bristol, but he hasn't impressed me too much this year yet. He got hot at the end of last year, so lets see. I think Busch is the only guy I'll be picking from this pack this week.

Stewart Haas

Those guys ran badly at Bristol... lucky to get the poll. Stewart admitted they would be wasting a chase spot, so as far as I can tell, he's beaten himself this year. If there is a glimmer of hope for Stewart, it's Atlanta.. he's won ehre several times. However, this year, I consider him a long shot. He is the defending race winner too!

Roush Racing

Ragan and Biffle are off the map to me....

Kenseth and Edwards on the other hand are in heaven... they're both great drivers at this track, Roush is a 1.5 mile cookie cutter company, so this track is right up their alley. this is the perfect chance for this team to squeeze off another win before goign to Richmond, hwere this team isn't that hot. Look out for these guys this week!

Michael Waltrip Racing

Yeah, I'm giving David Reutimann a long shot... he's good at 1.5 mile tracks... at night. Yeah, weird, he ran good here last yea,r won Chicagoland... 1.5 milers at night! Still, Im' not picking him though.

Red Bull Racing

Kasey Kahne is good here... haven't seen much from him lately, but he might squeeze off a victory for a team that is struggling to stay on the map next year.

Petty Motorsports

Ambrose is good here, and running for a million bucks!!! The Petty cars are good on 1.5's, just like Roush. I wouldn't be too shocked to see a Petty car run good. allemendinger isn't too bad either, ya know...

Penske

Brad K. is on fire and is undeniable right now. He's running for a million bucks, he's on fire, he wants to be in the top 10 in points, and he's going for a win! Remember, he was runnign top 5 when Edwards put him in the fence here a couple years back....

Kurt Busch has a few wins here recently... at day time. I think the Double Deuce is one to watch out for this week.

Long Shots

Montoya ran good here for a while... not expecting it though, the team is just terrible this year. Jamie Mac is having a few decent runs, but I'm not expecting him to run top 10 at Altanta, but will throw it out there as a possiblity.. .just not expecting it. Martin Truex is running okay lately too... but he's not a consistent contender yet.

Good Picks/BAd Picks/ Long Shots

Good:
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Carl Edwards
Matt Kenseth
Kyle Busch
Brad Keselowski
Kurt Busch

Long Shots
Childress drivers
Tony Stewart
Denny Hamlin
Marcos Ambrose
Kasey Kahne

Bad:

people you expect to run bad

Enjoy Atlanta this upcoming Sunday night! I'll be making some picks after watching some practice adn qualifying. At this track, I don't think qualifying will be as important as Bristol. The practice session where the cars are in race trim will be something to watch out for though.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 08-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's my pick's
1) Jeff Gordon
2) Carl Edwards
3) Jimmie Johnson

Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im gonna go with

Gordon
Keselowski
Johnson

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Im gonna go with

Gordon
Keselowski
Johnson
You msut be one of those "If you find something that works, you stick with it" people.... worked in Bristol, stick with those three!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 PM

Well with the way keselowski is running it be hard not to pick him & these guys are running good lately so ima stick with em till they fail me lol

Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM

5 Year Member

Came across an interesting stat.... Kevin Harvick pickers beware (77GP...), he has not posted a Top 5 since June. Will that change in Atlanta, where he got his first win 10 years ago?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why Junior is a good pick:
- He has won there
- His second best track (Bristol is #1) for average finish (@12.5)
- In 23 starts at Atlanta he he only 2 DNF's
- Aside from the 2 DNF's, Junior has only once finished of the lead lap (1 lap down) since 2001 (career completion 99.4%)

I totally agree that Pony Stewart is defeating himself this year. He been totally negative. Back in NewHampshire the guy was in tears over finishing second.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Kyle Busch
Keselowski
Johnson

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

5 Year Member

For Bristol being his best track, Jr. only ran 16th there alst week... will give you the benefit of the doubt since it is the new surface now though.

However, that hot opener to the season has cooled down. I'd like to see Jr. run well, but I just don't think it is happening....

If anyone is interested by the way, this is my car in NASCAR 2011.

Compare to Pearson's '68 Torino!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Looks good, i havnt figured out how to get my number to show up on mine lol it always stays the car color lol

Quick Reply: Picks/Atlanta/SundayNight