NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR Working on Two Car Drafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NASCAR Working on Two Car Drafts

Size of radiators being reduced - Dec 15, 2011 - NASCAR.COM

In summary, the radiators are being downsized from 5 gallons to 2 gallons (2 gallons not being much larger than a street car), and they are moving the air intake on the cars to the bumper where thye line up.

Here is a thought... NASCAR has consistently (HAHAHAAAHAHAA) said that receiving assistance on the final lap is illegal. Isn't this two car draft stuff receiving assistance?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM

No different than a two rows of 6 cars side by side drafting like it was before as far as "assistance" goes. The old drafting was boring as crap till everyone started wrecking each other with 15 laps to go. Kevin Harvick and Jamie McMurray showed at Talladega in 2010 how much fun the 2 car draft can be to watch when Harvick passed McMurray at the very end after the two of them left everyone else in the dust.

Sounds to me like NASCAR likes the old drafting better.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

There gonna make it boring again it seems

Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM

5 Year Member

I initially liked 2 car drafting, I feel it is too political now. Ford actually pissed me off at Talladega when they told their guys not to push other makes, particularly Trevor Bayne. I thought the Bud SHoottout last year was one of the best races I had seen at the track in years. The 500 was good, but NASCAR spetn the whole week downsizing restricter plates. When they messed with ti this year at Talladega, they got the worst of pack racing and two car drafts, in my opinion. Turn the cars loose a little bit and let them run.

NASCAR fans love getting closer to their sport.... how would you like to og home with Juniors fender?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I dunno. That last Talledega race was a disaster IMO. Up until that I liked the "tandem drafting" more then the old draft lines. Then everyone really started to over think their race stratagies. I like Superspeedway races. I like the whole drafting thing - probably either way. I don't like guys racing 195 laps of a 200 lap race like those 195 are totally insignificant. Its cool to see a great "come from behind" victory but more then the last lap has to count, otherwise what is the point in watching the whole race?

But knowing Nascar, they will screw this up. I applaud them for trying!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM

The thing that kills me with the old-style drafting is you can take a nap, wake up, and with only a few exceptions it's basically the same running order unless someone wrecks. With the 2 car drafting you can make up a lot of ground if you get caught back in the pack, much like the non-restrictor plate races.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah it is way too political now & that was bs the whole ford deal

Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

But in that old style drafting everyone had to be on edge every second cause any given moment could have been the end for many. Those big wrecks were the best and you didn't wanna miss that! The lead was always jockeying - the lead being the safest spot in house. I miss watching that. Or the other. Dammit - I just miss racing right now...

Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM

it took more skill in the "pack" drafting in the two car drafting you dont control anything but pushin the car in front of you. in the pack its all up to you to make the correct decision if you dont make the correction decision the only person you have to blame is yourself.

The Two Car Draft is terrible, its boring to watch and no one driver can control his own fate.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM

5 Year Member

I think drivers cna control their fate better in 2 car drafting. The worry of being taken out in a large, multi car crash isn't there. Before, your fate was really based on yourself and 40 other people. Now, it is up to one other person more than a whole field.

The politics of it suck. Junior handed Jimmie a win in the spring, and then Jimmie stole their chances in the fall because he was scared of wrecking when he was in the title hunt. That sucked. Junior, as much as I am not a fan of him, should have been racing with someone who wanted to race. He should have found someone like Carl Edwards did in Greg Biffle, someone who didn't want to race in the first place.

And why was Ford upset if their car pushed a Chevrolet to the win? Think of the marketing... "Look at that, Chevrolets are fast when Ford's push them!!!" Trevor Bayne owed Jeff Gordon that push that Gordon never got.

I think Brent and I are on the same page with this.. I think we both liked two car drafting when it showed up in the last year or so, but are now starting to despise it. I, for one, propose several solutions.

1) The exhuast runs out of the side. In 1969, JuniorJohnson and his driver, LEe Roy Yarborough, figured out that if you ran the exhaust out of the back, it would overheat the car behind you when he tried to sling shot. Run the exhaust out of theb ack of the car, it will cook the guy behind you, and end the two car draft. But then exhaust runs under hte gas tank.

2) The front bumpers mate to the rear bumpers too well. Take the front bumper off an '84 Thunderbird.

3) Make hte tires more narrow. The cars grip the corners so well that they can run full throttle all the way around the track, making the two car draft very possible since both cars just have the throttle on the floor. Narrow the tires, take away the grip, so that braking and playing with the throttle become factors. You couldn't two car draft anymore.

4) At Daytona, run the Chicane on the back stretch, it would screw you up for turns 3 and 4, we just have to figure out what to do with 1 and 2...

5) The fans want it, most of the drivers want it, so lets do it: LARGER RESTRICTER PLATES!!! I don't call for the end of it, but lets open those plates up, get some more power and speed, it will make you more on edge, and less able to use the two car draft. Fans love speed, it's why Daytona was built, it's why we attend races there, it's why we watch Daytona. Give us more speed!!!!!

Basically, we need something done now. The EFI will give such better throttle response that the two car draft will probably become even easier to hook up and run than with the older carbureation systems that we have run for 60 years.

But before you bash two car drafting, watch some older racing. You'll see that two car drafts have existed for ages, just not in the bumping format that they do now. Petty/Pearson did this several times.

Quick Reply: NASCAR Working on Two Car Drafts