NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR + More: Monday 7.27.09 Updates

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up NASCAR + More: Monday 7.27.09 Updates

HI `Brent from EveryOne @ RompHer Room Congrat's J.J.
History: Brick by brick

Three-time Cup champion. Now back-to-back Brickyard winner. Jimmie Johnson took advantage of the leader's mistake, then a late caution and held off Mark Martin.

Indianapolis: Unofficial Results | Unofficial Standings | Shop: Johnson gear!
Indianapolis, Ind.
Sunny 65°
Forecast

Indy penalty leaves Montoya wondering

Speeding on pit road took Sunday's best car out of the running.
Montoya penalized

Trouble at Indy drops Busch out of top 12

Driver's new attitude put to test after falling 82 points out of Chase.
Busch slams wall

Race Rewind: All the Brickyard highlights

Unlike last year, no tire issues; just like last year, Johnson wins.
Hamlin gets 'shaft

Victory Lane: Back to place of familiarity

Johnson celebrates at the Brickyard for third time in past four years.
Race Reactions

Final Laps: Johnson holds off Martin

Makes winning pass from outside lane on final restart with 24 laps left.
Press Pass: Johnson

Press Pass: Martin on runner-up finish

Talks about trying to catch Superman, aka Jimmie Johnson.
Press Pass: Stewart

Lap-by-Lap: Allstate 400 at the Brickyard

Johnson makes pass on final restart to win at Indy for third time.
Sound Off: Logano

Junior's good run at Indy ends with DNF

Brings out final caution when motor problems knock him out.
Early first caution

MCF Member's: Post your thoughts/comments on yesterday's Race @ Indy....We miss our MCF Rac'in Reporter `Jamie Lynn : ) 4-Sure...

Last edited by Space; 07-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

THE BIG STORYJimmie Johnson became the first driver to win consecutive Allstate 400s at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Sunday. Johnson passed Hendrick Chevrolet teammate Mark Martin on a restart with 24 laps left and led the rest of the way for his third Indy victory. Martin was second, followed by Tony Stewart, Greg Biffle and Brian Vickers. No. 2 qualifier Juan Pablo Montoya dominated in the No. 42 Dodge, leading 116 of the 160 laps, but a pit-lane speeding penalty on his last stop dropped him to 12th on the restart. He finished 11th. Johnson earned $448,001 of the $9.5 million purse. Stewart is 192 points up on Johnson.
Ferrari Formula One driver Felipe Massa required surgery after a steel spring from Rubens Barrichello's car struck his helmet during Saturday qualifying in Hungary. Massa's injuries included a fractured skull and concussion. Massa was in intensive care and in an induced coma as of Sunday night.
Also: Rick Ren, crew chief on Ron Hornaday Jr.'s No. 33 Chevrolet, was fined $5,000 and put on probation for an axle housing mounting points violation at Kentucky… Greg Hodnett won the World of Outlaws' feature Friday night at Williams Grove Speedway… John Edwards won both ends of the Atlantic Series doubleheader at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, Ill… Henry Surtees, son of former Formula One champion John Surtees, died of head injuries in a Formula Two race at Brands Hatch, England. He was struck in the head by a tire from another car.
Return to Top
NASCAR Sprint Cup SeriesMark Martin took the Brickyard pole with a 182.054 mph lap. Sunday, Robby Gordon caused a yellow with a spin on the first lap. Juan Pablo Montoya passed Martin for the lead on lap five. Denny Hamlin went to the garage with a broken driveshaft on lap 33. Kyle Busch hit the wall on lap 58 when a right-front tire went flat and fell out of the top 12 in points. Sam Hornish Jr. went to the garage for repairs after hitting the wall. With 35 laps remaining, Montoya pitted under green. NASCAR said he was too fast exiting and Montoya had to do a drive-thru penalty. With 33 laps left, Dale Earnhardt Jr. - running in the top 10 - blew an engine. Martin chose the inside line for the double-file restart. Jimmie Johnson started next to Martin and cleared him for the lead coming off turn two. Johnson averaged 145.882 mph with three cautions for 14 of the 160 laps. His margin of victory was .400 second. Reed Sorenson started ninth and finished 13th in the No. 43 Valvoline Dodge.
Return to Top
NASCAR Nationwide SeriesCarl Edwards missed qualifying for Saturday night's Kroger 200 at O'Reilly Raceway Park due to Allstate 400 qualifying and started 42d. But he took the lead for good on lap 179 of 200 and won by .676 second over Kyle Busch, who also took the green flag near the back. Trevor Bayne, 18, won the pole and led the opening 34 laps before Steve Wallace hit him when they rapidly closed on the pace car seconds after a caution. Bayne finished seventh. Scott Wimmer led and then Edwards' Ford got the lead on lap 121. He lost it to Busch's Toyota after a yellow on lap 170. He regained the spot nine laps later. Matt Kenseth was third in a Ford. Edwards averaged 83.138 mph with six yellows for 34 laps. Busch is 192 points in front of Edwards.
Return to Top
NASCAR Camping World Truck SeriesRon Hornaday Jr. became the first driver in series history to win four consecutive races with his victory in Friday night's AAA Insurance 200 at O'Reilly Raceway Park. Hornaday's Chevrolet first took the lead from Mike Skinner on lap 62. Later, after pit stops, he got by Todd Bodine on lap 169. A late caution set up a 10-lap sprint to the checkered flag, with Hornaday holding off Skinner's Toyota by .202 second. Aric Almirola was third in a Toyota. Hornaday averaged 85.115 mph with five yellows for 27 of the 200 laps. He tops Skinner by 174 points.
Return to Top
NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing SeriesSunday's Fram Autolite Nationals at Sears Point wrapped with Antron Brown sweeping the Western Swing (Denver, Seattle, Infineon) and Tim Wilkerson, Jason Line and Andrew Hines the other pro class winners. In Top Fuel, Brown ran 3.990 seconds, 299.06 mph to best Cory McClenathan's 4.002, 290.82 mph. Brown leads Tony Schumacher by 199 points. In Funny Car, Wilkerson's Ford Mustang clocked 4.249, 284.45 mph vs. Tony Pedregon's 4.322, 259.81 mph in a Chevrolet Impala. It was a Seattle finals rematch. Jack Beckman qualified sixth in the Valvoline/MTS Dodge Charger and lost in round one. Pedregon is 11 points clear of Ron Capps. In Pro Stock, Line's Pontiac GXP beat teammate Greg Anderson on a holeshot, 6.639, 208.33 mph to 6.632, 208.71 mph. Ron Krisher qualified fourth in the Valvoline Chevrolet Cobalt and lost in the first round. Jeg Coughlin Jr. tops Mike Edwards by 60 points. In Pro Stock Motorcycle, in an all Vance & Hines Harley final, Hines went 6.972, 189.82 mph to Eddie Krawiec's 7.014, 187.23 mph. Krawiec is 70 points clear of Hines.
Return to Top
IndyCar SeriesPenske part-timer Will Power dominated Sunday's Rexall Indy in Edmonton, Canada. Power started on the pole and cruised in the lead most of the 95 laps. He beat Helio Castroneves under a caution-flag finish. He averaged 109.497 mph with one yellow for two laps. Scott Dixon was third. Dixon is three points ahead of Dario Franchitti (fifth).
Return to Top
Formula OneWorld champion Lewis Hamilton won his first race of the season in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix in Budapest. His McLaren-Mercedes was trailing poleman Fernando Alonso's Renault but Alonso's right-front tire came off. Hamilton finished 11.5 seconds ahead of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen, with Mark Webber third in a Red Bull-Renault. Jenson Button (seventh) leads Webber by 18.5 points.
Return to Top
Racer of the WeekAntron Brown. Eighth driver in NHRA history to sweep the Western Swing.
Return to Top
Yes, He REALLY Said ThatJeff Gordon, on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "There is no other track like this, and it has four unique corners. Actually, I think it has eight unique corners. The entry into each of the four corners is different, and I look at the exit of each as a different corner, as well."
Return to Top
Valvoline Winners Last WeekendCarl Edwards, NASCAR Nationwide Series, Indy. Tim Wilkerson, NHRA Funny Car class, Sears Point.
Return to Top
This WeekendSprint Cup returns to Pocono Sunday. Nationwide cars are at Iowa Saturday. The Trucks try Nashville Saturday. IRL is at Kentucky.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

wow, where is the love for nascar! i mean geeez, yeah i'm a redneck but only lookers and no takers to post!! i remember someone at work saying if you quit going to company picnics and holiday parties offered by the company that they will take it away!! c'mon nascar fans post a response or the "the kid from space" may quit with the updates!! there are always new members on here and i know your mostly young but this isn't good for nascar and the MCF!

"EXTRA! EXTRA! read all about it" THE MCF will no longer post nascar updates unless we get more responders! post something or it will be gone? hmmm, wait do we need to put out a search and destroy mission for our current MIA resident NASCAR guru jamie lynn aka CHEVYSSGIRL?? she is probably out having fun somewhere taking care of some easy job she is on! only kidding, she has a fantastic job at a racing school, but for her it is mostly work and no play when she is on the road! but she does travel in some wonderful trucks and luxury vehicles with working air conditioning? hauling a trailer which usually amounts into a couple of wrecked cars when the weekend is over! sorry jamie lynn to glorify how easy and laid back your job is?? but i wouldn't trade jobs with you anytime soon! get back soon, we nascar knuckleheads miss you! be safe, take care MCF

POST SOMETHING or we may all change over to the the ferd/honda thing!!!! oh no, i did not say that out loud? i'm done rambling, see ya

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 07-27-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Default Race BRICKYARD : )

Brickyard breakdown for Montoya

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Jul 26, 7:48 pm EDT

Related Video
Final Laps Final Laps

Montoya: 'It kinda sucks' Press Pass: Jimmie Johnson
More NASCAR Videos

More From Dan Wetzel

INDIANAPOLIS – There was no police officer to flirt with, no traffic court to appeal to, no way out of what was essentially a $224,000 speeding ticket. So Juan Pablo Montoya, frustration boiling over at committing an all-timer of a racing gaffe, vented by going nuts over his team’s radio.
With an indomitable car and a huge lead in the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, Montoya got nabbed for speeding on pit road by a meager .11 mph – this in a car that can go 200. He was penalized by NASCAR so late in the race that a near certain victory Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was gone.
Jimmie Johnson won the race and the $448,001 winner’s purse. Montoya finished 11th and took home $224,048. He didn’t wait for the race to be over before blasting NASCAR for what he immediately felt was an inaccurate assessment of his speed, even though it was determined by electronic sensors.
“If they do this to me, I’m going to kill them,” he barked into his radio when informed of his penalty, the “they” meaning NASCAR officials. “I swear on my children and my wife I wasn’t speeding.
“I hope [NASCAR president] Mike Helton is listening to this, because you’d better double check what you did, because I got robbed. I’ve been robbed before and screwed before, but they overdid themselves this week.”

And with that, Montoya was just warming up.
“Why would I speed if I had a 5-second lead?” he argued to no one as he continued to circle IMS in futility, unable to speed back to the front of the pack.
Gone was his shot of becoming the first driver ever to win both the Indianapolis 500, which he won in 2000, and the Brickyard 400.
“I want to park the car right now,” he said to his crew. “Let’s just park the car right now and go home.”
When told by crew chief Brian Pattie to concentrate on driving, Montoya shouted, “Don’t tell me to relax, dude! We had this in the bag.”
He then went back to ripping NASCAR.
“[Chairman] Brian France tells us we need to race hard. … And look what they did.”
The stock car circuit shrugged off the criticism, saying the sensors don’t lie. Helton declined comment.
“I would’ve been pissed too,” NASCAR competition director John Darby said.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, Montoya’s wife, Connie, was blasting NASCAR for a “bs call” and compared it to Juan Pablo’s days in Formula 1, which is famous for questionable decisions and penalties.
Montoya eventually cooled off, a little, after the race. He expressed a mood of resignation.
“I was cruise[ing],” he said. “I was super fast.”
He later tweeted that he “had a rough day to say the least” and “[I] don’t wanna say much of what happened, we just have to move on.”
Pattie said there would be no appeal, even though NASCAR had made a mistaken speeding call on Montoya at a race earlier this year.
“It’s electronic; they did their job,” Pattie said. “It’s not the days of the old handheld, so we’re fine.”
Drivers are allowed to go 55 mph on Indy’s pit road but are given a 5 mph cushion, essentially making the speed limit 60 mph. In the second of eight timed segments on pit road, Montoya was caught going 60.06 mph. In the fourth segment he went 60.11.
“The reason we do that electronically is so human hands don’t touch it,” Darby said. “It’s a simple transponder passing the line; it records the time and computes the miles per hour.”

There have been 74 pit road speeding penalties this year, although none as costly as this one.
For all Montoya’s bluster – he might want to explain that children and wife line to his children and his wife – he has no one to blame but himself. He had crushed the competition here all day, leading 116 laps until he screwed up in his final pit just 35 laps from the finish line. For long stretches he held a lead of more than 5 seconds, a runaway by NASCAR standards.
With such a machine and one of racing’s most prestigious events within reach, he never should have pushed the pit road speed limit so close. This was a time to play it safe.
Going too fast was about the only way for him to lose the race.
“I didn’t run around him all day long,” Johnson said when asked if he thought he could’ve caught Montoya without the penalty. Not that it mattered what Johnson thought.
“I do know I have the trophy.”
It’ll be a bitter thing for Montoya to hear. The former star on various open-wheel circuits, he’s made a long, slow development in stock car racing. His first NASCAR victory on an oval, in a signature race no less, would’ve served as the Colombian’s coming out party.
Instead, he’ll have to live down blowing the Brickyard, which is why he had screamed into his radio, wailed about a conspiracy and spouted off about killing someone. It was a wild rant even by racing standards.
He’d been nabbed over the speed limit by the slimmest of margins and wound up with perhaps the most ill-timed and costly citation ever – the loss of both big money and a big trophy.

Sponsored Links

Allstate 400 at The Brickyard

Video Spotlight

More Videos »

Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I still think Nascar was letting Peblo run an illegal car and wanted him to win. It makes enough sense. If you were trying to fix a race, you'd want as few of people in on it as possible. You can't just run around telling everybody "Anything goes with Peblo - let him win!" Nascar fixed it by ensure his illegal car passed tech, but didn't anticipate Peblo pit row stupidity. When he speeds all sorts of radio communications take place that Nascar can not ignore without blatant favortism.
Honestly, when does an EGR run away like that? Truex sure didn't enjoy any of that power

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 AM

...Hi `Brent, I don't know `if it was fixed or not, but your have some valid points that it could've happend WoW, alls I know it all comes down to $ Dollars $, and from my 21 years on this planet I am learning that `Money can Corrupt I hope it's not `True, but nothing would surprise me.
We shall be watch'in closely "Wand PaLow MaToe Ya" : )