NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR Dead ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NASCAR Dead ? ?

[align=center]If automakers get a bailout, should NASCAR die?
by Jonathon Ramsey on Dec 2008

A columnist over at Slate.com is recommending and not lightly, he wants you to know that with the domestic automakers enduring "Detroit's version of The Troubles," now would be a good time to "euthanize" NASCAR. He makes a long argument, but the crux of it is simple: if the domestics get a heap of money from the government, should that money really be used to sponsor a specialized race series that arguably doesn't have the national pull or the return it once did? His supporting arguments are sometimes disingenuous and occasionally slightly off-base, but the question is worth considering. If the public loans money to the automakers, who decides where that money is spent? Yet, if Ford, GM, and Chrysler were to do the same thing to NASCAR that Honda, Suzuki, Audi, and Subaru have been doing, well... that would leave NASCAR as a one-make series featuring, ta-da, Toyota. And wouldn't that be something to see? Thanks for the tip, Josh! WizKidd (Where R U ? : )[/align][align=center]

[Source: Slate][/align]

Tags: auto bailout, AutoBailout, chrysler, commentary, ford, gm, nascar, toyota

Members, what do you think on above found on AOL
[align=center][/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/41740A0BB1B74881AF119DD36AE607AA.jpg[/IMG]
[/align]

Old 12-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Default RE: NASCAR Dead ? ?

I dont see why NASCAR should die because of the bailout. I understand thatthe big 3do pour alot of money into it, but idk. NASCAR sux anyways. Mybe if they used something that resembled real cars it would be cool. And then maybe the auto companies will get some sales from fans watching the cars that race and win, like inthe past. Why cant they do somehting like the SCCA or some other racing that drives highly modified race versions of the actual stock cars, instead of bloated bread-boxes with 4 wheels, that all look exactly the same?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 AM

Hi `Jeff,
I would love to see the newCamaro`s/Mustang`s/Challengers/300Z`s/G8`s/
V8 Solara`s/etc. [8D]
Street Modified Editions : ) I think would be great racing.
I am not happy with the present NASCAR, but I still admire the talent
of the drivers. They 2 may have 2 take a pay `cut.
I am always amazed @ the money they receive.
Thanks 4 your post/input.
I`ve noticed a lack of interest for NASCAR on the MCF.
I still enjoy local track stock car racing over NASCAR...It`s more real 4-Sure.
Happy Holidays to you, and all members reading this.
[:-]

Old 12-21-2008, 06:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

We are HUGE NASCAR fans, and all ready have purchased our tickets for the Father's day race at MIS, including the truck race on Saturday. We have tickets to the hospitality tent on Sunday, to meet up with one of the Cup drivers this year. Not sure which one yet.

This bail-out thing HAS to put a damper on NASCAR in its current form. I really DO feel NASCAR has got out of touch with the current cars, and is moving away from the "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" times. I wish they would go to PURE STOCK sheet metal and factory engines and suspensions, and beef from there. If you can't buy it from a dealer, it shouldn't be on the track. Forget these speciallized motors they ALL run! I feel safety HAS to be an issue, but it has overtaken the industry, as the "cookie cutter cars" just plain SUCK!

Cale Yarborough is/was my main man! Those guys, Richard Petty, and the such, ran REAL cars. Bring back the big blocks! Run what you brung! LS7's? Dodge V-10s? If you can get it from the factory, as an option, 500 made minimum, like it used to be, PUT IT ON THE TRACK AND RUN THE CRAP OUTOF IT!

So what kind of cars would be out there now if that was the case? GM has, uh, ........, a big Caddy? How about the Australian G8?
Ford could run the Marauder? Dodge the Charger? Honda (YES HONDA!) ???, Toyota???? How about a Mercedes? Guess if they want to run FWD, that's OK too, BUT YOU'RE GONNA LOSE!

I firmly believe NASCAR is SO far out of touch with what the manufacturers NEED from NASCAR, that there is probably no hope for the manufacurers, especially GM, in this coming year. I do NOT believe the new "car czar" will allow GM to fork over a billion or so to NASCAR teams. So what does that leave? Ford and Toyota sitting on top of the heap right now. Now is the time for Honda to step in, IF they are going to, along with any other manufacurers, while GM and Dodge are in a hole. NASCAR is in trouble, also. The races are not selling out like they used to. Prices are too high. AND the "cookie cutter" cars have lost their personalities. NASCAR needs a TOTAL revamping of what they are about. Get back to their roots. No good answers, but the possibilities are endless, and NASCAR will NOT go away! It's like any of the OTHER prfessional sports, it's just gotten too big.