NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR 9-30-08 : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NASCAR 9-30-08 : )

[align=center]Update on last post below~>9-30-08 Tuesday[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]PreRace @ Kansas 1PM EST on ABC[/align][align=center]Race @ 2PM est on ABC[/align][align=center]EnJoy[/align][align=center]Pick/Post your Top 3
Sep 26 2008 [/align][align=center][/align]
Heartland Of America Home To Two Of The Chase’s Top Performers
Kansas is often referred to as “the heartland of America” and two of NASCAR’s top Chase drivers call this region of the country home.

Carl Edwards
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Carl Edwards, who is the Chase points leader for the second consecutive week, is from nearby Columbia, Mo., and considers Kansas Speedway his home track. Edwards has one victory at Kansas – in the 2004 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event. Edwards finished 37th a year ago at Kansas and has one top five and two top 10s in his four NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts there.
Clint Bowyer (No. 07 Jack Daniel’s Chevrolet) is a product of Emporia, Kan., and is currently sixth in points. Bowyer gained three spots in the points standings following his eighth-place finish last week at Dover. Bowyer leads the NASCAR Nationwide Series by 186 points over Edwards, the series’ 2007 champion. Those two will battle for home track pride this weekend at Kansas, beginning with the NASCAR Nationwide Series event on Saturday and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on Sunday.

Clint Bowyer
“It’s always fun to go back to Kansas,” said Bowyer. “It’s an important race track for me. You always want to go back and run well in front of the hometown crowd. Knowing that we’ve run well there in the past gives us a lot of confidence going into this weekend.”

Sep 25 2008
Will Greg Biffle win the Sprint Cup?Posted by: Kerry Murphey in News
[align=center][/align]
Biffle Makes History By Winning First Two Chase Races

Greg Biffle
Greg Biffle (No. 16 3M/Sherwin Williams Ford) has become the first driver to win the first two races in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, and in the process, has established himself as a top contender for the 2008 series championship.
Biffle, who entered the Chase as the No. 9 seed and winless over his last 33 races, won in dramatic fashion at Dover International Speedway last Sunday, passing teammate Matt Kenseth (No. 17 DEWALT Ford) with eight laps remaining to claim his 14th career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victory. He’s currently third in the point standings, trailing only Carl Edwards (No. 99 Office Depot Ford) and Jimmie Johnson (No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet).
Biffle looks to continue his surge of momentum this weekend at Kansas Speedway, a track where he drove to Victory Lane in 2007.
“We’ve worked extremely hard to get our cars and our team where they need to be,” said Biffle. “I guess if you want to use the term ‘peak at the right time,’ you could. I feel we have worked hard all season and now our hard work is starting to show up. I feel a lot better about this championship run than I did in 2005.”

Read the rest of this entry »
[align=center][/align]
Border Battle Between Standings Leaders

Call it Round 2 for Midwest rivals Clint Bowyer and Carl Edwards. Points leader Bowyer – from Emporia, Kansas – and second place and reigning NASCAR Nationwide champion Edwards – from Columbia, Missouri – will race for both hometown pride and precious points this weekend. Edwards won the first battle, at Gateway International Raceway (just outside St. Louis), earlier this season.
Bowyer looks to get even at his home track, and increase the 186 point lead he holds over Edwards. Neither has won at Kansas in the series.

Sep 25 2008
Cup Series Points Shake-upPosted by: Kerry Murphey in News
[align=center][/align]
Chase Shake-up Continues – Big-Time

Two weeks down, eight to go in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup and at this point, unpredictability is the byword, starting at the top. Carl Edwards has the lead but Jimmie Johnson and Greg Biffle lurk closely, both only 10 points behind.
Going into Kansas, here are some angles to watch:
• Greg Biffle has won the first two Chase races. And now, he returns to Kansas as defending race champion. Biffle is trying to join two-time defending series champion Jimmie Johnson as the only driver to win three consecutive Chase races. He leads the series in pre-race Driver Rating at Kansas with a 118.5 over the last three races there.
• Johnson, meanwhile, is trying to join Cale Yarborough as the only drivers to win the NASCAR Sprint Cup title three consecutive years. Yarborough did so in 1976-78.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 AM
Default RE: NASCAR 9-27-08

Montoya Disqualified after Kansas Pole
Posted by: Kerry Murphey in News

On Friday from Kansas Speedway, Juan Pablo Montoya sat on his first career pole in his #42 machine. An hour later he was disqualified because the nitrogen gas pressure in the rear shocks exceeded the 75 psi allowed under NASCAR rules. This hands the pole over to the two time champion Jimmie Johnson giving him his 18th career pole position.
1 48 Jimmie Johnson
2 8 Mark Martin
3 17 Matt Kenseth
4 19 Elliott Sadler
5 1 Martin Truex Jr.
6 15 Paul Menard
7 21 Bill Elliott
8 9 Kasey Kahne
9 83 Brian Vickers
10 5 Casey Mears
11 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
12 6 David Ragan
13 24 Jeff Gordon
14 84 AJ Allmendinger
15 12 Ryan Newman
16 26 Jamie McMurray
17 41 Reed Sorenson
18 16 Greg Biffle
19 10 Patrick Carpentier
20 47 Marcos Ambrose

21 43 Bobby Labonte
22 45 Kyle Petty
23 77 Sam Hornish Jr.
24 07 Clint Bowyer
25 70 Tony Raines
26 22 Dave Blaney
27 18 Kyle Busch
28 96 Joey Logano
29 55 Michael Waltrip
30 11 Denny Hamlin
31 2 Kurt Busch
32 38 David Gilliland
33 28 Travis Kvapil
34 99 Carl Edwards
35 01 Regan Smith
36 29 Kevin Harvick
37 31 Jeff Burton
38 66 Scott Riggs
39 7 Robby Gordon
40 44 David Reutimann
41 20 Tony Stewart
42 42 Juan Pablo Montoya
43 78 Joe Nemechek

The time of Juan Pablo Montoya (No. 42) was disallowed following post-qualifying inspection
[:-]
Track Stats
KANSAS SPEEDWAY[/b]Distance: 1.5-mile trioval Banking/Turns 1-4: 15 º Banking/Frontstretch:10.4 º Banking/Backstretch:5 º Miles/laps: 400 miles, 267 laps [/align]

Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 AM

Race Recap: Denny Hamlin wins at KansasPosted by: Kerry Murphey in News

Congrat`s Denny from the MCF
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Denny Hamlin held off NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Clint Bowyer to win Saturday’s Kansas Lottery 300 at Kansas Speedway, but Bowyer extended his margin in the standings over his two closest pursuers.
Hamlin led every lap of a 36-lap green-flag run to finish the race and crossed the finish line 1.407 seconds ahead of Bowyer. Hamlin claimed his fourth Nationwide victory of the season and the ninth of his career, as Toyota locked up the manufacturers’ championship in its second year in the series.
David Ragan finished third, followed by Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth and Brad Keselowski. With five races left on the schedule, Bowyer leads second-place Edwards by 196 points and third-place Keselowski by 268.

SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Race Recap: Denny Hamlin wins at Kansas", url: "http://finallapradio.com/2008/09/27/race-recap-denny-hamlin-wins-at-kansas/" });
[/align]

Tony Stewart Statement on the passing of Paul NewmanPosted by: Kerry Murphey in News[/align]

“Paul Newman was a phenomenal individual who made a profound impact throughout his life. His acting skills are well-known, but equally impressive was his desire to give back and help those who just didn’t get the same shake out of life that we did.
“I got to know him through our time helping build Victory Junction Gang Camp and during my handful of races in the Rolex 24 Hours At Daytona. We connected as racers, but Paul’s ideas of what we should do for charity is what really resonated with me the most.
“He set the bar, not only with his giving, but in how he gave. Whether it was through his own line of food products – Newman’s Own – or his work in helping create the Hole in the Wall Camps, Paul did it right, and he did it with class. He’ll be terribly missed.”

SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Tony Stewart Statement on the passing of Paul Newman", url: "http://finallapradio.com/2008/09/27/tony-stewart-statement-on-the-passing-of-paul-newman/" });
ShareThis[/align][/align]

Can Kyle Busch dig out of this huge hole?Posted by: Kerry Murphey in News[/align]

Uphill Climb For Kyle Busch – Kyle Busch (No. 18 M&M’s Toyota), who entered the Chase as the No. 1 seed, has posted finishes of 34th and 43rd in the first two Chase races and finds himself 210 points out of the lead. While formidable, it certainly is not an insurmountable obstacle. Four times since the Chase began in 2004, a driver has seen a gain of more than 100 points in a single race – the largest being a 148-point swing by Jimmie Johnson at Atlanta in 2004. Johnson’s rally from 165 points down with seven races remaining in 2006 is the largest deficit an eventual champion has made up in the Chase.
Busch has already experienced a larger swing in the points than he currently faces this season. Entering Talladega earlier this year, Busch trailed then points leader Jeff Burton by 80 points. By the time the circuit had completed the race at Dover – just five races later – Busch led the standings by 142 points. That amounted to a swing of 222 points. In other words, don’t count Kyle out just yet.[/align][/align]

Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Space Picks
1. Martin Truex Jr.
2. J.J.
3. Denny Hamlin
*Mark Martin longshot with Carl Edwards ?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Wow Space you were up early. Thanks for all the updates, hope you were able to watch the race OMG so exciting! Can't wait for Talladega! :P

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: krystalmethod

Wow Space you were up early. Thanks for all the updates, hope you were able to watch the race OMG so exciting! Can't wait for Talladega! :P
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi Shannon,[/align][align=center]No, I work 7 nights a week on the swing shift.[/align][align=center]I was still up when I made this thread.[/align][align=center]Happy to see that someone on the MCF is still into NASCAR.[/align][align=center]I watched the begining of the Race : ) fell asleep : ( and[/align][align=center]the BeachBums woke me `up for the last 50 laps : )
WoW, it was a great finish 4-Sure.
[/align][align=center]Maybe Dale Jr will get another win at Talladega : )[/align][align=center]Thanks 4 your post : ) `Space[/align]

Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Race Recap: Jimmie Wins Battle with EdwardsPosted by: Kerry Murphey in News

NSCS Recap: Johnson holds off Edwards’ charge to take Chase lead

Jimmie Johnson, driver of the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet, celebrates his first win at Kansas Speedway (his fifth of the season) in Victory Lane for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Camping World RV 400.
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — It was probably one of the most spectacular finishes in NASCAR history.

Carl Edwards made a suicide run into the third turn underneath race leader Jimmie Johnson. He was determined to win.
Unfortunately, Edwards ran out of track before running into the wall, struggled to maintain control and watched Johnson go back by him for the victory at Kansas Speedway.
A sellout crowd stood, cheering the last-lap, do-or-die antics of the hard-driving Edwards, even though his banzai run tactics didn’t work.
SEE THE VIDEO OF THE BATTLE

Read the rest of this entry »[/align]

Sep 28 2008 [/align][/align][/align]Click below link for awesome vid : )[/align]Video: Jimmie Johnson Battles Carl Edwards at Kansas
Posted by: Kerry Murphey in News[/align]
Jimmie Johnson and Carl Edwards had yet another late race battle for the win at Kansas in [/align][/align]

Sep 28 2008 [/align][/align]
Jimmie Johnson holds off Carl Edwards for Kansas WinPosted by: Kerry Murphey in News[/align]
RACE RECAP | KANSAS
Camping World RV 400

Race #3 in the Chase
10 Elliott Sadler
9 AJ Allmendinger great for his resume
8 David Ragan
7 Jeff Burton
6 Kevin Harvick
5 Matt Kenseth recovered from a spin
4 Jeff Gordon
3 Greg Biffle
2 Carl Edwards bounced off the wall in turn 4 coming to the line

VICTORY LANE
1 After leading the most laps, Jimmie Johnson took home his 5th win of the season and the points lead by 10
OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
-Tony Stewart veered into the 83 of Brian Vickers sending the 20 mowing the infield grass and a 40th place finish
-Kyle Busch had engine problems and limped home in 28th putting him 311 points back of the leader and pretty much out of title hopes.[/align][/align][/align]

Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

we can't say Carl Edwards didn't try for this one, WOW what a finish

Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

we can't say Carl Edwards didnt try for this one, WOW what a finish
I agree 100% that Carl Edwards went 4 the Gold : )
He is a amazing/talented driver, & adds alot to NASCAR.
If he does not win the Championship this year, I am sure that he will
in his future racing career.
I wish he was driving a Chevy, but I think he could win with any
set up race car. I have read his bio, and was impressed, and that he
has really given `up to get to where he is today.
He is a lucky young man to be able to make big $`s doing something
that he loves 2 `do. That`s happiness 4-Sure.
`Space

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 AM

Q&A with Dale Earnhardt Jr.Posted by: Kerry Murphey in News

Q: Dale, very big weekend coming up. A lot going on and off the racetrack. Tell us about that to open up.

DALE EARNHARDT JR.: This has been a good track for us. Always run good there. Got a lot of fans there. We’re going to have a special paint scheme with all the fans that signed into the promotional deal with Amp. All their names will be on the car, about 70,000 names. We’re pretty excited about that.
I don’t know, it’s just a good track. Look forward to it. It’s always a lot of fun. It’s a real easy weekend. It’s more of a mental race than a physical race. It’s not really who has the best car; it’s the guy who makes the best moves and makes the right decisions there at the end of the race.
Q. This is a track where it seems like anybody can win. During the Chase, you don’t see many non-Chase guys win. Can you imagine what it’s like for a non-Chase guy to win a race this time of year?
DALE EARNHARDT JR.: Yeah, I mean, it’s just like any other race, I guess, during the season, a win’s a win. They’re fun to celebrate. That’s really what you show up for, is to be able to go to Victory Lane, get that feeling, celebrate with your team.
I think if you haven’t made the Chase, that’s sure vindication I guess for the season and beyond. Gives you a lot of momentum going into the off-season, too, if you can get a win.

[hr]

SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Q&A with Dale Earnhardt Jr.", url: "http://finallapradio.com/2008/09/29/questions-answers-with-dale-earnhardt-jr/" });
[/align]
Posted by: Kerry Murphey in News[/align]
NSCS Recap: Johnson holds off Edwards’ charge to take Chase lead

Jimmie Johnson, driver of the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet, celebrates his first win at Kansas Speedway (his fifth of the season) in Victory Lane for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Camping World RV 400.
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — It was probably one of the most spectacular finishes in NASCAR history.4-Sure : )

Carl Edwards made a suicide run WoW,into the third turn underneath race leader Jimmie Johnson. He was determined to win.
Unfortunately, Edwards ran out of track before running into the wall, struggled to maintain control and watched Johnson go back by him for the victory at Kansas Speedway.
A sellout crowd stood, cheering the last-lap, do-or-die antics of the hard-driving Edwards, even though his banzai run tactics didn’t work.
SEE THE VIDEO OF THE BATTLE[/align][/align]

Quick Reply: NASCAR 9-30-08 : )