NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

NASCAR: 05/23/09 ~> Updates

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up NASCAR: 05/23/09 ~> Updates

Last year at LMS, Kyle Busch won the race but Brad Keselowski won respect. Late in the event, Denny Hamlin felt Keselowski didn’t give him enough room and bumped him to show his displeasure. Keselowski and his JR Motorsports team took exception, especially owner Dale Earnhardt Jr., who gave Hamlin a bump of his own. The on-track incidents led to fisticuffs between their crews on pit road after the race.
One of the season’s memorable quotes came from the tense post-race press conference with Keselowski and Hamlin at the podium: “I race one day a week, not two,” Keselowski said. “I have 200 laps to prove myself, not 400. I have to make the most of every lap.”
He’s come full circle since that confrontation. Dating back to last year’s event at LMS, Keselowski has two wins, one pole, 13 top fives and 21 top 10s in NASCAR Nationwide competition and also won his first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race. He’s the leader of a resurgent group of series-only regulars, six of whom are currently ranked in the top 10.

The Rocketman Ryan Newman nabs 600 pole

1 39 Ryan Newman
2 18 Kyle Busch
3 24 Jeff Gordon
4 5 Mark Martin
5 48 Jimmie Johnson
6 9 Kasey Kahne
7 09 Mike Bliss
8 83 Brian Vickers
9 42 Juan Pablo Montoya
10 21 Bill Elliott
11 87 Joe Nemechek
12 1 Martin Truex Jr.
13 11 Denny Hamlin
14 20 Joey Logano #
15 19 Elliott Sadler
16 16 Greg Biffle
17 2 Kurt Busch
18 82 Scott Speed #
19 99 Carl Edwards
20 96 Bobby Labonte
Continue reading The Rocketman Ryan Newman nabs 600 pole

three at Lowes Motor Speedway

Busch Tries For Triple Play At LMS

Kyle Busch made his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut at LMS at this race in 2003, starting fifth and finishing second for team owner Joe Nemechek (who won this race in 1997).
His results since then are well documented: 24 NASCAR Nationwide wins, the most among his 50 national series victories. He currently leads the series standings by 37 points over Carl Edwards.
Busch’s four wins at LMS are the most he’s accumulated at any one track in NASCAR Nationwide competition. He swept the 2008 races and will try to become the third driver to win three straight there, joining Rob Moroso (1988-89) and Mark Martin (1995-96).

Tony Stewart: 14 In Victory Lane- FINALLY. I won for Jamie Lynn of the MCF : )

A WORD FROM GENNA:
A lot of us Tony fans knew it would happen, eventually. We waited for it, betted on it, and held our breath each week but I don’t think any of us were really expecting when and where it did happen.
Of course, that’s just Tony! When he wins, he does it in a BIG way. Saturday night’s race at LMS was no different.
I am not really interested in recapping the race, which I watched twice, but I do want to point out a few highlights before I discuss my feelings and thoughts on Tony’s huge victory.
Sam Hornish Jr. and Jamie McMurray – They put on quite a show in the Sprint Showdown, for sure! I wasn’t even sure Jamie could race his way in but boy did he prove me wrong! And how about that Sam Hornish? He pretty much dominated the second half of the showdown.
Joey Logano – And you thought he didn’t have fans!! I was so happy to see my favorite rookie, Joey, get voted by the fans into the All Star Race. Even better was when he finished 8th place- better than half the field! He really showed everyone what he is made of and proved that he deserves to be where he is. Way to go Joey!
Matt Kenseth – As you probably know, I love Matt! It was awesome to see him up there really contending for the win and putting on a great show. I think most of us wondered what happened to him after his explosive beginning to 2009. Looks like he’s back!
Tony Stewart – Of course. The winner of the race who I don’t think even led a lap until 2 to go! As a matter of fact, according to NASCAR.com, he took final lead on lap 99 of 100. Amazing!!
As a huge Tony Stewart fan since my rookie year, 2004, I have to say that this was probably one of my top three favorite moments. First being Tony’s second championship in 2005 and probably a tie between his first Indy win and his first Talladega win last year.
At first, there were really no tears, just a lot of screaming. The tears came later. It finally sank in- Tony really won! He finally pulled that number 14 Office Depot/Old Spice Chevy into victory lane! When he stood up on that car and held his arms up in the classic victory pose, I lost it.
I admit it, I’ve developed a reputation for getting really emotional over race wins, I just can’t help it. It all started last season. After an overwhelmingly bad start to the 2008 season for my top three (Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, and Greg Biffle), I was pretty frustrated. Then Greg Biffle won Loudon and I pretty much lost it. Then he won Dover.
All the emotions and frustrations of the season, watching your drivers have bad luck, accidents, and get basically cheated out of wins and then to finally have one of my top three (who are all basically tied in my mind) win not just once but twice in a row, it was pretty emotional for me.
Fast forward to Phoenix 2009 and Mark Martin leads the field. I mean he KILLED it that night. When he led the field to the green in the final segment of the race (and I’m getting a little teary eyed right now), I was shaking! The tears flowed and flowed all night.
Of course Tony’s win on Saturday was just the icing on the cake of this season! If he doesn’t win another race this season, it will be enough for me!
Congratulations to Tony, Gene Haas, Darian Grubb, and the entire #14 team on their amazing win at Lowes Motor Speedway!!!

Open Wheel drivers in NASCAR

Starting With Hornish, Open-Wheel Exodus Especially Evident This Week

Sam Hornish enjoyed his first NASCAR victory this past Saturday, winning the Sprint Showdown, which qualified him for the elite all-star field. It was a major breakthrough for the 2006 Indianapolis 500 champion, who left open-wheel racing prior to the 2008 season, for NASCAR.
With the Indianapolis 500 also being held Sunday, it’s interesting to note the various former open-wheelers such as Hornish who have left open-wheel for stock cars, including:
2000 Indy 500 champion Juan Pablo Montoya; Tony Stewart, the 1997 IndyCar Series champion; Jeff Gordon; Robby Gordon; Kasey Kahne; Casey Mears; AJ Allmendinger; Scott Speed; Dave Blaney; Max Papis.

Jeff Gordon has back procedure, will race the 600

AFTER BACK PROCEDURE, GORDON READY FOR 600 MILES AT LMS
CONCORD, N.C. (May 19, 2009) - For the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, it is back to points racing this Sunday night at Lowe’s Motor Speedway. For Jeff Gordon, the 600-miler provides a test for his back after a recent procedure to ease pain. Gordon, who has experienced progressively worse back pain over the past few years, had treatment on Monday.
The driver of the No. 24 DuPont Chevrolet hopes the
procedure will alleviate much – if not all – of the pain. “I had a facet block procedure done on my back on Monday and it went well,” said Gordon. “I was a little sore after the procedure, but I’ll definitely take that brief bit of soreness if it stops the recurring back pain I’ve had.
“I hope that will end the back issues I’ve been having, but it’s too early to tell if that fixed the problem.”
Never mind 600 miles on Sunday, Gordon may have a better understanding of the
results of the procedure by midweek. He is scheduled to participate in “Ultimate Speed” on
Wednesday – a karting event that will raise money for the Jeff Gordon Foundation and the
Jeff Gordon Children’s Hospital in Concord.
Continue reading Jeff Gordon has back procedure, will race the 600

50 Years of the Coca-Cola 600

50 Years of “Firsts”: Coca-Cola 600 History Overflows With Highlights
Sunday will be the 50th running of the Coca-Cola 500, one of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ true “majors.”
It is NASCAR’s longest race – and one of the most historically significant, having been the scene of a number of “firsts” in the form of NASCAR Sprint Cup debuts, or a driver’s first win in the series.
Some highlights:
Series debuts – Dale Earnhardt in 1975; Janet Guthrie in 1976; Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 1999; Michael Waltrip in 1985; Elliott Sadler in 1998.
First Series Victories – David Pearson in 1961; Jeff Gordon in 1994; Bobby Labonte in 1995; Matt Kenseth in 2000; Casey Mears in 2007.

Last edited by Space; 05-23-2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: EnJoy the Race..Go Chevy : )
Old 05-23-2009, 04:48 AM

CHARLOTTE

5 p.m. ET Sunday
FOX

CHARLOTTE

7 p.m. ET Saturday
ESPN2

DOVER

8 p.m. ET May 29
SPEED

May I take your order?

Six hundred miles is a long, draining race. So what do drivers eat to stay mentally and physically fit during Sunday night's marathon? Jimmie Johnson has an energy bar. Kyle Busch would like to have a hamburger. Jeff Burton? He prefers nothing at all.

Charlotte: Lineup | Practice 1 | Garage Cam | Video: Drivers get prepared for 600
Charlotte

Smith recalls opening track 50 years ago

A Charlotte track was logical, but so were problems for Bruton.
LMS Track Facts

Track's light gamble a smashing success

Bruton Smith's top achievement at Charlotte track: Night racing.
Great moments at LMS

King hosts karting event for veterans

Richard Petty's charity event helps out Paralyzed Veterans.
Around the Track

No. 17 history has trio of champions

Kenseth continues title tradition set by champs Pearson, Waltrip.
No. 17 Modern History

Vintage sponsor with new, old presence

Young Tony still graces front of Coke machines in some small towns.
Get your tickets

Rain leaves parts of Daytona under water

Track surface flooded; officials more concerned about community.
Daytona Track Page

Cup's endurance race a physical challenge

Martin the one some drivers pointing to as favorite due to fitness.
Fantasy Report

TNT unveils plans for its Summer Series

Network, partners will continue longstanding coverage of sport.
TNT Summer Series

Old 05-23-2009, 04:56 AM

Space Picks
1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Martin Truex, Jr
3. Denny Hamlin
7. Mark Martin
8. Jeff Gordon
9. Jeff Burton
10. Joey Logano

Member's Post your Predictions for the Race.
Post Top "3" or Top "10"
It's free, and the member with the best picks
wins a year free membership to the MCF WoW

Old 05-23-2009, 06:19 AM

Is it `Jimmie's Turn Again 2 Win ?
He has proven talent, a great team, a super fast
Chevy, but will he have Rac'in Luck this Weekend ?

He is a Proven Champion, and represents NASCAR
with a Humble Spirit 2 go `Fast
Member's post your favorites to Win...
THere's Plenty of Space below...
EnJoy the Race

Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

my picks:

1. tony stewart (surprise surprise!)
2. ryan newman
3. kyle busch

i think jimmie johnson will run up front most of the night, or at least when it matters. i'm holding on to tony's momentum from last weekend and hoping he has a great setup going into the nighttime segment of the race and he's up front. i'm very excited, this is always a long, grueling race. you might see some of the usual front runners hang around toward the back early, and let the chaos ensue around them, and do everything possible to stay out of the big wrecks (and there will be many). they'll start making their way to the front toward the end of the race, once the sun is set and the track is cooled off. they'll struggle with setups early in the race, while the sun is still out and the track is hot, since the cars are mostly set up for the later portion when it's cooler.

in 2005 they set the nascar record (for any track) for cautions with i believe 21, the previous record was 20 at bristol. lowe's is similar to daytona and talladega in that you'll see some big wrecks that take out a lot of cars.

can't wait to see how it all plays out!!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think this will be another Hendricks runaway. Its actually getting out of control - soon other teams will complain. Anyway, I don't expect Jr's luck to change here and I don't give any credit to Newman as a driver. He won't even be there at the end

My picks
1. Jimmie Johnson
2. Mark Martin
3. Jeff Gordon

I really wanna believe in Martin - the guy is on fire... honestly! By this is Jimmie's house, I often think these "Lowe's Motor Speedway" races are rigged for him

Old 05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I'd like to see Dale Jr win a race for a change. But realistically...

My picks
1. Kyle Busch
2. Mark Martin
3. Martin Truex Jr.

I do have to mention what a surprisingly good year rookie Joey Logano is having. But I would still take Tony Stewart over him any day. (duh.)

Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM

currently starting to downpour in charlotte. they've already done all the opening ceremonies so hopefully, once the rain stops and the track is dry, they'll get the command to fire engines and will get this race underway. they just showed a shot of what i think was the backstretch, and you could see the rain literally coming down the track in a line as the cloud moved overhead. that was interesting. it's raining pretty hard though so it's going to be a while till they get started. :P

Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

hey, has the race been cancelled or re-scheduled? i left for a few minutes and now they are not covering it??

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 05-24-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM

they're still in a "weather delay". they're just showing animation domination (american dad, king of the hill, simpsons, family guy) until they are ready to go green. they keep coming back in every 10 minutes saying they do plan on going racing tonight. they're still working on getting the track and pit road completely dry, but it's getting there!!

Quick Reply: NASCAR: 05/23/09 ~> Updates