NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

David Pearson Signed a picture of my Torino!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default David Pearson Signed a picture of my Torino!!!

A few weeks ago, NASCAR ran an article about David Pearson at the revealing of the new paint job that would go on to win the 500. There was a mention there of how Pearson answered a lot of his mail on Sunday. And that got me to thinking... why don't I try to get him to tell me a little about his experience driving '68 and '69 Torinos? I got a response in the mail Thursday, and got opened it on Sunday....

Here is the picture I sent him... and 8x10...

It reads "To Duane, With Best Wishes, David Pearson, #21" (Ironically, he drove the 17 when he was in a Torino... Yarborough drove the 21, but I guess that habit of signing a 21 breaks hard)

Then he sent me this note. It reads:

"The Torino was a great race car in 68 & 69. I have my road car now it has 40 thousand miles on it." (I had asked him what he thought of the Torino as a driver, and if he ever had a street version... apparently he still owns a Torino)

He also gave me this card...

"To Duane, David Pearson, #21 and #17"

So since I had success with Pearson.... there are still a few guys who drove these cars around. The Wood Brothers, who just won the Daytona 500, prepared a '68 Cyclone (which is a Mercury version of the car... different grill, hood, fenders, and taillight panel), Cale Yarborough drove the car for them in '68 and '69, Junior Johnson prepared these cars for Lee Roy Yarbrough, and Richard Petty ran one, but he never drove a '68... he drove the '69's and the Talladegas. I think Bobby Allison may have driven one in '68, but I'm almost certain he drove a Dodge Charger Daytona by '69. I can't think of anyone else very famous who drove a Torino... so do you guys think I should try out some of these guys and have a collection of pictures with signatures?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duane, that is the coolest thing ever, congrats man, I'm floored with the response from him.. wow, I can't even express my enthusiasm with that..

EDIT: that is way beyond cool man, freaking awesome man...

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 02-25-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: had to add to my original, awesome....
Old 02-26-2011, 06:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Richard Petty for crying out loud! He was the only other (the other being Dale Jr #8) famous enough to make it into Pixars Cars (was a superbird in the movie)

I'm a huge Petty fan and also hold Ontario vanity plates "43 STP"

Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Hi `Duane,
I did not know who David Pearson was, but I learn so much on the MCF..It's great that he took the time to reply and send to you his correspondence (note/`sig/etc)..It reflects the quality of his character as a man, and as a race car driver 4-Sure...
Thanks for sharing with your Monte Carlo Family ->EnJoyed.

I would continue your pursuit of obtaining other drivers `sig's + for your personal collection....Good Luck & `Thanks

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

15 Year Member

You don't know David Pearson? You need to Google or Youtube the '76 Daytona 500 (just the finish) - everybody is talking about that one lately...

Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 AM

LOL `Brent, I just did, and read about his career in racing..
It was way b-4 my time, but I admire his racing background 4-Sure..I'd like 2 C NASCAR go back 2 that type of racing where stock car racing------>was Rac'in : )

So much 2 `do, so little time to learn everything that has happened in the past, the present, and what may happen in our future ~>

Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Congratulations!!! Dont' forget to keep the envelope also as proof

Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 AM

That is very cool indeed and props to Pearson for caring enough about his fans to sign those pics.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidSpace
LOL `Brent, I just did, and read about his career in racing..
It was way b-4 my time, but I admire his racing background
I remember it vividly, even though I was only 1 year old. I was in my crib and rooting for Petty. When Petty got it moving the wrong way and Pearson got across the line first I literally crapped myself

Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I remember it vividly, even though I was only 1 year old. I was in my crib and rooting for Petty. When Petty got it moving the wrong way and Pearson got across the line first I literally crapped myself

..`Brent & friends watching NASCAR during their early years..They still get 2gether 2day & watch the races 2gether

Quick Reply: David Pearson Signed a picture of my Torino!!!