NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

Chicago to kick start the 2011 Chase!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Chicago to kick start the 2011 Chase!!

Hot off the press!!1

http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/opin...ago/index.html

Really, when you think Chicago, do you think NASCAR? I agree that New Hampshire did not deserve to be in the chase, it was just a little too boring to me, but Chicago? I would have gone with Las Vegas, then maybe Bruton Smith could take his head out of his *** for a few weeks before he starts telling us how Kentucky (which is getting one race next year) needs 2 races instead of just 1.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Doesn't really matter were they race I am not a fan of the chase points system in its current state. I dont think a team that worked hard to get a lead on everyone should have that taken away from them or at least shrunk down to almost nothing. Hopefully Harvick will maintain his lead and finally win a cup but if not I dont care who it is as long as its not jimmy johnson.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM

5 Year Member

I was excited about it when they first introduced it. But someone prove to me it has produced better racing? In the last 4 years, it has just given Jimmie a title. Carl Edwards would have had '08, Jeff would be a 6 timer now, and I think Jimmie would have actually won in like '06 and '09.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Chicagoland isn't very Nascar or exciting, but the first Chase race needn't be anything prestigious or special. Its the last race that's important.

I like the Chase in concept and its worked out pretty good IMO. If you don't like the way they reset the points now then you really won't like what they have in store. But I think its cool and its more like other sports by having playoffs in which the last seeded team can still win a championship if they get their sh*t together. I do think Nascar should do more to celebrate the driver with the most points at the end of the regular season (ie before the Chase begins)

Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM

5 Year Member

I think NASCAR's goal is to get people who aren't really taht into NASCAR to get into it. By having a big kick off and a lot of attention on a big race to start a chase for a championship, they are hoping to get a lot of people to watch the other races to see how the chase for the cup turns out. I think until Jimmie loses, a lot of people aren't too concerned about it.

The first year or so made some exciting racing. Watching Kurt Busch and Jimmie battle for the championship at Homestead in 2004 or so was some great racing. But since then, the Chase hasn't produced what it is really meant to. NASCAR has this philosophy that if it isn't broke, we'll work on it until it is.

If I were making a chase, here is how it works. First place is reset to 6000 points. Every driver behind him will eb seperated by 20 points (2nd: 5980, 3rd: 5960, etc.) For every win, you get an additional 10 points in the chase. However, once the chase starts, bonus points are finished. After that, the regular points system takes hold, and we've got 10 races to go. Have fun!

Drivers talk all of the time about how they are out for bonus points, and it can happen, but I have yet to see a driver decide that he wasn't going ot just settle for 5th and go drive his heart out for a win. Even Harvick's crew said they are gonig to keep doing what they were doing, they don't seem concerned about it. The only way to make drivers drive their asses off for a win is going to be to run 36 races and then have a championship race (singular, not plural, ONE race) where we take the top 12, give them a week to practice, and then hold one race for the championship. Change the track every year, ban testing at that track from the end of the previous season until the championship the next season is settled.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 08-09-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I heard this on the local news this morning and kinda ignored it. I really don't care.

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 08-10-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Nhra there is nothing like 8000 hp baby this is just me i dont want to see guys go around and around and around

Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 AM

I think that the Chicago area has the population to support NASCAR Racing, but to me it has all come down to the $'s.
Like many sports, it's BIG Business, and Big dollars.

I still enjoy following NASCAR, especially the talent of the drivers and watching who has the best car/best team/best racing luck to win...and the most dollars.

I still enjoy the local tracks over NASCAR....I know I have more fun racing go Karts or watching them race @ a lot less cost....Oh, I do love the sounds of Power : )

It sure has become very expensive for a family, or group of friends to attend a NASCAR event....

I would love to see more RoadCourse Racing, and I'd love to see them Race in the Rain : ) That's all I have to contribute
this early morn'in hour of a new day.
Peace/Happy~>Out : )

Last edited by Space; 08-11-2010 at 06:37 AM.