NASCAR Racing The worlds largest professional racing series. Are you a fan? Discuss all things NASCAR here.

= Last 2 Laps @ Daytona 500 - 2014 =

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up = Last 2 Laps @ Daytona 500 - 2014 =

Hi Member's,
Below is the last two laps @ Daytona
in case you missed `it or just want 2 see it again.
It's about 2minute > EnJoy
Congrat's to Dale `Jr

Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Default Recap

Monday, February 24, 2014

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Wins Daytona 500

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida – A decade after his first DAYTONA 500 victory, Dale Earnhardt Jr. returned to Gatorade Victory Lane in a thrilling finish to the 56th annual DAYTONA 500 on Sunday at Daytona International Speedway.

After being the runner-up three of the last four years in the DAYTONA 500, Earnhardt – who had not won a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway since his Budweiser Duel and Sprint Unlimited wins during the 2008 Speedweeks – took the time to let it soak in with a long, reverse-lap drive down the frontstretch of the 2.5-mile tri-oval, showing his appreciation for the win and for the fans.

“To win this race is the greatest feeling you can feel in this sport, aside from accepting the trophy for the championship,” said Earnhardt after climbing out of the No. 88 National Guard Chevrolet. “I didn’t know if I’d ever get a chance to feel this again and it feels just as good, if not better than the first (win) because of how hard we tried year after year after year, running second all of those years.

“This race car was awesome. We showed them all night long what a good car we had,” continued Earnhardt, who led a race-high 54 of the 200 laps. “That (car) could do anything – we fought off battles after battles and we got a little help from Jeff (Gordon) at the end to get away on that restart. This is amazing. I can’t believe this is happening. I’ll never take this for granted because this doesn’t happen twice, let along once, so I’m thankful.”

Coming in second was Denny Hamlin in the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota. After winning The Sprint Unlimited and his qualifying race in the Budweiser Duel, Hamlin hoped to become the first driver to ever win all three of the Sprint Cup Series races during Budweiser Speedweeks. Hamlin had a strong car and remained in the lead pack throughout the night despite being without radio communication for the majority of the race.

“There’s a lot to be disappointed about, but there’s a lot to be happy about,” Hamlin said. “My radios weren’t working so I had to wing it those last 150 laps on my own. With not having a spotter there on that last (restart), I didn’t know whether to back up more. I was just trying not to wreck anyone, trying not to get in trouble, trying to spot all six corners by myself. Still a great run, but I am a little disappointed.

“Any other year I probably would have been jumping up and down,” Hamlin said about his finish. “We can hardly finish these races, much less have a shot at a victory.”

Being his own spotter was quite a feat for Hamlin in a race where the top drivers in the world showcased their talent racing two- and three-wide the entire race. There were 42 lead changes among 18 drivers, the most in the season opener since 2011.

Hendrick Motorsports had a strong showing and held the top-three spots with under 10 laps to go. Gordon ended up fourth and defending race and series champion Jimmie Johnson fifth. Chevrolet held five of top-10 positions and has won the DAYTONA 500 six of the last seven years.

The 43-car field included nine former DAYTONA 500 champions and seven Rookie of the Year candidates. With a ninth-place finish, the highest-finishing rookie was Austin Dillon, who qualified the No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet on the pole and led the first lap. The race marked the return of the No. 3 car to NASCAR Sprint Cup competition. Dillon was involved in multiple incidents during the race and admitted it was a learning experience.

“It was a good run. I felt like we were a pinball out there a little bit,” Dillon said. “I learned a lot. Definitely the rookie stripes were out tonight, but somehow we ended up with a top 10.”

The race was red flagged for 6 hours, 21 minutes and 40 seconds for rain and slowed seven times for 39 laps.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Damn Denny almost had that one Pretty bummed about a 2nd place

Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Hi `Devin, you win some & you lose some... I think Denny did pretty good @ Daytona with 2 wins & a 2nd place... He has the rest of the year to continue to show his talents.

I did not look @ your picks in our NASCAR thread, but I bet Denny was one of them Just wait & see what happens in Calif...

Thanks Cowboy `Duane for your Super MCF NASCAR contest for all our member's.

Member's check out our MCF NASCAR Thread: It's not to late to join in on the fun & picks your favorite drivers in each race.
`Duane runs a super contest for our member's.

Last edited by Space; 02-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Hey Space, It was a good race for sure!
Just wish Denny could've came home with that win! Still a 2nd place, i can wear my Denny hat proudly

I'm curious how close was that Tornado to you?! It was pretty clear on both Radar and on the Daytona track cameras! That was a powerful storm

Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Smile Peace & Happiness to the Reader of this Thread : )

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Hey Space,I'm curious how close was that Tornado to you?! It was pretty clear on both Radar and on the Daytona track cameras! That was a powerful storm

Hi `Devin, I'm really not sure & I seen that awesome picture your posted on the NASCAR Thread of the tornado It looked like it was west of the Track & I'm about 75 + miles or more south. Just about a hour & 15 + minutes away!! Faster `if I had a ZR-`1 or Z06 (LOL)

I do feel like a tornado hit me today (LOL)...It's was a long day 4 me @ the warehouses & also 2day... It's Florida (one minute it sunny & clear & a few minutes later it can be thunderstorms + +. The price one must pay to live in paradise > Thanks for your post & concerns... The Wizard of Oz decided to leave me along this time

Last edited by Space; 02-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 AM

everyone in front of my tv was happy,happy,happy @jr88er